LegacyGT.com

Just received a letter from Subaru, re: 2006 vehicles emission reprogramming

Did anyone else with a 2006 receive this letter? Thoughts?

------

Subaru Service Program WVU-31

Dear Subaru Owner:

We would like to thank you for choosing a 2006 model year Subaru. At Subaru, we take pride in our products and are committed to your continued satisfaction. It is with your continued satisfaction in mind that we are announcing the following service program.

Subaru has developed a modification to the Engine Control Module software logic that will improve the performance of your vehicle’s emission control system. This software change will not adversely affect fuel economy or performance.

This software update is intended to improve vehicle emissions when the vehicle is operated in cold weather and the engine is turned off and restarted within short periods of time, such as in several minute intervals.

WHAT WE ARE ASKING YOU TO DO

Since this software update will improve the performance of your vehicle's emission control system, we suggest that you schedule an appointment with your Subaru dealer soon to have the Engine Control Module reprogrammed. This procedure will take approximately 40 minutes to complete. However, it may be necessary for you to leave your vehicle longer on the day of your appointment to allow your dealer flexibility in scheduling. Your Subaru dealer will perform this update at no cost to you.

I had this done to my BL. Don't remember the exact mileage. Bewteen 75-80K

May not be related, but a few months later I had an O2 sensore fail. Ran rich before I finally replaced it. During that time (2-3 weeks) my rich condition caused the front cat to clog.

While experiencing this issue, spoke to my service advisor and she told me if I had a problem with my cat to come back to them. They had just had some issues and extended the warranty on the cats.

Keep track of your mileage and any issues that may come up down the road.

O.

Kinda odd since I just had my car in for a reflash that was supposed to be something about a fix for reduced lifespan of the cats in cold weather.

Current: 16 Crosstrek Premium w/ Eyesight & 05 Outback XT 5MT

Past Subies: 14 FXT Premium, 14 WRX hatch, 06 Legacy 2.5i SE 5MT, 98 Outback wagon

I just received this letter yesterday too. I believe in the phrase, " If it ain't broke, don't fix it". Does anyone think this may cause problems later on down the road since the car has been running the same way for 100,000 miles?

Im a tech at a dealership its only for NA's. The purpose of it is changing the fueling map to help with not haveing so many cat failures.

Can you say a little more ?

The way the letter is worded, it sounds like it's a complete non-issue UNLESS you turn you car on and off within a short period of time in cold weather. I just don't do that.

Is it likely to help with my cat life even if I don't exhibit this behavior ?

When I got the all in one key programmed setup last week they tried to pin me down for this recall. Now they called back to schedule it this week. Are we sure it's something that needs to be done? I don't really get that feeling as I read this strand.

So I just went to the dealer and had them perform this reprogramming.

They explained it as (paraphrasing) an issue when you're being emission tested. Here in Colorado they turn your car off in the middle of the test procedure causing an sensor to reset. That reset causes a lot of false fails. So they reprogrammed the ECM so that that one sensor wouldn't reset when the car is turned off.

It's beyond me, but I'm sure some/most of you can either call bullshit on that or not.

• 1 month later...
My car goes in Friday for an alignment and the flash.

Current: 16 Crosstrek Premium w/ Eyesight & 05 Outback XT 5MT

Past Subies: 14 FXT Premium, 14 WRX hatch, 06 Legacy 2.5i SE 5MT, 98 Outback wagon

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
This is NOT FOR THE GT cars. The guy at the dealer just told me about this, and after a little googling, and seeing all these 2.5i posters, I went back an asked him. He confirmed it was a mistake and already told the rep as well as updated my records on the computer. Phew, thanks to all here, and the free wifi at the dealership.

Archived