LegacyGT.com

6MT Master Swap Thread

HAMMER DOWN

Hey guy's! I have been roaming and doing A LOT of research for my 2006 legacy gt for my future build plans with the motor and tranny. I am going to be getting a fully built motor from maxwell motorsports and doing a 6spd STI swap. Have read the heck out of this thread and especially the first page.. Anways I just wanted to verify with the parts list that I need

Will be going with recipe A because like the OP I would like the R180 rear diff which is stronger..

Does this all look right and everything that i need for the swap?...

Transmission options: 04/05 STI V7 Non DCCD JDM or earlier model Jdm V7

Rear diff options: 04/05 STI, possibly 07-09 Legacy GT R160**?

Rear axles: 07-09 Spec B (axles 28421AG03B, axle seals 806732200)

Front axles: Regular LGT***

Driveshaft: use a Spec B driveshaft, and replace the differential's input flange with the R160 flange. Or i could purchase a 2.5i 08+ automatic driveshaft?

6MT shift linkage from spec b..

6mt clutch fork

6mt clutch release shaft

6mt clutch slave cylinder

6mt clutch hose

6mt throw out bearing

6mt rear transmission mount

Reverse lock out cable (does this have to be spec b?)

R180 Diff mount from spec b?

Clutch fork shaft plug

Output Shaft Oil Seal

Clutch fork spring

Inner shift boot

Am i missing anything? or what I have listed too much?

Thanks guys

Definitely use a lift. I have done 99% of my swap thus far on a lift and it has been 100% easier than all the other work done on jackstands. I am currently at a standstill as my 6mt slave cylinder that came with my trans is bad. :( However, as soon as that is fixed, I will post up my experience. I also went with Recipe A. I am using an STi Cobb STS with the STi reverse lockout and a few well-placed zip ties on the spec.b shift linkage, and everything looks good so far. Many thanks to all those in this thread who have already done this swap, as literally, I could not have done it without all of the knowledge your experiences brought to light.

Does anyone know if the STi Clutch Master Cylinder is compatible with the LGT? I know they aren't the same part number, just thought I'd ask, since the impreza variation is so much cheaper.

If using a spec.b transmission, does the neutral sensor still need to be swapped over? I guess I'm not quite sure what the reason is for making the swap--is it legacy vs impreza or 6mt vs 5mt?

The 6 speed Neutral Safety Switch has a reverse polarity to the 5 speed switch for some reason. It is a matter of the "ECU" obtaining the correct data from the switch so I guess it is more of a 5mt vs. 6mt thing. You DO want to change it out while the transmission it out of the car. I didn't swap mine out when I did my 6 speed, and had to do it with the transmission in the car. It was not a bunch of fun since the NSS is on the TOP of the 6 speed.

• Moderators
Good idea. My shop pulled the 6MT harness & switches & used all the original 5MT stuff... cruise & reverse lights work as stock. It's one of the few things they did right.

I'm hesitant to do too much since I'm going to have andrewtech do the swap, but is that basically the case that all of the 6mt stuff can be removed and replaced with the 5mt stuff, harness and all?

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

I usually agree but changed tranny in a Avalon for my parents and regretted it. Subframe had to come out which wich meant car had to be lifted off lift platforms just as high as it would from ground. After it setting on platforms i had to wedge cherry picker up against end of lift and hook come along up and pull it from under the car.. Giant pain in the ass

Point of story i have to be able to remove items between the ramps/platforms of the 4 post lift. I assume the suby stuff would fit but figured it was worth asking.

Thanks,

Anthony

Unclemat,

You pull motor out from top right? No dropping subframe.

Are you working from ground or jackstands correct?

Im thinking of pulling whole thing so i can do some preventative seal changes. I am also doing timing belt.

Also you guys recommending a lift realize i am using 4 post with ramps not a 2 post with swing arms?

TIA,

Anthony

Interesting, if it's with a 4 post, there isn't as much that can be done with the lift besides pulling exhaust components, driveshaft.. i think that's about it. Most of the work can be done on jackstands, just more on your back and less standing.

If by 4 post lift you mean drive-on lift, I would not use it. It would be in the way and I'd do it on jack stands anyway. For example, one needs to remove wheels and disconnect the control arms from the frame (or hub, and well, at least one, but two makes it easier), to be able to insert axles into the tranny. Rear wheels also need to come off for rear axles swap (assuming R180 swap).

I hope you are not thinking i´m a big noob. Maybe i have asked my question not so clear. Can i install the tranny without speedometer sensor only with screw nut to close the hole from the sensor shaft - or is the (dead) sensor needed to let the speedometer shaft work without destroying the tranny.

There is a little price difference between sensor and nut.

Sorry, actually I was responding hastily and did not think when I wrote my answer. This is actually a good question - I do not know, both of my 6MTs are MY08 models, so no speed sensor on them.

Well, everything is in the car, except I'm still wiring up the DCCDPro, but hardware-wise it's all put back together. Now I'm having the fabled clutch bleeding issue. I can't seem to get enough pressure in my system? After bleeding 10 or 15 times, gravity and pressure bleeding, I still can only get the slave to actuate the clutch fork for maybe half of the travel that it needs to, pedal travel is full, never sticks. I have a brand new slave and master cylinders, and a SS clutch line. Anyone have any tricks or tips that I may have missed to get this up and running?