LegacyGT.com

Legacy GT spec.B vs. Volvo S60 R

Sk8erOrd

Let us assume for a moment that I could get them both for the same price ~33k. Which would you go with? What are the differences? More comfort in the Volvo, but a front bias AWD. Sportier LGT, not as luxurious, but rear biased.

They both claim 5.4 0-60, though the s60R tested slower with R&T, while the spec.B tested faster. The S60 R also tends to exhibit understeer in corners.

So... thoughts?

(and this isn't really a hypothetical, I have a connection to a new S60R for $32k)

2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium w/ PP (6MT)

2006 LGT Ltd 5MT OBP Cobb Short Throw Shifter | GS Catless Up Pipe Gone

I was in your shoes and test drove them both back to back. The volvo IS a nicer car. It sounds better, has more comfortable seat and has cool g-whiz factor. The reason why I went with teh Subaru? The Volvo is at about the the end of its design cycle, the maintenence costs are much higher on the Volvo and the rear seat room on the Volvo is almost comical in comparison. Combine that with the fact that the subaru resale value is proojected to match tat of the volvos after about 5 years and it just ends up looking like a lower cost of ownership for the Subaru. Make no mistake about it though. If you want a truely nice car...the Volvo wins hands down. If you want something that makes more financial sense, the Subaru is smarter. Plus, my Legacy feels WAY faster :)

the S60R has a horrible turning radius and the aftermarket support is pretty sparse - parts are very expensive if you are going to mod at all. Plus the 4C suspension is more of a gadget than a real performance aid. But it does have brembos and HID standard along with killer seats. I would drive both and decide based on the test drive.

the S60R has a horrible turning radius

This is an understatement. My best friend has an S60R and has trouble negotiating curves in some of the parking garages in Philly. And a U-turn? forget about it.

The S60R is definitely higher on the luxury scale, but despite their claims (and in accordance with the R&T test results) doesn't feel anywhere near as quick as the LGT/spec.B.

It really comes down to what you're looking for in a car. But to be honest, if luxury is what you're after I'd buy an Acura TL or new Infiniti G35 before buying the S60R, even if it means doing away with the AWD.

Do you live in northern IL?

If so and its the 05 S60R I am thinking about, first thing is that it's auto.Second thing is that its a 05 that's been sitting there for 2 model years. The brakes are more then likely going to be warped/high spotted due to rust and tires are going to be flat spotted. Also if you think about it the S60R stickers for over $40,000 and they are having a hard time trying to sell it for $33,000. I thought about buying one also, and for a rated 300hp it felt slow (and the one I drove was stick), to say turning radius sucks is a huge understatement, and what is their deal with interior colors..............blue, real light tan, or baby vommit brown. Any control module that goes out has to be programmed to the car by the dealer. Haldex awd is psuedo awd.

Now that I bashed it several good things. Over all I like the looks. It has a fold down rear seat, HID's and Brembos stock. Also if it is that 05, free maintanance. You are also getting a car that stickers for $40k+ for a used S60r price. That and you next to never see them on the road. Its a complete stealth car cause next to no one knows they exist.Their dynamic suspension works pretty good too!

I've read the winding road review, and R&T, and MotorTrend, and Edmunds. :p I read all I can, then I come to forums to get more info. And you're right about the 50/50 split, my bad, but still, less front biased than the volvo, which is 100% front unless slippage occurs. And this is on a new '07, not some left over previous year.

I didn't realize resale was that big of a difference. Wow. I'm pretty torn, I prefer the performance of the LGT, but I like the look and luxury of the Volvo better. Suby just needs to create a nicer spec.b. I am not willing to sacrifice AWD. It snows here, and I like the mountains. The Volvo is certainly "classier" looking, but damn, why can't I put the suby drivetrain in the volvo chassis/body?

2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium w/ PP (6MT)

2006 LGT Ltd 5MT OBP Cobb Short Throw Shifter | GS Catless Up Pipe Gone

Archived