LegacyGT.com

having a serious problem here! help please!

IACV (Idle Air Control Valve) could be stuck. If it is stuck closed, then when you aren't on the gas (thereby opening the throttle body) the engine will be starved for air and stall. Check to make sure it's operating properly. Check the connection, You can also unscrew the top of it entirely, and twist it open or closed by hand (won't damage anything - it's just a magnet) and see if the car stays running if you leave it open a bit. Be careful cause you can cause the idle to shoot up if you open it a lot.

EDIT: Along with that, it could be the Mass Airflow Sensor. No real way to diagnose that if it isn't throwing a code without swapping it out for a new one though, or looking at the OBD readout. I'd mess with the IACV to start with since it's so easy to do. Or, as eekay said, check for a disconnected hose (for example, the one that connects to the bottom of the airbox - the big plastic part that has "SUBARU" stamped on it.) That one unplugged will definitely cause the car to stall out as soon as it starts.

Throttle position sensor, mass-airflow sensor, bad vacuum lines to a fuel pressure regulator, bad gas... How long will it run before it needs gas? Does the car turn over and start without giving it gas or do you need to pump the pedal to get it started? How does it run once it's started?
My 9.3 cups EJ22 makes me feel like my **** is 2.8 decimeters!

start with th easy stuff first, vacuum leak. there's a hose off.

any work done recently.

look under the plastic intake that connects the air filter box to the throttle body. there is a large hose, as big around as your thumb, that will cause this. it is hidden and hard to see from above.

Yeah. My friend at work with the same car had the same exact problem three weeks ago. When I pointed it out he felt like a complete idiot, lol...

...but I told him not to feel bad, because when I replaced my intake, I did the same thing, lol. It's in such an obscure place you just don't see it.

Archived