LegacyGT.com

Towing with an 05 LGT 5MT

Hey all,

So the time is almost here for me to two my Harley to our storage space ~30 miles away from my house, and I'd like to pull this off with my new (to me) LGT.

The car is a bone stock 05, 5mt, with a little over 100k on her.

The bike is a variation of a Sportster, so it's definitely not the heaviest, or well, the lightest thing on two wheels either.

Weight: ~450lbs

My trailer is a 6x10 aluminum enclosed design.

Weight: ~1100lbs

I'm curious if anyone regularly tows this kind of set-up. Also, I'd like to know if a class 2 hitch/receiver would be adequate, or if I need to bump up to a class 3/4 design.

The class 2 offers weight capacity in the 3000-3500lb range, which should be sufficient for my needs, but it comes with a fairly small ball, 1.5" I believe. The class 3/4 offers 4500lbs of capacity, which is way more than I'd ever need, but it offers either a 1.75", or 2" ball option.

What would you do legacygt.com?

I have a class-3 hitch on my Outback. I tow infrequently, but enough that the hitch was worthwhile.

I got it from etrailers.com, and I got their "tow package" too which included two goodnecks, and two different balls (1-7/8" and a 2")

You should have no problem towing 1100lb.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Well it will be closer to 2000lbs loaded.

I should mention that the trailer does not have it's own braking system.

I will check into etrailers.com. Thanks for the tip.

Also, I have an SPT cat-back on the car currently. Has anyone had any kind of clearance issue with any of the popular hitch choices?

• Mega Users

i tow pretty regularly. I've had zero problems towing 1500lbs, which is the max I've gone up to. Given I don't have a scale and i'm guestimating the weight. I have a small 4x8 that gets tossed around when you tow over 1000lbs, and you can feel it in the rear when you're driving.

that 6x10 aluminum will handle the weigh of your bike alot better than my 4x8. Slow acceleration and slow clutch release is key.

"Remember Danny - Two wrongs don't make a right but three rights make a left."

Thanks for the input guys.

Time for a(nother) n00b question.

If I decide to switch my suspension set-up down the road i.e., swifts/d-specs, or coilovers, would my towing ability be affected?

mbazzano88 touched on something I didn't even think of before, ground clearance. I assume as long as I kept any "drop" mild (~1"), I should be alright on anything other than monster speed bumps/pot holes/curbs, it's more the weight capacity I'm concerned about.

Any input?

I towed my 2000 Yamaha GP1200R on a Shoreland'r trailer this past summer with worn out shocks, trunk full of gear/stroller/cooler full of beers/etc, and 3 people in the car without a problem. The only thing I have done to the car is a hybrid clutch from Bully, and the car had no issues. Now that the suspension is all replaced, it at least feels safer to tow than what it was before ...

I wouldn't worry about it.

There is a guy in my area that tows a SeaDoo Speedster boat with his LGT sedan. Unknown if it's modded or not.

Just use a gooseneck raised hitch, and you should be OK to to when lowered.

I occasionally will drag the hitch, but it's got to be a REALLY steep dip.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Thanks for the input guys.

Time for a(nother) n00b question.

If I decide to switch my suspension set-up down the road i.e., swifts/d-specs, or coilovers, would my towing ability be affected?

mbazzano88 touched on something I didn't even think of before, ground clearance. I assume as long as I kept any "drop" mild (~1"), I should be alright on anything other than monster speed bumps/pot holes/curbs, it's more the weight capacity I'm concerned about.

Any input?

I regularly tow my race kart plus all of the assorted stuff that goes with it. Add in camping equipment and I probably tow about 1500 pounds.

I have bc/brs (about 1.5 inch lowered) plus sways and bits.

No problem towing but a goose neck hitch is required.

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

yea goose neck hitch thing. ..

also i cut and raised my hitch closer to the spare tire well and bumper up almost an inch, and it never drags on the ground anymore

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

Archived