LegacyGT.com

Any 2.5i's With Aftermarket Clutch/Flywheel?

Just wondering if anyone here has done it yet on a 2.5i. Not too many N/A's would probably look to do this, and there are fewer ones that are 5MT anyways. I ordered an Exedy Stage 1 Clutch and Lightweight Flywheel while my engine is disassembled sitting in my friends house. Both came in today, as you can see I included a picture. Getting excited about it. I also ordered about 600$ in engine parts today, so after everything comes in I will put it all together and give these pieces a review.

genimage.jpg.3ae2f41ceb4acbdfd50882bcc7a9f0c4.jpg

Just wondering if anyone here has done it yet on a 2.5i. Not too many N/A's would probably look to do this, and there are fewer ones that are 5MT anyways. I ordered an Exedy Stage 1 Clutch and Lightweight Flywheel while my engine is disassembled sitting in my friends house. Both came in today, as you can see I included a picture. Getting excited about it. I also ordered about 600$ in engine parts today, so after everything comes in I will put it all together and give these pieces a review.

I wonder, why is this clutch only compatible with the N/A up to 2005?

I wonder, why is this clutch only compatible with the N/A up to 2005?

I dont know why that is? Luckily I have a 2005 so I don't have to second guess it. I mean, I know very slight changes were made to the 2.5i internals in 06, but I don't know how that might affect the clutch and flywheels combination. Or maybe 2006 + come stock with a different clutch/flywheel combo? I don't know :iam:

Somebody should find out.

yay i emailed Exedy and got a response:

Paul, Thank you for your interest in Exedy products. Just to verify the 2005 and the 2006 have the same driveline so the clutch is the same. For the 2.5i you should use KSB04. This is for the non-turbo model. I will look into the website year listings and change them accordingly.

Sincerely, Evan Cline

Technical Coordinator-Aftermarket

www.exedyusa.com

Stage 1 clutch babeeeeee! :lol:

yay i emailed Exedy and got a response:

Paul, Thank you for your interest in Exedy products. Just to verify the 2005 and the 2006 have the same driveline so the clutch is the same. For the 2.5i you should use KSB04. This is for the non-turbo model. I will look into the website year listings and change them accordingly.

Sincerely, Evan Cline

Technical Coordinator-Aftermarket

www.exedyusa.com

Stage 1 clutch babeeeeee! :lol:

Good work Pawl. Only one thing, she said you should use the KSB04 kit. That is the OEM replacement kit from Exedy for our clutches, so the stage one kit number is 15801.

Good work Pawl. Only one thing, she said you should use the KSB04 kit. That is the OEM replacement kit from Exedy for our clutches, so the stage one kit number is 15801.

ah crap you are right, got too excited on that one. If they say its the same driveline, i could still go with a stage one kit right?

Would the OEM replacement kit be any better than stock?

ah crap you are right, got too excited on that one. If they say its the same driveline, i could still go with a stage one kit right?

Would the OEM replacement kit be any better than stock?

OEM kit is designed to be exactly like stock. You wouldnt tell a difference, it would just be a regular new clutch. Maybe materials are slightly higher quality, but I don't even know about that.

The stage 1 kit SHOULD work, I don't see why it wouldn't. But you should e-mail them again and ask them about fitment for the 06+ for the 15801 kit. If it works on an 05 and the driveline is the same, I don't see why this kit wouldnt work for an 06+ either.

Got an update for the 06+ 2.5i

Here's the rest of our email chain:

me:

So just for clarification, the Stage 1 clutch kit would be compatible for the 06 2.5i? You mentioned that we should use KSB04, but if the drivelines are the same, I would think that the stage 1 kit would work also correct? Would you recommend the OEM replacement kit or the stage 1 kit? Which one would be a better improvement over stock for our non turbo legacys?

exedy:

The stage 1 will also fit. Kit part number 15801. If you do not need a clutch to handle a increase in power there is no need for a performance clutch. A racing clutch is really only needed if the car is making too much power for the stock clutch to hold up. You will not gain any advantage with a racing clutch unless it is needed.

me:

Ok thanks, Rallitek and AVO are developing a turbo kit for the 2.5i, so a stage 1 clutch kit is going to be required for it. Just wanted to make sure, in case some of us decide to go with the turbo kit and require a stronger clutch.

exedy:

The stage one is only rated for 196 ft/lbs of torque to the wheels. Check to make sure the turbo kit doesn't make more torque than that. I am working on a stage 3 hyper single at the moment for the 2.5 NT engine to accommodate a turbo kit and or WRX or STI swap.

^^ Sweet, good research. We have pinpointed a stage 1 clutch kit and lightweight flywheel made specifically for N/A Legacys.

Again, 15801 is the product number for the exedy stage one clutch kit.

FF02 is the model number for the exedy lwfw flywheel.

• 4 weeks later...

Okay, I FINALLY got my car up and running a few days ago. Wanted to drive in it for a few hundred miles before giving my opinion on the clutch/flywheel setup.

Overall, I am extremely pleased with the setup. I don't have any chatter or weird vibrations, grinding, etc., and shifting feels just the way it should. I mean, I could tell my last clutch was going, but I didn't know how bad it was till I got this put in and I could immediately tell the difference. I can feel my car want to pull harder when I put it in gear. I like it.

The acceleration is definitely a little better with the lightweight flywheel. Shifting in high revs is easier than before. One thing I notice with it also is that I have to give it a tiny bit more gas when putting it into first. This is not a major difference though and I got used to it immediately.

Now I just have to figure out how to adjust the clutch pedal a little bit higher haha.

^^ Sweet, good research. We have pinpointed a stage 1 clutch kit and lightweight flywheel made specifically for N/A Legacys.

Again, 15801 is the product number for the exedy stage one clutch kit.

FF02 is the model number for the exedy lwfw flywheel.

Does anyone know if this would be the same model numbers for 08 N/A 2.5i Legacies?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived