LegacyGT.com

06-08 Wagon questions

Hi Guys,

Have owned many a Subaru over the years (81 DL Wagon, 87 4 door Justy, 89 GL-10), and most recently a 2001 Subaru Outback Wagon.

I want to get back into a Subaru wagon, and looking to buy a Legacy (will buy an Outback, if I can't find a Legacy).

1) What colors were the 06-08 wagons sold in? All I see for sale are dark blue, silver, black. I prefer more of a maroon, or any other brighter color.

2) What are the models that were offered? I know there is the turbo model, but I am looking for the one with the large moonroof, does all models come with that?

3) On Autotrader I only found 15 in the country for sale. I am willing to travel to buy (I am looking to purchase end of July), so looks like it will be a hard one to find.

4) Lastly, I have heard of the turbo issues, but any other issues on the motor/tranny? (my last Outback had lots of wheel bearing and head gasket issues)

I look forward to joining you guys here as an owner.

The motors / transmissions are generally stout and without issues.

A lot of members here crank up the boost and some of them have run into turbo failures for various reasons... but that is to be expected.

Hope you find a nice one and get what you want!

The motors / transmissions are generally stout and without issues.

A lot of members here crank up the boost and some of them have run into turbo failures for various reasons... but that is to be expected.

Hope you find a nice one and get what you want!

Thank you very much! I hate to be post this here, but are the non turbo motors improved over the ones with the head gasket issues?

This would be a stock car for the wife. I have a Atom and an Elise that I play with, so no need to turn up the boost, if we get a turbo:cool:

Thanks!! Do I have to watch out for axles and bearings? 05 owner emailed me saying he had to replace his axles at 70K miles. Dealer was $400. He bought aftermarket for $69, but with the vibration, car was never the same.

Wheel bearings were a problem, but they're covered under warranty until 100k, so that's an easy, free fix at the dealer. Axles can go, and should always be replaced with OEM or you'll get that vibration, but you can pick up used ones for cheap from people parting out their wrecked cars in the classifieds section, probably about $50 a pop, plus $50 to have it installed. Summary: Don't worry about axles or bearings, if they go, you fix for cheap.

I just picked up a 07 Outback 2.5XT with 46K for 19K at a dealer in Mass. What I did was find the sales brochure online for the Outback which showed me the color and all the options that were availble that year. I find it the easy way to see if the car I am purchasing is worth what they are asking. I did that with my wife's recent purchase of a 09 Legacy 3.0R GT limited that we got for 19K loaded with leather and CPO with an extended warranty.

I will say I searched Ebay and Trader for awhile until I found the XT, but I was looking for a Black on Black leather interior, so that might be the reason.

Good Luck.

Nelson

I just picked up a 07 Outback 2.5XT with 46K for 19K at a dealer in Mass. What I did was find the sales brochure online for the Outback which showed me the color and all the options that were availble that year. I find it the easy way to see if the car I am purchasing is worth what they are asking. I did that with my wife's recent purchase of a 09 Legacy 3.0R GT limited that we got for 19K loaded with leather and CPO with an extended warranty.

I will say I searched Ebay and Trader for awhile until I found the XT, but I was looking for a Black on Black leather interior, so that might be the reason.

Good Luck.

Nelson

Thanks Nelson! I don't need the XT per se, she can live without the turbo.

I will search for the sales brochures, that is a good idea!

I have 2 non-OEM axles in the front of my car. No vibration issues. I guess it depends on what you get. The one I just had replaced was replaced with a DTA (DriveTech America) brand axle. I don't know what they used on the other side as it was about a year ago. I haven't found the DTA brand ones for sale anywhere though and this was installed by a local independent Subaru mechanic.

Cheers!

Archived