LegacyGT.com

Headgasket went. Swap time.

So my turbo build blew my headgasket on the 22e. Gotta start the swap stat. Can I put my sensors and all my electronics on the 22t heads? It would really make things a lot easier if my ecu can just power it. I'm investing in a piggy back as well so I can at least kinda tune but I need to get the car running again first.

I am pretty sure the sensors from the 22e are the same as the 22t so you should be good. Are you planning on doing any internal work on the 22t? When I split my 22t block at 170k the main bearings looked brand new.

What heads are you going to run?

Planning on running the turbo heads for now. And I was going to do internal work but since the 22e died on me I need to get this other one running stat. The game plan is to use the turbo block and heads, new headgaskets and valve cover gaskets and then to use my intake manifold and sensors off the 22e so the computer doesn't go stupid on me. Picking up a emanage blue this afternoon so I can piggy back the ecu to tune.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

So my turbo build blew my headgasket on the 22e. Gotta start the swap stat. Can I put my sensors and all my electronics on the 22t heads? It would really make things a lot easier if my ecu can just power it. I'm investing in a piggy back as well so I can at least kinda tune but I need to get the car running again first.

Yes.

However, it would be MUCH better if you stuck with the 22E heads for boost.

They have larger valves/valve openings than the 22T does.

You should swap cams & valve covers from the 22T heads over to the 22E heads & then you will have heads built for turbocharging.

Be warned. your compression ratio will not lower much, if at all.

The pistons & head gaskets to the 22T are what causes the massive compression drop in that particular engine.

Other than cams, valve covers, & valve size, the 22T heads are pretty much 22E heads.

My recommendation would be to put the 22E back together with the head parts from the 22T, run that for a while, & then save the 22T block for boost with the 25D heads (MUST be from 97-99 LGT/Outback as 96 heads have quench chambers that are too large for the 22T cylinders).

Yes.

However, it would be MUCH better if you stuck with the 22E heads for boost.

They have larger valves/valve openings than the 22T does.

You should swap cams & valve covers from the 22T heads over to the 22E heads & then you will have heads built for turbocharging.

Be warned. your compression ratio will not lower much, if at all.

The pistons & head gaskets to the 22T are what causes the massive compression drop in that particular engine.

Other than cams, valve covers, & valve size, the 22T heads are pretty much 22E heads.

My recommendation would be to put the 22E back together with the head parts from the 22T, run that for a while, & then save the 22T block for boost with the 25D heads (MUST be from 97-99 LGT/Outback as 96 heads have quench chambers that are too large for the 22T cylinders).

I'm going to run the complete 22t for now until I have a bit more spending cash. It will give me time to get a good set of 25d heads to put on my turbo block and to get them built and cleaned up real good. Then I will pull the motor back out this summer, swap heads and put it all back together again. I need to get a motor in the 97 stat since its my DD right now so thats why I'm just going to do the complete 22t swap. I have the t torn down to a short block right now, just need to get pulled out of the car. Then new head gaskets, valve cover gaskets, intake mainfold gaskets, and a timing job will get done this week before it gets dropped into my 97. I also just picked up a Emanage Blue. Does anyone have any info at all on getting this stupid thing installed and setup or should I just sell it and get something else?

Just swap your sensors over to the 22T and you should pretty much be set. You will experience a loss f power but nothing too serious. 22T = 25D in power.

I'll still have the vf-11 in so the power shouldn't be an issue. It won't be fast but it will get me to work and back. Just trying to get all the gaskets and timing stuff worked out now. 22t are tricky beasts to get parts for.

Archived