LegacyGT.com

Left Side Exhaust Valves Question

Need some help...In order to do a leak down test on the left side of the boxer in a GT in order to troubleshoot a potential exhaust valve problem, would the battery have to be removed?

2005 2.5 GT:confused:

Yes in order to put the leak down tester in the spark plug hole the battery is in the way.

Assuming that I have the correct idea about how a leak down tester reads cylinder pressure and since the only hole in the head is the spark plug hole.

You will need to remove the battery to get into the plug hole. You shouldnt need a battery to perform a leak down test as it requires you to just the cylinder sealed you to can pressurize it.

-Jake

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/91072632.jpg http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/133406601.jpg http://upload.pbase.com/image/137566671.jpg Call directly for your best Whiteline Price! | We also carry almost every manufacturer now, so before you buy parts call us.

AIM: AZP Installs | E-mail: sales@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) | T-1 Certified Amsoil Direct Jobber

"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"

Here is some more background on the issue. My GT has 140,000 primarily highway miles and has never been modified. Oil and filter changes every 3,000 with all recommended maintenance either by local Subaru dealer or a neighborhood shop. The check engine light came on late last year along with a flashing cruise control light, but otherwise running fine (no missing at idle). The dealership service dept checked the code and stated that they ran a leak down and compression check. The verdict... "Needs exhaust valves left side". I drive the car for a month follwing this grim diagnosis and the check engine light never returned...the GT still running fine. Left the GT with my neighborhood mechanic this week, who has done many WRX cylinder head jobs. Here is his opinion...

--- twist tie on spark plug wires left side still in place that he put on last time plugs were changed.

--- accumulated corrosion on battery leads present..would have been knocked off had battery been removed..no evidence the plugs had been removed since last tuen up.

--- full leak down and compression check...no problems found

My radio pre-sets are now gone, as the battery was removed for the leak down and compression check. Pre-sets were all there after pulling the car out of the dealership. Bottom line...it looks like my dealer service dept cleared the code and never ran the leak down test.

If you have a trusted local mechanic...why did you go to the stealership ?

Now these things have been known to burn valves. The best thing you can do for the car is have if tuned by a Pro. They have uncovered a timing flaw in the OEM map that causes burnt valves.

If your car runs fine, continue to drive it.

When/If it has trouble idling when cold have the o-rings on the intake to TGV's replaced. When you see the new o-rings next to the old ones you'll understand the issue. It took Subaru 4 years to figure it out. The 09's came with the new o-rings.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

My local mechanic is trusted, but he's not always the guy for checking and clearing codes...at least he's told me that in the past. I've heard about the burned valve issue. Would a Stage I map take care of this potential issue?

Yes it should.

My 05 has been at Cobb AP stage 1 since it came out in Dec 04. It was custom tuned a few years back. That's when my Tuner told me of the timing flaw. W few weeks later I told my Machine shop buddy about the timing flaw. He said "oh, now it makes sense". He get's these head in from the dealerships with burnt valves.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived