LegacyGT.com

Vf52 serious boost creep

I just recently put a vf52 turbo on my lgt along with a full catless exhaust and during tuning my target boost was only suppose to be 15psi and it goes to 22+ psi! All of my ebcs lines are correct and my wastegate opens and shuts hooking a air hose to the line. I have been doing se research online and its seeming my problem is the wastegate port needs to be ported. I'm just wondering what you all think and if it could possibly be anything else. I'm tempted to just buy a GS EWG and be done with the issue.
KMT Tuned

AFAIK, there's no reason you should be getting boost creep with a VF52 and catless downpipe.

How to test for boost creep:

Hook up line directly from compressor to turbo. You should only be running wastegate boost at this point, purely mechanical/hardware working here. Not even your BCS is involved anymore.

Do a log.

If your boost keeps going up as RPMs climb up, then you have a boost creep problem.

edit: Or you could just 0 it out like SpecB suggested or 0 out the "Max WGDC Cumulative" value. But this would still depend on your BCS. Either way would work. The point is you want to have your WG opening as much as possible to see what is the *minimum* amount of boost you're capable of running.

Invar asks this because the early version of the Invidia downpipe has a divider that prevents the wastegate flapper from opening fully. You need to pull the downpipe and cut the divider back.
Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

Might not even be just the early versions. Seems to be hit or miss in those threads. I believe mine is a V2, but I still had the problem. Some people even with the V3. Someone suggested it might be slight variations in the tolerances of the DP and also the turbo itself, including the WG doors.

Definitey worth looking at. Grind it down even if you don't see a mark. Can't hurt to shorten it a tiny bit.

Might not even be just the early versions. Seems to be hit or miss in those threads. I believe mine is a V2, but I still had the problem. Some people even with the V3. Someone suggested it might be slight variations in the tolerances of the DP and also the turbo itself, including the WG doors.

Yeah. There are a lot of different exhaust housing designs out there so it would be hard for Invidia to test with all of them. Mine is a v2 but I still had to chop the divider to fix this.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

i have the newer version of the invidia DP the divider sits back a bit. i have no heatshield on at the moment, I have been told to possibly try putting the stock intake back on. so i guess thats one more thing i will try to do today
KMT Tuned

intake wouldn't do that. grind the divider anyway. look at the threads and the pictures. look at how low my divider was (page 2 on one of the threads) and it still hit it and caused me to hit fuel cut and throw a CEL.

Hrm, that's surprising. How is it different? Maybe Invidia changed something big time...

If you're able to move the WG with the actuator disconnected, then I guess that's not it. What the heck...

Disconnect the WG actuator, effectively leaving your WG door to swing freely and do a pull. This will tell you for sure if it's creep.

Guys, I've got the same trouble. VF52 with MadDad Metal V2 DP. I just pulled the DP to see if I had any interference; I don't see any, do you?

http://i.imgur.com/eAHqZgQ.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/TgMUOo5.jpg

I'm going to go check that the WG opens all the way using an air compressor... that's a good tip, Burba.

Tits mcgee

Yeah this is the most frustrating thing ever. I'm half tempted to say f*ck it dont worry about getting it ported and just go big and get a Ewg, yeah it's a good way to find out if your WG is opening an closing
KMT Tuned

Agreed. I just hooked up my air compressor to the IWG actuator... have a look. I believe this is the WG fully open, but I need verification. Is this full open?

ALSO... found this, which has to be contributing to my boost creep problem:

http://i.imgur.com/R4uT5TP.jpg

I already disconnected both ends, but the short line in the background going to the turbo with the restrictor pill in it is torn & was barely hooked up. I'm pretty much done with VSR Motorsports in Tampa. This isn't the first time I've had to go in & clean up after them, but it will be the last.

Tits mcgee

That's all the further mine opens so I'm assuming yea that's fully open unless someone else can chime in an say otherwise. And I'm assuming that is where your boost creep is coming from, how bad is your creep. I'm calling a guy tomorrow and seeing how much he will charge for porting the WG
KMT Tuned

Archived