LegacyGT.com

Another 08 Stage 2 but problems

ClwLegacyGt08

I need some help, below is what i posted last night after putting my catless invidia dp in. I up the tune to a OTS cobb stage 2. Went out and ran it, had CELS pop up, cleared them, again it happened cleared. I lowered the tune back to stage 1, because the boost was reading high at a little of half throttle. Around 18.2 consistent, before WOT. I step it down to the stage 1 tune, and did a slight acceleration. Got a different CEL, read it with the AP, said misfire in cylinder 4, but by the time i read it, the check engine and other light had already turned off.

My understanding is, is that if it continues to throw the code i'm in some trouble, but it has not in a DD circumstance.

Any help would be awesome...

COPY AND PASTED FROM THE STAGE 2 THREAD:

just went stage two on the OTS map, threw what i believe is the overboost code. It was not excatly "turbo wastegate solinoid 2 code", reset the ecu, did it again, same code. I jumped the map down to the stage 1 93 code, and it threw a misfire in cyclinder 4 on a quarter throttle. Im so worried right now....

I have a slight exhaust leak, but this would cause any of these codes.

MODS:

2008 legacy gt AT

magnaflow catback

accessport, no firmware update cuz i use a mac.

Invidia catless dp...

Confused on the situation. I did not hit wot at all, and most CELs were thrown between a 1/4 and 3/4 throttle. The misfire one worried me, but it was at a very low rpm, and the car didnt shut down. Any help this way?

the first CEL got thrown at about 5500 rpms, which was the turbo wastergate one...

second cel again was thrown at about a 50% throttle, again was turbo wastegate.

I detuned it because boost was holding high @ 18.2 with a 11.1 AFR on the second Pull then the studder would occur and the CEL would pop up. I placed the stage 1 tune for 93 went to about 50% throttle, got a different cell which was the misfire code. The CEL disappeared once i parked the car but i still checked it and it was the misfire in cyclinder 4.

To my understanding, the misfire will only lead to a major problem if the CEL keeps getting thrown in a normal DD type driving. So, im a little confused and need help....

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I just got my stage 2 done. Perrin dp, catted. I had PDX/Jarred do a pro-tune on it with Cobb AP. Ended up at 238 whp, 248 torque. Jarred was pretty happy with the outcome. It pulls hard. Looks like we got about 45 hp over stock and nearly 60 ft/lbs of torque!!! The pro-tune is the way to go if you can, 13 pulls, it is dialed in....

protune can also alleviate the CEL issues of common codes. However, the Cobb OTS maps should take care of the common ones. seems a little strange.
Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

any insight in the misfire code?

Also, i fixed the exhaust leak. Had to weld a 3 inch section in place of the tapered section on the beginning of the mid pipe on the magnaflow. Seems to be running alot smoother. Have not got on it. Did some quarter throttle pulls no CELS.

If you read the CEL with the AP, then it was most likely incorrect. You need to use a real OBDII scanner and I believe it has to be CAN compatible.

Have you tried using the 2006 built in CEL reader instructions. I'm curious if SOA included it in the later models.

If you read the CEL with the AP, then it was most likely incorrect. You need to use a real OBDII scanner and I believe it has to be CAN compatible.

Have you tried using the 2006 built in CEL reader instructions. I'm curious if SOA included it in the later models.

The AccessPORT will read your DTC codes properly. Ideally, you will want to update the firmware to the latest version. We have also released updated calibrations that you are welcome to download and reflash to the vehicle. We updated the calibrations to help with the overboost these newer Subarus are seeing.

Take care,

Christian.

The AccessPORT will read your DTC codes properly. Ideally, you will want to update the firmware to the latest version. We have also released updated calibrations that you are welcome to download and reflash to the vehicle. We updated the calibrations to help with the overboost these newer Subarus are seeing.

Take care,

Christian.

Did you fix it with the 07-08 models because this was definitely not the case with the 05-06.

Did you fix it with the 07-08 models because this was definitely not the case with the 05-06.
The 07-08 LGTs have a much smaller restrictor pill in the boost control system and the calibrations have needed to be revised to account for this. A smaller restrictor pill allows the system to overboost very easily. Running catless makes this especially problematic. The new AccessPORTs should not have any issues detecting DTCs. Please be sure to let me know if you are having any issues with your AccessPORT so I can get you in contact with the appropriate people at our facility.

Take care,

Christian.

Well, I'm not Stage 2 yet, but I updated the firmware and tossed the 1.03 Stage 1 93oct map on. Wow, what a difference. While it seems like the boost targets may be a bit lower and a bit slower than before, the car no longer feels like it's arguing with itself the entire time over what should be happening. Much, much more drivable/smooth. Thumbs up Cobb, this is how it should've been originally.

