LegacyGT.com

Climate Control backlighting

I noticed when driving my Legacy tonight that none of the climate control buttons have backlighting. I think this is the first time I've driven after dark since I bought the car but I'm guessing the buttons are supposed to have backlighting (since every other car I know of does). Does anyone know if this might just be burned out bulbs (and how many bulbs are there?) or since there is no backlighting at all- might it be another issue. I noticed the little LED that lights when you do push a button does illuminate, just no backlighting for the controls.

Hahaha, the number of times I have re-posted this how-to in the past two days is mind-boggling... I'm going to start charging for each view of that post.

The lights behind the climate controls were the first thing I fixed on mine. I can honestly say that I wouldn't have minded tossing you the cost of a beer for the well written walk through and part numbers.

Also found out today that there's a bulb atop the ashtray after my 5th year in a Legacy.

I never open the ashtray XD but there's also a bulb in the glove box. none on the floor though. which i found surprising. my old 91 S10 had those. and that truck had no cruise control, electric anything, airbags, the list goes on and on.

I can't go into the dealer and just buy what I went there for. I always wind up buying some other stupid shit. Buying online would save me from my Subaru gear impulse purchases.

"Hey, can I get some bulbs for my climate contr... is that a new Subaru mug? Yeah, I need that. I need that because of reasons."

Hehe ... those dash bulbs being out are what led me to this excellent community. I think I ended up replacing over 30 bulbs (over the whole car) a few months ago. Can't imagine what the stealership would have charged me for all those bulbs ...

Hehe ... those dash bulbs being out are what led me to this excellent community. I think I ended up replacing over 30 bulbs (over the whole car) a few months ago. Can't imagine what the stealership would have charged me for all those bulbs ...

Did the same thing a few months ago. I think my total came to around 20 bulbs (did not have to replace any in the instrument cluster.)

I think I do need to replace my instrument cluster bulbs too, as they seem dim even when turned up all the way.

Haven't done the climate control bulbs because my control unit seems to be acting funky (sometimes changes heating cooling mode/ sometimes doesn't so i located another control unit from eBay). Now the place says they misplaced it (yeah, right).

I think I do need to replace my instrument cluster bulbs too, as they seem dim even when turned up all the way.

Haven't done the climate control bulbs because my control unit seems to be acting funky (sometimes changes heating cooling mode/ sometimes doesn't so i located another control unit from eBay). Now the place says they misplaced it (yeah, right).

I think that's just our Subies, more so the green condoms on the bulbs. I thought the same thing, but after replacing the bulbs in the climate control they match perfectly with the other lights. Which is impossible to see at all in daylight.

Of course you can go with a different company and get LEDs, like from superbrightled. but I don't think that standard halogens will work.

Here's a list of what you'll need from SuperBrightLed if you go that route.

3 | NEOx High Power LED Instrument bulb | $ 2.29 |

Blue NEOx-BHP 3mm NEO3-xHP

------------------------------------------------------------

2 | 74-xHP3 Wedge Base LED bulb | $ 3.49 |

Blue 74-BHP3

4 | WLED-xHP5 Wedge Base Bulb | $ 5.95 |

Blue WLED-BHP5

And take a look here for epic dudes doing epic things with theses. http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/change-heater-control-lights-95-99-legacy-26408p10.html?highlight=heater+control+lights

Those hot spots look TERRIBLE, though, which is why I didn't go that route. That would annoy the HELL out of me.

I figured there'd be a couple hot spots, but the thing that held me back was the really my past experiences with LED cluster lights in my S10. just the tearing into the dash is a pain, then you have to check the polarity, pull it apart and put it in again. But that was the easy part really. the bad was driving to Utica, NY or back home at around 2-3am and the bulbs would shift and either go out completely or strobe light. which was beyond annoying. granted it was 4-5 months after doing the lights and I live on a very rough road. But I don't want to be out there fixing the lights in mid December.

any electrical contact cleaner will work, theres many different options

There's a slight difference between electrical contact cleaner and tuner cleaner. The tuner cleaner contains a lubricant as well.

RIP 96 Legacy 2.2 4EAT lost reverse @ 374,000 miles

Archived