LegacyGT.com

A Fresh New Start

I'm looking to start building a car for small track racing, autocross, and hillclimbs, but I don't know where to begin. As of right now I have a 1997 Legacy GT sedan with the 2.5L (5 speed), but within a month I'm going to have a 1996 Legacy Wagon with the 2.2L (automatic). My only problem is I don't know where to begin with building a car. I am a body man not a mechanic so I know the basics, but other than that I'm a little stuck. So if anyone can help me head in the right direction that would be great. I am switching the motors out in the cars so I can have the wagon, which I prefer.

I want this car to also be street legal so I can still drive it back and forth to work, but still be competitive. Thank you in advanced for any help that you can offer.

You wouldn't rather race the GT? How much of a budget do you have? Seeing the GT is already a 5spd that would be the better platform to start with. To swap over the drive train from the LGT to the Wagon will be a large task.

• 2 months later...

I want to start autocross and be able to do small highway runs but other than that not much. And the only reason I want the wagon more is that it isn't as beat up as the sedan. And the wagon is a sleeper.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

I'm in the process of swapping the auto out of my LX wagon to a manual from a doner GX wagon that was written off

I've never done anything like this before only services but I'm finding it surprisingly easy. had the gearbox, rear diff, drive shaft, fuel tank out in 2 days on my own working with jack stands and a trolly jack.

Google is your friend :)

Archived