LegacyGT.com

2.5GT Turbo Oil Supply Banjo Bolt Filter Removal

I am actually in the midst of trying to make a decision on whether to switch to synthetic or not. My previous car was an 1997 Audi A4 1.8T Q and was told to use synthetic because Audi/VW won't warranty turbos that didn't have synthetic oil in the engine.

Now, Subaru is not saying anything about synthetic for turbo, etc. The service manager at local dealer says older mileage cars can convert to synthetic, which is contrary to the leakage theory you mentioned.

I've also been told that once you switch you shouldn't keep going back and forth...I'm so confused. Can anyone provide some objective, more data driven information on this topic?

The controversy is a hold over from the past when synthetic was beginning to make its appearance in the market. The same thing used to be said about when lighter weight oils started to be offered. It was all about gaskets. Gaskets have evolved and now can easily handle lighter weight and/or synthetic oil.

One thing is for sure: syn. oils don't sludge up as quickly as dino and this banjo bolt is yet another argument for syn oil use or at least frequent dino oil changes.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After much discussion, it turns out that there are TWO filters inside of the banjo bolts that are at the entrance to the oil feed pipes

:rolleyes:

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57081&page=11

The filter in the oil feed line idea is similar to how some auto trannies have a filter and some don't. The filter is supposed to save the turbo or tranny in case contaminants are circulated in the oil. The problem is when the filter gets clogged it does more harm than good and a vicious cycle starts when lower oil pressure causes more contaminants to be added to the oil causing the filter to become more clogged, etc.

From what I understand Toyota auto trannies don't have filters and they tend to last much longer than most other trannies.

Also, Mitsu doesn't use filters in their turbo oil feed line and their stock turbos easily last 100k + miles.

........So I guess we need either keep an eye on these filters or replace them, or just ditch altogether...

Or do regular UOA. Increasing wear on the turbo bearing will show up on an UOA as silver. If you ditch the filter, and your turbo goes out, you KNOW Subaru will not cover your turbo under warranty.

Or do regular UOA. Increasing wear on the turbo bearing will show up on an UOA as silver. If you ditch the filter, and your turbo goes out, you KNOW Subaru will not cover your turbo under warranty.

I do regular UOA :) However it seems to me if the filter gets clogged, even partially, the turbo may not make it to the next UOA....

Or do regular UOA. Increasing wear on the turbo bearing will show up on an UOA as silver.

This is good news for me. I'll make sure to look at this in my UOAs from here on out. Thanks for the info!

The Dude - Two inches and counting...:lol:

I'm not happy to see this; prior posts said our cars didn't have these filters. In the meantime, members with blown turbos have been posting reports from SOA mechanics about the elusive clogged screens/filters.

I wonder if SOA is just concerned with just getting the turbo past the warranty period; after that, there's more profit in selling turbos?

That screen seems like it's destined to clog over time; more likely on a gradual basis than a sudden one.

strange they finally figured this out now. All of those turbo failure stories where they keep re-installing new turbos and they fail is probably caused by this. Good thing to know, makes me worried that im +500 miles due for my oil change.
06 TB EVO IX SE stock turbo monster subaru hater :lol:

rao, how many miles do you normally drive in 3 months? If the miles/OCI is low, we need to compare the filter to someone who has done extended OCI's for awhile. edmundu comes to mind...

Here's my oil history of my 05 GT\MT5

New. SOA filter & oil 4000 miles

1st. change till 30k, Mobil1 5w-30 every 6000 miles \ filter every 3000 miles

30k to pressent [68k] Amsoil 0w-30 series 2000 severe service synthetic oil & Amsoil EA0-020 oil filter every 15k.

This car has seen so far, 50 run down the drag strip & 100 miles round trip to work, and it's only 20 mos. old. Has over 68k on her.

My GT has always used alittle oil. SOA oil; just under a 1\4 qt. in 4k

Mobil1 oil; just under a 1\2 gt. in 6k

Amsoil oil; just under a 3\4 gt.in 15k

I'll try to check those banjo filters this weekend. I will just get rid of them all togther. If I trust Amsoil's oil & filter for 15k oil \ filter change. I can trust Amsoil to keep my turbo working just fine. Without those little filters. And remember, even dirty oil is better then no oil. I think the little filters have to go.

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

How does one change an oil filter twice as often as the oil... top it off?

He uses a vacuum pump to hold the oil in the bay, preventing leaks, while he has the filter removed. :eek:

Or maybe he just reuses the oil and tops it off as needed. :eek: