LegacyGT.com

2005 P-201UH Disc Changer Jam? (With Pictures)

AndrewZ

The other day it was very hot in my car and I accidentally hit 3 on the disc changer as the car hit a bump in the road. While it was changing I pressed 5 to go back to the CD I was on. The CD changer kept making the same sound, like it was working but not getting anywhere, and eventually it wouldn't let me select CD and would only play the radio. I tried disconnecting the battery, it still makes no response when I press CD.

I took off the covers on the player and have posted the pictures of the changer from the top. It looks like there is a jam going on. Before I break something, has anyone advice on how to fix this? I'd really, really appreciate any help.

Kindly,

Andrew

jam1.jpg.9975d5f9adcafa86bbd400fa1638cbb4.jpg

jam2.jpg.4a569d0f5add5e296f6796b5a0e889dc.jpg

Peep the pictures

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=87150&stc=1&d=1278371163

Should that CD be in that location? It has the same label as the top CD for reference

jam3.jpg.3934fb300fa6ab4710ba992d9bf75215.jpg

jam4.jpg.6ed331d78d262fea1d10671b0ed4230d.jpg

Just doing a quick search, some people have used a small screwdriver to move the misaligned discs back in line with the others and said that works. I'm not sure if the one that you have pointed out is over there because that's where the CD lens is or if it really is out of place.

Also, you may want to consider not using those vinyl CD-R's anymore. I've seen people get them jammed in CD players because that vinyl layer makes them a little bit thicker than a normal CD.

Hey Dave,

Thanks for responding. I've done a few searches but haven't found any advice on what it's supposed to look like from the start. I think you're right in regards to the vinyl cds, though

Andrew, this just happened to me a few weeks ago. Use a screwdriver to line them back up. Good luck! (I broke one of the cds in the changer, but that's a small price to pay compared to the price of the changer).
lol

That's not good. When you plug in the main white connector the cd player should make a bunch of noises as it shuffles discs.

Mine stopped functioning when the jamb occured. But once I realigned the cds and plugged in the connector, it did make the noise. Are you sure they are all lined up on the main spindle?

Also, something may have happened to the cd changing mechanism when you hit the bump. If that's the case, I don't know what to tell you. :(

lol

Are you sure that bottom CD shouldn't be where it is? When I try to move it, it springs back into place. It looks like there's a cord somewhere that's moving when I move it. It was in the process of changing CDs when it stopped working :(

Well here's a cool picture

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=87231&stc=1&d=1278558231

Does that look right? I took the changer out of the stereo and was able to pull back the arm that was binding it and get the CDs in place. I'm going to try it. I pulled out the other connector in the stereo to incase that might help get the stereo to recognize the CD function (yeah, right :lol: ). Crossing my fingers

I have another question:

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=87235&stc=1&d=1278559184

Where does the CD come out? Is that lined up right, the front?

jam5.jpg.0784da610cbe5deddaf454f47f7b91c1.jpg

jam6.jpg.6ab9353e2464a48f89113b091aeed0e3.jpg

Please forum gods don't kill me for triple posting

PROGRESS!

I installed the player. The CD button still does nothing, but when I press and hold the eject button it flashes "CD EJECT ALL" or something to that tune. It wouldn't do that before. I'll investigate further tomorrow.

Dr. Sharp, thanks for the encouragement; I'm not sure if it's going to work but I got this far riding on your feedback :)

The first picture looks right. The cds are stored at a slight angle. Are all of the cds in little metal "sleeves" at the side of the case? If the one that seems to spring around isn't in a sleeve, then I'd guess it is stuck in limbo between one of these sleeves and it being ejected.

And yes, the second picture is where the cds are ejected. If you could find a way to get the bottom cd to make its way out of this slot, I suspect you'll be in business.

lol

I did think they were all in the sleeves. I didn't have much time today to play with it, but it still gives me that message when I hold the eject button. Its like it doesn't know it has any CDs in it, but pressing load says nothing. I haven't tried yet slipping a CD into the opening; tomorrow I'll try disconnecting the battery for a while again and perhaps there's a sensor that will wake it up if I try slipping in a CD?

If you look at the last picture I posted it doesn't seem to me like the slot for the CD is exposed, as if it slid up? I don't know what it should look like

• 2 weeks later...

Archived