LegacyGT.com

Jdm EJ20H-> 1997 legacy gt

Hi guys!

So im going to do a swap of the JDM EJ20H and I dont know anything about engine swaps.. Im trying to see what things I have to get in order to get my car up and running with this engine.. And my car is a USDM 1997 Legacy gt Automatic...

Thanks!

• I Donated

Not to be an asshole, but if you don't know what you're doing with engine swaps....you shouldn't start with a Subaru. Wiring will be a nightmare. Trust me, I know.

Why do you want to swap anyways?

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

The JDM EJ20HTT won't fit in the USDM Legacy due to the 2nd turbo and the steering collumm hitting. Either pick a different engine, convert it to single turbo, or buy a Honda to swap. Also with no offense here, but to start off with a Subaru to convert will be a nightmare.

Either way best of luck to you!

-Kirby

• I Donated

Read the turbo faq at the top of the forum. It tells you everything you need.

Btw - if you live somewhere that requires emissions, you will likely never pass emissions after the swap lol.

Twinturbo engines are easy to convert to single turbo btw...but wiring is still a nightmare

Sent from my Android powered HTC HD2

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

^Agreed. If I'm not mistaken it is OBD1 as well? I don't think Japan converted until 98-99? Not really sure. But yeah emissions is another issue. I'll have to register mine out of the county when I do my swap.

-Kirby

• I Donated

I don't know about the EJ20H being OBDII or not. I know the EJ20R isn't OBDII...and I think the H is the same.

being OBDII or not isn't going to matter if you do a swap anyways...because you're not going to be able to use your stock ECU, it has to either be switched or a stand alone be installed

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

Well I need a new engine in my 1997 legacy and i was just wondering if i should just go ahead and get the twin turbo engine.. And im not doing the swap myself.. Im just trying to figure out what i should get and how much its going to cost me.. Because the estimate that my mechanic gave me was $3200 for just parts not including labor.. So im trying to get the stuff myself and looking for a nice upgrade for the car..

And im trying to keep this car.. So i dont know if i should go with my mechanic and just get the same engine and replace it for $3200+ or i should look for a way to get the ej20h to fit.. What would you guys do to safe the car?

And btw I found this place called andrewtech over in gaithersburg md that might be able to figure out ecu and wiring..

if it were me, i'ld find a wrecked wrx. buy it outright and have a qualified technician who has done this type of thing several times to do it. i think that you'ld be happy with the end results. plus tons of potential.
I'm a native of South Carolina. I am a dying breed.

Thanks guys for the input! So I just read the sticky about the turbo and so if im not mistaken the ej255 would be an easier swap right since its usdm and single turbo? Because I saw people selling the the newer years of the ej255 on ebay with low milage.. So if I do this i wouldnt have to worry about emmision right (being OBDII)? And how about the ecu and wiring? Would it still be a nightmare?

• I Donated

The USDM turbo engines are a little easier to swap. You have to merge the two different wiring harnesses together.

There is a local shop here in atlanta (allprosubaru.com) that will do the full swap for you if you provide oarts for about 3grand. They swap everything though including the dash

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

So I just called my mechanic and he said that the 08 ej255 wont fit in my car.. Do you think hes lying to me and being lazy or is he telling the truth?

Is there some sort of mod I have to do? Or does it not fit my existing transmission?

• I Donated
So I just called my mechanic and he said that the 08 ej255 wont fit in my car.. Do you think hes lying to me and being lazy or is he telling the truth?

Is there some sort of mod I have to do? Or does it not fit my existing transmission?

Go to a performance shop if you want a turbo swap. A normal mechanic isnt going to know about it.

Yes, the EJ255 can fit in your car. Read the turbo faq to see how. The same things are needed for any single turbo subaru engine between 1990 and 2011

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

• I Donated
Thanks! Btw do you happen to know a good performance shop for subaru in dc or md?

No problem.

I can't help you out on a shop local to you - but I know quite a few good shops that are local to me (Atlanta). Specifically one that does nothing BUT performance Subarus and swaps.

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

Archived