LegacyGT.com

Legacy stereo any good?

Hello everyone. Im a proud owner of a 03 wrx wagon, and am looking for a Legacy wagon GT to replace it.

My question is, how good is the stock 6-disc stereo in it? Im aware of the Harmin Kardon stereo, but i dont think ill be able to find that 2009 model.

So, hows good, or bad is the standard stereo?

It all depends on your ear, personal preference and how loud you listen to music. I have a 2005 model limited, and the stock stereo sounds decent with the lil subwoofer underneath the driver seat. Though I am not using it anymore cause I like it loud :rolleyes:.

Beware though that the 2005 models (and maybe 2006?) cannot play mp3 discs and do NOT have an aux input for ipods and such. Plus, if you have dual climate control, it shares the same circuit board with the stereo deck; which means you may not be able to change it with aftermarket stuff. Some people did it but it is not that straightforward..

Anyways, read some stickies and threads here.

Oh wow, thanks. I wasnt aware that the duel climate was part of the stereo.

Well, im pretty picky about my sound. My last car i did a complete system overhaul. And i was really excited that the legacy gt came with a H/K stereo but then i found out that it was only in 09+.

Is the non h/k stereo, amplified externally? or is it powered from the subaru headunit?

• I Donated Too

all from the head unit...

I have a very tricked out stereo in the 05 and I tried to work with the stock head unit because at the time, with the climate controls part of the radio, absolutely no way to remove the head unit. I attempted to use a 360.2 to get control back and get things right but it never happened. I ended up like a lot of people jamming into the top pocket and leaving the stock head unit lame but there are now options to use the JDM Climate control module and delete the head unit but you'll be investing from the start on getting audio into this car and to do it right, you're spending coin. Good luck with it... the driving experience is worth it IMHO but the audio quality of the stock head unit leaves a lot to be desired. I was incredibly frustrated on that journey with my car but it's all behind me now...

My 09 Spec B has the H/K. IMO it sucks, I think the OEM unit with OEM sub and mids in my 05 sounds much better.

Since I installed the oem Sat kit in the 09 the sound is much better on Sirius but the FM still sucks. The CD's are ok, but I guess you can see overall I'm happier with the 05 OEM system.

I'm no audiophile but I have heard some great systems and I know what I like.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Wow, the H/K stereo didn't impress you? To be honest, i haven't ever listened to it in the legacy. I was just expecting it to be as good as H/K's reputation.

I def do not want to mess around with JDM decks, or JL clean sweeps. Its sounds like too much work and money. So im really not sure what to do now.

Another option is to get the 2011 LGT. But thats twice the money.

Well I will say that once at tuned the volume up to about 26 and played with the bass and treble it was better. But with my 05 I can leave the settings alone and change from cd to FM and the sound is the same.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

I think mine sounds fine its all stock in an 08. I will agree about what been said that the FM isn't that great but I think that an issue of an antenna in the window. CD's sound fine but like Max I'm no audiophile either.

My 09 Spec B has the H/K. IMO it sucks, I think the OEM unit with OEM sub and mids in my 05 sounds much better.

Since I installed the oem Sat kit in the 09 the sound is much better on Sirius but the FM still sucks. The CD's are ok, but I guess you can see overall I'm happier with the 05 OEM system.

I'm no audiophile but I have heard some great systems and I know what I like.

I have to agree with you the HK system blows. I spent some time listening to one, and I'm no longer disappointed the 2008s lack it.

Wow, the H/K stereo didn't impress you? To be honest, i haven't ever listened to it in the legacy. I was just expecting it to be as good as H/K's reputation.

I def do not want to mess around with JDM decks, or JL clean sweeps. Its sounds like too much work and money. So im really not sure what to do now.

Another option is to get the 2011 LGT. But thats twice the money.

OP: The best solution is a JDM dashkit and an aftermarket headunit. The OEM headunit stinks in all Legacys, even the 2010+. I went to a local Subaru dealer to check out a new LGT, and I was still disappointed with the sound.

Yo say HK has a good reputation? You must not be an audiophile. I've never, ever found an OEM HK system that actually sounds good.

