LegacyGT.com

5EAT Ask your Questions!?!

There is no hard number to refer to, or a guaranteed "it will hold at least xyz".

All we go by is track record, which has established bone stock 5EATs don't last and need as much help as they can get to hold up to more power.

Valve body is a fantastic way to get to that point.

When I started modding the GT I used to ask those very questions, seeking reassurance that my shit will hold together.

But the truth is, that's the wrong approach. The correct approach is the expectation that things WILL break and prepare for it.

There is no hard number to refer to, or a guaranteed "it will hold at least xyz".

All we go by is track record, which has established bone stock 5EATs don't last and need as much help as they can get to hold up to more power.

Valve body is a fantastic way to get to that point.

When I started modding the GT I used to ask those very questions, seeking reassurance that my shit will hold together.

But the truth is, that's the wrong approach. The correct approach is the expectation that things WILL break and prepare for it.

I get that. I was just looking more for ballpark #'s. Is it reasonable to assume Hexmod's vb handle 400whp? 350? 500? Assuming everything else has been engineered/accounted for.

Let's say I ultimately want to end up at 400whp. Which tranny will handle that power more reliably (relatively speaking)?

Everyone keeps saying "go 5MT". It's not a solution, you still need an upgraded clutch and when you figure money lost in selling/trading car, taxes etc plus clutch you're back to square one.

5MTs are not invincible, they do grenade. If I were to trade for a MT, I would do so for the Spec.B 6MT.

Would F1 + Turning up line pressure = brururururrr*chirp*brururururur*chirp*? I'm tempted to see if I can get chirping on shifts :D

Like an F1 + added steroids. I think it would be exciting to try.

Edited by Mill

• Moderators
Would F1 + Turning up line pressure = brururururrr*chirp*brururururur*chirp*? I'm tempted to see if I can get chirping on shifts :D

Like an F1 + added steroids. I think it would be exciting to try.

I love where your heads at on this one. In for results :)

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

I'm going to try it out. Ive got a GoPro with headmount that would be perfect to record this with.

Just want to be sure that the possible shock on the drivetrain would not damage anything... such as the center diff that seems to be made of glass.

The F1 is absolutely great. Best mod ive done to the car. I would like to see if I can take it a step furthur. I believe David described it as "using a grenade launcher to kill a bug" or something like that. I'm looking to take out the everlasting roaches.

I'm going to try it out. Ive got a GoPro with headmount that would be perfect to record this with.

Just want to be sure that the possible shock on the drivetrain would not damage anything... such as the center diff that seems to be made of glass.

The F1 is absolutely great. Best mod ive done to the car. I would like to see if I can take it a step furthur. I believe David described it as "using a grenade launcher to kill a bug" or something like that. I'm looking to take out the everlasting roaches.

I might be able to build you a real neck-snapping valve body in a few months. No promises, but if you really want to test the 5EAT's breaking point then that would be the way to go. I wouldn't run it on mine for fear of breaking things, but it's your car and your freedom to do what you want with it :)

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

i did the self help ClimberD mod with a twist by adding the "orange" spring.

1st to 2nd is a brutal kick. ive only done it 4 times now in 9 months. ive tracked the car hard 3 times now with it and a lot of 2 to 3 shifts that still kick but the star specs no chirp.

i only WOT shift while turning while on the track (Ridge Motorsports Park) endering the straight. its a 2 to 3. it will slip in the rain but kicks hard in the dry. no breakage yet.

BUUUUUUT! im having over heating issues. after 10 mins my hot ATF leaving the tranny is 290+ (cause the gauge ends). my cool side is now 150 (stock then added cooler). it used to be 190 (added then stock).

am i cooling the atf too much and the tranny is doing something to heat it back up? more slipping, a thermo valve in the torque converter holding the cold fluid?

what is the route of atf into and out of the tranny?

thanks all

Triple

I might be able to build you a real neck-snapping valve body in a few months. No promises, but if you really want to test the 5EAT's breaking point then that would be the way to go. I wouldn't run it on mine for fear of breaking things, but it's your car and your freedom to do what you want with it :)

That would be cool, but I like the F1 for normal driving purposes. I was just curious to see if turning up the line pressure with the F1 would do anything drastic.

• Mega Users
^^^^cool, thanks.

so my supper cool fluid sits in the pan and gets sucked up by the pannel filter up into the VB maze channles, clutch packs then TQ???

Pretty much. The torque converter is last because it is the major heat creator.

just get a 5mt or spec b with 6mt . Auto is safe around 300whp mark.

So why does it say on the vb page it's safe for over 350whp? I'm going in for my tune today and just want to be educated on this before talking to my tuner. So what's a reliable number to set the car at with the vb upgrade. Is 350whp a safe area to be playing around in?

torque impresses girrls, hp impresses flat-bills

So why does it say on the vb page it's safe for over 350whp? I'm going in for my tune today and just want to be educated on this before talking to my tuner. So what's a reliable number to set the car at with the vb upgrade. Is 350whp a safe area to be playing around in?

I was running E85 with an 18G on my 5EAT and it was holding with no problems. Even from a dead stop, it shifted perfectly at redline. I had the vb btw.

I was running E85 with an 18G on my 5EAT and it was holding with no problems. Even from a dead stop, it shifted perfectly at redline. I had the vb btw.

how long have you had the VB?

have you ever drained some fluid to look at it?

what should my fluid look like?

after 2000 miles since my VB mod and 2 track days ive drained 1 to 3 quarts out twice now and it looks dark, almost black

while in a water bottle. i cant see through it. but if i drip it on a piece of glass its clean red but not like new. no particulates or chunks.

http://www.yotatech.com/f2/holy-crap-transmission-fluid-looks-like-used-motor-oil-pics-166178/

its similiar to this pic

what should it be like

thanks

after 2000 miles since my VB mod and 2 track days ive drained 1 to 3 quarts out twice now and it looks dark, almost black

while in a water bottle. i cant see through it. but if i drip it on a piece of glass its clean red but not like new. no particulates or chunks.

http://www.yotatech.com/f2/holy-crap-transmission-fluid-looks-like-used-motor-oil-pics-166178/

its similiar to this pic

what should it be like

thanks

I've had the VB for almost a year now, and I've been on e85 almost the whole summer I haven't looked at my fluid, but I checked the level the other day and the color was still pink.

its similiar to this pic

what should it be like

thanks

I checked the dipstick the other day and the fluid was pink. I've had it for about a year now.