LegacyGT.com

So it seems that plastic part is broked...

...so as we all know, that plastic part on the back of our engines (that was eventually replaced with a metal variant) will crack over time and fail and dump oil everywhere. Well mine seems to have reached that phase because the whole front right side of my suspension is coated with oil. The right side wheel well has oil flung all over it, same with the inside of my wheel itself, and everything on the right side - including the control arm and everything up to and including the hub looks like it was dipped in oil. Plus my car smokes like crazy between oil on the engine and oil on the exhaust burning off.

So, my friend informed me that to get to this $20 part involves either pulling the engine out ro dropping the transmission (which is apparently just about as much work). My question is, since I don't have the patience to wait until tomorrow, does anyone here have an estimate as to how long it takes a shop to do this and how much it would cost? I'm sure someone here has had it done. I know it's going to be expensive... ugh.

Yes, please describe the part so I can check and see if mine needs attention. I notice a bit of weeping on the timing belt cover. Is it on the rear at the bell housing, or, on the rear of the side?

I can't take a photo as you cannot see it without separating the transmission, but it is WHERE the tranny bolts to the engine, underneath the bell housing. So there's not definite way for you to check it, or for me to know that's the problem, but it is likely the issue. It's on the right side of the engine if you are sitting in the car. BLARRAGH!

so thats something we should have done as preventative maintenance next time were in for a tranny or clutch or something would be ideal? and do you think your plastic just cracked under old age and cold weather

No, they switched it to a metal piece (which is what they will replace it with) in later years after they realized how stupid it was to have it as plastic. So yes, it is something you should have done whenever you have access to it. It's a known issue with these cars and they all fail (the plastic ones) eventually.

Archived