Hello everyone. Im a proud owner of a 03 wrx wagon, and am looking for a Legacy wagon GT to replace it.

My question is, how good is the stock 6-disc stereo in it? Im aware of the Harmin Kardon stereo, but i dont think ill be able to find that 2009 model.

So, hows good, or bad is the standard stereo?

I presume that you're not in the U.S. if you're looking at 2009 LGT wagons. The LGT wagon was only offered for model years 2005-07 in the U.S., and manual transmission LGT wagons were only available for model year 2005.

I'm no audiophile, but I'm pleased with my factory set up. I do want to add in the OEM underseat sub though.

Get the OEM sub, you'll be very happy. One of my sons friends bought a 05GT 2 years ago. My son said the car was nice but the radio sounded dead. He took his buddy for a ride in my 05 with the OEM sub, he went out that week and bought one.

Definitely a big difference between my wife's 05 limited and my 07 limited.

Even without the sub in either car, the 07 is noticeably rounder in sound and has better bass and detail.

As others noted - pre-07 lacks the MP3 stereo and Aux input.

Happy hunting,

C

Spring for the money for an aftermarket headunit, it cant be beat. I did the JDM double din setup in my 05 lgt. Absolutely frustrating ill admit spending 36000 yen on a friggin dash kit and climate control, and doing custom wiring, but all said and done, im in love with the new setup. JL cleansweep, etc with a stock headunit can never come close to an aftermarket unit.

Its been quite the journey for me. First off if you listen at low to moderate volume levels the stock unit was engineered with (almost) adequate equalization . Once you turn up the volume thats when the difference with a good aftermarket install really comes out. I went from Solder in Aux hack on stock radio (mainly for Sat radio). Cleansweep and finally the JDM cubby mod for a single din for my high end Alpine head. Finally , with weeks of tweaking it sounds breathtaking.

• I Donated Too
I am so glad to read you say "With weeks of tweaking it sounds breathtaking" - because I went through the near exact same journey as you did and the time it took to get the legacy to sound 'right' was more than I have ever experienced in any other car... it was an incredible PITA to do but still the driving experience makes this the car for me and to finally get the audio just right, all worth it in the end.

Honestly its more like months. so many variables. I struggled (more like tried various scenario's) including sound deadening tweet placement, crossover settings, time alignment , different sub/speaker/amp combo's . Luckily I have many years experience and lots of gear to play with from past systems. Finally worth my efforts. Now I sit and enjoy. I know it sounds good when my brother goes wow and I drive around the block or listen to songs in the parking lot after I arrived at my destination.

I have the jdm mcintosh unit... Sub in the rear side panel... Mint 4 speakers ...

in each front door... Sounds awesome for a factory system. Dealers here sell the double din replacement ac units for 600ish nzd

At we buy 86 cents US atm so you can see that its pretty steep.

We can get usb drive adaptors for the mcintosh units so I think ill just do that

I have the jdm mcintosh unit... Sub in the rear side panel... Mint 4 speakers ...

in each front door... Sounds awesome for a factory system. Dealers here sell the double din replacement ac units for 600ish nzd

At we buy 86 cents US atm so you can see that its pretty steep.

We can get usb drive adaptors for the mcintosh units so I think ill just do that

I love my McIntosh unit too, more than anything, it just looks really nice in there.

I actually bought the double din faschia with the intention of getting an aftermarket headunit, but instead got the Aux In kit and stuck with that. The McIntosh just looks too nice to go about changing it for something else :)

Ok, heres a out there question.

How does it compare to the same year wrx stereo?

Ive got a 03 wrx, with the factory 6 disc stereo, 6 speakers. It sounds terrible. Its fine up to low levels of volume, but once you put it past medium, its done.

Is the legacy better, or same crap?

• I Donated Too

Ok, here's an out there answer.

Do you really care about your music?

If you're really into the sound... you'll want to do something about it.

If you're the type that's happy with a factory radio... it is what it is. Take your favorite CD with you to the stealership and try it... For me... there's no way I could ever live with a factory radio and it will always get 'fixed' at whatever cost I have to spend...

Archived