LegacyGT.com

Header building time

Getting stuff together to build some UEL headers for my leggy. I cant justify $300 for a set of single port UEL headers and I can weld so I figured I may as well save $250 bucks and build my own set.

I know the stock manifold on my car has 1 5/8 tubing. I basically wanted to know if 2" is safe to use or if I should go with 1 3/4 tubing instead to keep the backpressure a little higher. I will still be running stock cats for now til I get going on the turbo build so nothing will be changing in the mid section of the pipe this time around.

Just want to see what the expects think on piping size before I start burning some metal.

I would mic the port itself, match the flange and tube to it, what fabrication procedures are using? Do you have access to a machine shop?

What do I need a machine shop for? I'm just bending and welding tube and welding on the flanges. Super easy to do in a garage in an afternoon. I'm just making the tube a little bigger for better flow and doing UEL to get some more rumble out of it.

If it was super easy why you asking questions on how to proceed and what material sizes to use? I'm quite an expert on welding and fabrication and I like to make high quality pieces with the proper tools and procedures.:)

Anyhow, f you are going to use the oem flanges stick to the same pipe diameter, the aftermarket way of producing those is with smooth piping and thicker flanges because of heat transfer. Borlas headers crack because they swage the flange end reducing material thickness on the welded areas. They create a bottleneck after the flange and use stainless tube which work hardens and is susceptible to deformation through the heat transfer.

Id hope you would change it for a turbo setup as you wont be able to use that mani.

Id stick with oem diameter, and also make sure when you do the un equal crossover on the drivers side that you get it away more steep than not, the longer it sits with hot exhaust gases the more likelihood you'll have of eating up exhaust valves.

Looking forward to the vid! (We gotta hear it somehow)

The swaged end is 0.065 the pipe 0.085, and they don't use filler rod when they tig them either they just fuse the fillet. I have fixed a couple of jasma type headers and beefed up the welds prior

to installation for those reasons.

Archived