LegacyGT.com

Trailer Hitch

TambourineMan

I just got an '08 Outback. Two dealers told me not to have the dealer install the tow hitch as they would (have to) charge about $600.

I see U-Haul has one for $130 (although I do not think that includes labor). I want one that does not have the ball permanently sticking out beyond the bumper - only when I use it.

Any recommendations on where do get a good one in eastern Masssachusetts?

Do an on-line search for Hidden Hitch. I have a 1 1/4" recv'r mounted to my "05 Legacy GT Wagon and it has worked great. It is super low profile so that you hardly see it when not in use. Also, can be easily installed with basic tools. If you have no lift, simply back the car to the edge of a sidewalk / driveway and get under the car as it is elevated from the road below.

P.S. - SEARCH! There is even detailed install instructions on the site (assuming the frame mount points have not changed).

There is a ton of info on hitches, I mounted one on my LGT but I had to shim it due to my bike rack. The install is easy, I did mine without ramps or jack stands...it just took a little longer. One thing to consider is the dealer probably included in that price the wire harness. This isn't difficult to do either since the cars are prewired and have a connector for it but it will still cost you something to buy it, but it would still be way sheaper than 600.

U-Haul probably includes installation, but I would beware of them. I have heard some horror stories about the integrity of their hitches.

I installed a Hidden Hitch on my '98L Impreza - very simple bolt on and it held up great. I also put a Hidden Hitch on an '88 Ford Pickup for my dad, it gets heavy use and is holding strong.

Hi,

I installed the factory hitch on my new '08 Outback XT, and I think it is the best hitch, with the best fit after looking at a lot of them. The Hidden hitch only seems to be secured by four bolts on the frame, uses shims, and then one bolt through the recovery point. The factory hitch is secured with six bolts into the frame, and also two additional links, and fits so snug the tail pipes are lower than the hitch.

The hitch came with EVERYTHING you need, even gaskets and bolts, and the drawbar and wiring. It was very easy to install.

I documented my hitch install here:

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10241

The wiring install here::

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10251

I used a 20% off coupon to get the hitch at my local dealer for only $240 plus tax. Coupon is available here:

http://www.subaru.com/sub/dealersite/landing/2008/20PercOffAcc.html?from=dealerTout&dealerId=030356

Brooks.

The self-install seems like it could be simple since others have paved the way with regard to the confusing instructions and placement above or below the tow hook. Since I have an Outback wagon it may be even simpler than a sedan and may be pre-wired. But I would prefer it be done by a "professional" and was seeking the names/locations of shops in eastern Mass that could install a hitch similar to the Hidden Hitch.

I also agree that the installing the factory hitch yourself is the best idea. It comes with everything you would need; hitch, hardware, gaskets, plug & play wiring, draw bar, etc., the only thing not includeds is a hitch ball. Plus it'll be covered by your 3yr/36k warranty through Subaru. I've got one on the wifey's car...

I bought the factory hitch for my 2005 Outback and did the installation myself.

Great pics in the thread linked in skier757's post. I wish I'd thought to use a floor jack to lift the hitch when installing ... I recall propping one side up with a knee while fastening the other.

Literally, it would have only taken an hour to install (sans wire harness) had I not had the unfortunate accident of popping some rubber grommets (maybe it was from the exhaust hanger) into the open exhaust pipe. Whatever it was rolled down to the y-junction because the car was backed up on ramps. I spent an hour or two trying to fish it out when I finally gave up, started the motor, and had it pop out immediately.

Buy the factory hitch, install it yourself, super easy, maybe 30 minutes once you get the car up on stands(at least in my case as the lgt is lower than the outback). Contact King of parts, they shipped a hitch to me for a lot less then the local dealer charged.

Granted I'm only carrying bicycles; but, given my choice I'd like a 2" receiver hitch rather that an inch and a quarter. Mostly because I really prefer my 2" Thule T2.

Does anybody have any experience mounting a 2" receiver on the Legacy GT?

Thule does have a 1.25" version of the T2 (that rack is the only reason I have a hitch), and am sure you could order an individual replacement part to convert it.

Of course the smaller T2 is limited to the number of bikes it'll carry, so converting might not be desirable.

if you're really interested in a 2" hitch, Hidden Hitch and it's sister companies have one model... that's pretty much the only game in town right now.

pics here: http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9465

also, i imagine that the underside of a OB and Legacy are going to be the same.. so install instructions here:

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2812&highlight=hitch

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10241&highlight=hitch

Thule does, in deed, make the T2 in a 1.25" size; however, I already own a 2" that I use on Mrs. Gadget's Lexus.

Me = cheapskate.

I guess it all depends if it is cheaper to find a 2" hitch for a Legacy or buy the replacement tongue/bar piece of the T2. I would tend to expect you'd be hard pressed to find a 2" hitch that isn't custom made, since the car isn't designed to tow the types of loads the are capable of being inserted in a 2" receiver.

We also have an Odyssey minivan, which does support a 2" hitch, and I'm able to use a generic shim/adapters to carry the T2 on it.

skier757 (or anyone),

Does the ball of the factory trailer hitch permanently stick out, or is the tongue detachable? I looked at the installation pictures and one of them shows it basically flush with the bumper, but then the final one shows the ball extended beyond the bumper (as it would have to be in order to attached the tongue of the trailer).

If the ball is detachable, how does the tongue with the ball attach to the trailer hitch frame?

"I just got an '08 Outback. Two dealers told me not to have the dealer

install the tow hitch as they would (have to) charge about $600."

Obvious nonsense. Were these two "dealers" selling drugs? I just got a

quote from a dealer for the 2008 OEM Outback trailer hitch and it costs

$225 for the hitch and $110 for the install. I'll do the install so it is only

$225 for me. Installed would cost you $335, about 56% of your claim.

I'm looking to put a hitch on my 2007 Legacy Wagon, and my main priority is getting something that's low profile. From what I've seen of the factory hitch (in these forums), it seems like the best choice.

The problem is, when I call a subaru dealer (tried 3 of them) and ask for a hitch for my wagon, they tell me that there is no factory hitch for the 2007 legacy (sedan or wagon)... only the outback. Why doesn't the outback hitch fit the legacy? "Suspension," they say.

Anyone had similar experiences? Can anyone confirm that they installed a factory hitch (either L101SAG000, or some other part number) on a 2007 Legacy sedan or wagon. (non outback)

I'm going to keep bugging the dealers until I get some idea of what about the suspension is getting in the way of the hitch, and I'll post here if I find anything.

Thanks, Theo

Go to Thekingofparts.com or look them up on here, talk to jeremy. Technically its the hitch for the outback. I have it on my wagon which has the swift sport springs and have no dragging issues. It took about 30 minutes to do myself, comes with the needed exhaust gaskets.

Archived