My only question is you have the 2008 AT Stg1 93oct map listed as redline of 6700 -- did a quick pull through 2nd in manual mode, it won't go past 6300, so I'm not sure if you just mean fuel maps to 6700 or if you were trying to get the transmission limit raised to 6700 -- if so, it didn't work ;)

The 07-08 LGTs have a much smaller restrictor pill in the boost control system and the calibrations have needed to be revised to account for this. A smaller restrictor pill allows the system to overboost very easily. Running catless makes this especially problematic. The new AccessPORTs should not have any issues detecting DTCs. Please be sure to let me know if you are having any issues with your AccessPORT so I can get you in contact with the appropriate people at our facility.

Take care,

Christian.

Christian, I previously had V101 and just loaded V103 2 minutes ago. What was fixed between the two versions?

Christian, I previously had V101 and just loaded V103 2 minutes ago. What was fixed between the two versions?
This information is contained in our Map Notes (to 07 LGT), which can be viewed or downloaded from our map database (to 08 LGT).

Well, I'm not Stage 2 yet, but I updated the firmware and tossed the 1.03 Stage 1 93oct map on. Wow, what a difference. While it seems like the boost targets may be a bit lower and a bit slower than before, the car no longer feels like it's arguing with itself the entire time over what should be happening. Much, much more drivable/smooth. Thumbs up Cobb, this is how it should've been originally.

My only question is you have the 2008 AT Stg1 93oct map listed as redline of 6700 -- did a quick pull through 2nd in manual mode, it won't go past 6300, so I'm not sure if you just mean fuel maps to 6700 or if you were trying to get the transmission limit raised to 6700 -- if so, it didn't work ;)

I am glad the latest calibrations are performing well for you. I verified on that exact calibration that the Rev Limit is set to 6700. Unfortunately, the AccessPORT programs the ECU not the TCU, if the TCU is sending a signal to set the rev limit for shifting, then that is independent to what is programmed through the AccessPORT.

Take care,

Christian.

^ Christian, Thanks, Yea I looked but failed to scroll down to the second page. Now after reading I think I loaded wrong. I loaded the Reflash map then Realtime on top of it. Should I do it again and only load the Reflash?

Yes, you will need to Reflash the appropriate calibrations for the initial programming. Many critical table changes are not made unless the ECU is Reflashed. Please let me know how your vehicle performs for you after completing this process.

Take care,

Christian.

went stage 2 yesterday with XO2 catless DP installed. Used the v103 map. Seems smoother compared to my stg 1 93oct v101 map. I dont know if im just seeing things or over thinking.

If im cruising in gear at like 2500rpms keeping constant speed, without changing pressure on the pedal. I see Vacum on the boost gauge at a constant number but after liike 10-15 seconds of cruising i see it suddenly dropping even if I dont ease up on the gas pedal. Not sure if its normal or if its just that I never noticed it doing that in Stg 1.

Where you referring to the AP not having accurate CEL codes?

My 05 #1 AP has not picked up any wrong codes so far. And I have gotten overboost, MAP, TGV, and a few other codes from driving conditions or disconnected sensors.

Where you referring to the AP not having accurate CEL codes?

My 05 #1 AP has not picked up any wrong codes so far. And I have gotten overboost, MAP, TGV, and a few other codes from driving conditions or disconnected sensors.

Just do a search on this forum and nasioc. ecuexplorer and the AP for pre-CAN cars all read incorrectly. So far you have been lucky, but if it isn't 100% reliable than it isn't useful. Maybe Cobb's AP for CAN cars works? But it didn't for the 05-06 LGTs.

BTW, look at OP's misfire code. Do you think that was tuning related? Have you ever heard of a tune fixing a misfire code?

I would stick with a real scanner or the built-in code reader.

That is actually a correct code. This code is proprietary to Subaru, this is a special miss-fire condition that throws this code when this proprietary miss-fire condition is detected. Since this code is proprietary to Subaru, the AccessPORT cannot display any other information other that these proprietary miss-fire codes. The AccessPORT is not broken, it can only display the code.

Christian.

Just do a search on this forum and nasioc. ecuexplorer and the AP for pre-CAN cars all read incorrectly. So far you have been lucky, but if it isn't 100% reliable than it isn't useful. Maybe Cobb's AP for CAN cars works? But it didn't for the 05-06 LGTs.

BTW, look at OP's misfire code. Do you think that was tuning related? Have you ever heard of a tune fixing a misfire code?

I would stick with a real scanner or the built-in code reader.

I have been reading a bit.

It obviously reads correctly for many codes, but I will proceed with caution.

Thanks

That is actually a correct code. This code is proprietary to Subaru, this is a special miss-fire condition that throws this code when this proprietary miss-fire condition is detected. Since this code is proprietary to Subaru, the AccessPORT cannot display any other information other that these proprietary miss-fire codes. The AccessPORT is not broken, it can only display the code.

Christian.

You've got to be kidding. PFFFE is NOT a legitimate trouble code. No OBD-II scan tool will ever report that code. The Subaru Select Monitor III will never report that code. Subaru technical literature will never document that code. By regulation, Subaru must adhere to SAE standards for trouble code numbers and meanings and the SAE standard specifies that a powertrain trouble code shall be composed of four decimal digits.

The AccessPort reports PFFFE because it's has a programming error.

And that's not the only trouble code glitch the AP has.

Archived