LegacyGT.com

Auto up/down windows

tantal

I'm sure I'm not alone in wanting to have full one-touch up/down power windows in my car. I am thinking about how to make it happen. In my 98 A4, the fronts are auto up/down but the rears are auto down only (? wtf ? :confused:). It turns out that it is very easy to add the auto up, just by splicing a single wire into the existing control panel in the door for the window control.

does anyone know if this can be done with the legacy? I have searched, but maybe I looked for the wrong things. I couldn't find anything.

Anyone interested in trying to work on this?

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Im still amazed that the '06 version doesnt have a drivers auto up feature...my 95 Camry had that......lol
You can thank the government. There's a recent federal law that says that auto-up windows have to have pinch protection in their controls. That didn't exist in 95 (the law) and it adds cost to the system..

I have them. Hit the unlock button once on the factory remote=unlock all 4 doors. Hit unlock a second time=all four windows down. When exiting vehicle hit the lock button on remote=all 4 windows all the way up. Also, all four window controls on the drivers door panel are one touch up and down.

I share my shop with an auto electronics guy...he did it for me. He installed box in my drivers door and installed a few things under the drivers side dash. Took him about an hour or so. I can find out more if anyone's interested.

-Lee

You can thank the government. There's a recent federal law that says that auto-up windows have to have pinch protection in their controls. That didn't exist in 95 (the law) and it adds cost to the system..

That doesn't explain why there's no auto-DOWN for any window except the front driver's side. I can understand no auto-up, but no auto-down? :confused:

-=- Livin life at 140 BPM -=-

Guest *Jedimaster*
That doesn't explain why there's no auto-DOWN for any window except the front driver's side. I can understand no auto-up, but no auto-down? :confused:

Because of $$$

Now, someone who works for S.T.A.R Labs should be able to whip up a quickie fix for all this and ship it to us for about 20 bucks. :D

^ that would be cool. But waht about when you are driving? would you be able to have the auto up and down feature work from the door controls? That is what I think most people would like as well, including me.

All four buttons on the driver's door are one touch up and down. However, the buttons on the other 3 doors are not one touch.

I'll have Dave post up some info.

-Lee

I have them. Hit the unlock button once on the factory remote=unlock all 4 doors. Hit unlock a second time=all four windows down. When exiting vehicle hit the lock button on remote=all 4 windows all the way up. Also, all four window controls on the drivers door panel are one touch up and down.

I share my shop with an auto electronics guy...he did it for me. He installed box in my drivers door and installed a few things under the drivers side dash. Took him about an hour or so. I can find out more if anyone's interested.

-Lee

I'm interested too.

I'll have Dave post up some info.

-Lee

Ta da! Here I am...

Basically, John M knows the secret...I adapted the DEI window modules to work with the stock OEM keyless system. This took a bit of work because I needed to differentiate between the "lock" signal from the remote and the "lock" signal from the door switch. In the current generation of Imprezas, this is quite easy since the keyless module and the door lock module (BCM) are separate. But in these new fangled Legacies, it's all one box. So this is how it works...

first unlock from remote = unlock all doors

second unlock from remote = roll down windows

lock from remote = roll up windows ONLY if all doors are closed AND the key is not in the ignition (in any other situation the windows will not roll up)

Since the module is current sensing, it automatically has the ability to stop when an obstruction is encountered. I'm currently working on an additional mod that will allow you to vent the windows before getting out of the car but prevent them from rolling up automatically when you lock the car from the remote (this is something Lee wants).

The installation will take a little more than an hour :lol:...maybe 2-3, depending on whether or not it's 100+ degrees outside (yes, the extreme heat affects my rate of work) and if Lee gets in my way (j/k). Shoot me a PM or send me an e-mail (best way) by going to my profile if you are interested and we will talk more. I would post more information here (like cost) but I can't seem to get vendor status yet, so I'll wait until then.

Thanks for all your interest! Free bump for Lee, he is a great guy and a very good tinter!

-Dave

I design window regulators for a living, and this is correct. In order to put one-touch up on any new car, you must have some sort of anti-trap function in the system. It's mainly to keep kids from strangling themselves in the window, which sadly has happened.

If this is a feature that you guys like, make sure you let Subaru know. In one current program for a domestic automaker, they decided to remove the express down/one-touch up feature as a cost savings. They argue that not many people care about the feature. You need to let them know you do want features such as this. Plus, as a bonus, it keeps me in a job :D

Archived