LegacyGT.com

To mammoth and back.... to so cal..

well awd_rule and exlkid told their snow adventure i'll share my snow adventure.. :)

awd_rule said it in his story, the legacy is definately not for show.. it's a do-er!! there was just one instance where i lost control of the car (more on that later), but for the most part i felt confident.

went up late saturday afternoon. there was some snowing. the legacy, with r92's with 8k, climbed up the montain just fine. not to mention the so cal rain prior to the snow.

on sunday, my wife wanted to see some sites, so we did a lot of 'off roading' on un-shoveld paths. i never felt like i would loose confidence. there was a 'dirt' parking lot at south mono lake with no cars and nice patch of snow.. did some donuts and sliding.. lots of fun!! pic below. i think i pissed off a couple people. a couple family parked their car on the main road and hiked about a mile to the parking lot because the road was not cleared.. i just drove right pass them.. i guess they were scared of getting stuck.. i don't know.. :)

on monday we went boarding and send my 6 yr to boarding lesson.. tons of fun.. on the way back to the inn, as i was driving down murieta a large SUV was following me.. i can't say i was driving slow, 45 mph, but i wasn't driving fast either. in any case, the SUV was following me really close. like he was trying to keep up.. i don't know.. but i just wasn't feeling comfortable with his distance. well on the way down 1/2 miles before the light where exlkid has his accident there was a sharp left. as i made the turn, i felt i lost traction. total feeling of understeer.. the back wheels were pushing but my front tires weren't catching. luckily instead of keeping my foot on the gas and trying to oversteer to compensate i just let go gas.. within a fraction of a second, the front tires caught traction again and i made sharp left turn (at the beginning steer a little more not too much). it was bit scary! i guess there was a patch of ice. as i look in my rear view mirror i see the SUV go foward then sharp left and then sharp right and BAM right off the road and into a tree.. i don't know, it was late, my son wanted to go home so i didn't stop. i did call it in.

a couple of snow play days for my kids and did another 1/2 day of boarding and home i came..

the bum warmers were great!! loved them!!

the car had a hard time starting every morning. it turned over the first time, but it didn't sound good.

learned not to pushed my foot down on the break! locking the wheels and sliding in snow IS SCARY!!

while driving to mammoth, a strange thing happened. i had the cruise control and i swear, the tach drop from 3k to 1.5k then back up to 3k... but a drop like that i should feel it right?!? i did not! oh well.. maybe it was my imagination..

total miles = 1090

mpg = 24.1 per computer

IMG_3632.JPG.4baa27bcdc51ec6060621047fb27dcf6.JPG

ABS doesn't do much on snow or ice since there is so little traction. The only thing you can do is to go slow and brake softly. The instant the brakes lock up and the ABS kicks in, there's so little friction that it's very difficult for the wheels to start rolling again and regain traction.

Archived