LegacyGT.com

Problem after new clutch

TheTransporter

So I had some trans problems, and got it all fixed with a new clutch and everything. When I picked it up from the shop it started fine. I got up to go to work the next day and it wouldnt start. There is power, but the engine wont try and turn over. Instead there is this kind of electronic grinding sound (best way i can describe it). I thought he may not have tightened the starter all the way back up. But I was just under there and its tight. Any other thoughts of what it could be?

[ame=

]
[/ame]

Is the sounds more of a grinding or is it more of a clicking sound.

If it's clicking I would say it's your battery. Dash lights and dome lights can still come on even if your battery doesn't have enough power to energize the starter solenoid and would thus make an "electric clicking/grinding" sound.

Check all your electrical connections. If there are grounds missing or loose/unconnected plugs you could drain your battery.

Its not just the click of a battery that doesn't have enough power. Its a constant grindingish kind of noise as long as i push the key forward (obviously don't push it forward for too long).

Biggie - Yes the starter does have to come off to take the trans out, which is why I think the shop had something to do with it. I didn't like the way the shop did things, so this is just icing on the cake.

Ok, from what you said, you either have missing or broken teeth on starter or fly wheel. Just because it's new don't mean it's not defective. You need to visually check the teeth on the fly wheel & starter. If everything is ok there. Need to check the alignment of the start to the fly wheel. Call the shop that did the install & see if they can help you out with your problem.

Mike

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

It's a PITA. Take the measurement from starter flange that mates up to the bell housing to the fare edge of the start drive gear, full push out. Then measure from the bell housing flange where the starter mate to it, to the fare edge of the fly wheel. Min. the measurements should be the same. Ideally the fly wheel should be in the middle if the starter gear when engaged.

To check the height of the starter gear to the fly wheel. Needs to measure from the bolt hole of the starter to the top of teeth of the drive gear. Them measure from the bolt holes of the bell housing for the starter to the top of the fly wheel teeth. They should be the same within .06" this means you start gear & fly gear are full messing & engaging each other. A easier why mite be, is to some ring & pinion alignment grease. Put all over the starter gear. Reinstall start. Start car, pull start and see where the fly wheel is engaging the starter. The fly wheel teeth will leave tracks in the ring & pinion alignment grease on the start gear where they are engaging.

Mike

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

Archived