LegacyGT.com

limited slip

ok probably a dumb question but i have a 05 LGT and im pretty sure the rear end is limited slip just asking all you to make sure i was trying to search threads didnt find anything really but i did find someone said some about if it was limited slip i wouldnt add any limited slip additive because the LS is sealed ? im getting ready to change all my fluid so i just dont want to screw something up thanks.
KMT Tuned

If your rear diff is stock, yes it is a LSD. It is a Torson LSD as opposed to the VLSD, (you will find these on Outbacks from 2000+)which uses a different setup the "V" in VLSD stands for Viscous, the special oil expands quickly when one wheel spins causing it to become a "POSI" until slippage is no longer present, the Torson LSD works differently, but needs the proper fluid.

Mac

You should use Subaru Extra-S in the rear diff.

Or Motul 300

Or Amsoil Severgear

Don't even think about putting anything else in there.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

If your rear diff is stock, yes it is a LSD. It is a Torson LSD as opposed to the VLSD, (you will find these on Outbacks from 2000+)which uses a different setup the "V" in VLSD stands for Viscous, the special oil expands quickly when one wheel spins causing it to become a "POSI" until slippage is no longer present, the Torson LSD works differently, but needs the proper fluid.

Mac

I thought only the 07+ spec B's got the Torsen LSD out back? And the rest of the GT's had Viscous?

Ok thanks now I know it has LS so do I need to add LS additive when I do a diff change or no ?

I thought I answered that question.

You should use Subaru Extra-S in the rear diff.

Or Motul 300

Or Amsoil Severgear

Don't even think about putting anything else in there.

In other words, No, just use what I posted above. NOTHING else.

My Spec has Amsoil in the tranny and the rear diff, my wagon has Amsoil 75w-90 in the tranny and Extra-S in the rear diff, because I had some left over.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Mac

no, he has a VLSD. on the spec.b's with a 6mt came with rear torsens.

Ok thanks I'm going to use subaru s diff oil but didn't know if I needed to add the subaru LS additive

Extra-S is all you'll ever need. :)

Sorry I put out bogus info, I was doing it from memory, no surprise I was incorrect with the memory these days, I thanked the folks who kindly corrected my mistake. See my screen name, tooooo many. I do "think" the BRZ has a torson Diff. Good news is, before I would ever service any diff, I would look up the correct fluid. Thanks folks!

R/Mac

Archived