LegacyGT.com

Thinking of Franmotoring the wagon

I like the rumble I get from my ej22, but when I git the gas, that's all it does. I'm kicking the idea of a frankenmotor around since I'll take the motor out anyway to do the clutch. I do have a few questions though.

A) how do you guys with them like them?

B) what has to change wiring wise?

C) anybody know where I can get an ej25 shortblock besides the forums? I can't find many here, all the local scrap yards want a grand, and all the local parts cars blew head gaskets and overheated.

It will work. You will need a 52mm crank and rods and custom pistons to obtain the high compression. You might be able to get a set of stock pistons to work from an NA subaru but you would have to do the calcs to determine the quench height.

I am keeping my 2.slow as is and getting a muscle car/deticated toy. If you drop 2 grand into your $2000 lego, you can sell it for $2500 when you are done. If you spend 2 grand on a toy, if you choose right the toy still is worth 2 grand and can be sold if you need cash, leaving you with your Lego... Even if you get a loan for the car you want, it will still usually make more sense than modding the car you have as the car you got a loan for (again, chosen wisely) still has value and can be sold and the loan repaid.

The numbers are just an example but motor mods on a car this old are dodgy at best in the wisdom dept unless you have lots of cash to burn (no debt too, IMO) and the know how/desire/tools to do it yourself.

This is just the conclusion that I've come to over the years of dreaming/hoping to mod out cars with no money.

• I Donated
A) how do you guys with them like them?

The right setup can be amazing, but it all depends on what block, heads, pistons, etc you're using.

B) what has to change wiring wise?

It depends on what setup you ultimately wind up with. Most setups you can avoid any major wiring changes.

C) anybody know where I can get an ej25 shortblock besides the forums? I can't find many here, all the local scrap yards want a grand, and all the local parts cars blew head gaskets and overheated.

Here in Phoenix, I can get a running EJ22E or EJ25D at the u-pull-it junk yards for less than $200 with a 30 day warranty. Check places like that. Usually anywhere were they pull the parts for you will cost you an arm and a leg.

Here is general pricing that I pay local at u-pull-it yards

Manual Transmission - $95

Automatic Transmission - $140

Engine - $180

Loaded Strut - $25

Axle - $15

Steering Knuckle - $25

Driveshaft - $45

Rear Diff - $60

Interior Trim Pieces - $5 to $10 each

Front / Rear Bumpers (beam and all) - $35 each

If you find the right places to go to, you can get some pretty good deals. Here in Phoenix, there is a bunch of them because there are tons of Mexicans here.....so they do A LOT of business. In other places (middle class, upper middle class, etc), people usually just buy new parts so the u-pull-it yards don't do well there. I have to drive 45 minutes to get to the part of town where all these yards are at....but its worth it for the dirt cheap parts I get. My Outbacks 5MT came from a u-pull-it. After tax and everything, I paid something like $115 out the door (but I had a set of fog lights with it too).....I've put that transmission through pure hell off road (rock climbing, through water/mud, etc) and its still going strong 15k miles after being put it....and being consistently beat to hell.

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

I have to drive 45 minutes to get to the part of town where all these yards are at....but its worth it for the dirt cheap parts I get. .

going down to broadway on the west side? dont stay out there too late, hehe. youre way too white for that. :lol:

ive been too lazy to go out and find subaru parts so far, which yards down there have a bunch?

I am keeping my 2.slow as is and getting a muscle car/deticated toy. If you drop 2 grand into your $2000 lego, you can sell it for $2500 when you are done. If you spend 2 grand on a toy, if you choose right the toy still is worth 2 grand and can be sold if you need cash, leaving you with your Lego... Even if you get a loan for the car you want, it will still usually make more sense than modding the car you have as the car you got a loan for (again, chosen wisely) still has value and can be sold and the loan repaid.

The numbers are just an example but motor mods on a car this old are dodgy at best in the wisdom dept unless you have lots of cash to burn (no debt too, IMO) and the know how/desire/tools to do it yourself.

This is just the conclusion that I've come to over the years of dreaming/hoping to mod out cars with no money.

That's sound thinking. The only reason I'm thinking of doing this is because the motor is entirely original. Only things to be changed in 215k miles are timing parts, water pump, and oil. Almost every seal is leaking and my clutch is going to go soon to top it off. This is my DD and only car, so I figured I could just replace the motor when I replaced the clutch so I have very little downtime. I could also rebuild my own motor on my own time then.

So I figured that if I'm swapping motors, I might give this a try if I can get it in the right price range. Ballin' on a budget

• I Donated
going down to broadway on the west side? dont stay out there too late, hehe. youre way too white for that. :lol:

ive been too lazy to go out and find subaru parts so far, which yards down there have a bunch?

Buckeye / 25th area over by Ecology.

I'm armed when I go, so I have my bases covered for being a white boy lol

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

been a while since ive been over that way, used to be a great place for old chevy stuff on buckeye and 25th ave. only place i cold find a matching rear end with axles still in it for my impala. down on broadway (farther south) all the way to 35th ave or so is all salvage, not sure if youve gone that far south, but that was the original salvage row.

That's sound thinking. The only reason I'm thinking of doing this is because the motor is entirely original. Only things to be changed in 215k miles are timing parts, water pump, and oil. Almost every seal is leaking and my clutch is going to go soon to top it off. This is my DD and only car, so I figured I could just replace the motor when I replaced the clutch so I have very little downtime. I could also rebuild my own motor on my own time then.

So I figured that if I'm swapping motors, I might give this a try if I can get it in the right price range. Ballin' on a budget

Good call, actually. Good luck with the build! I am getting to like my lego more and more, and power is where it lacks. Just maybe 25 or so ponies so I don't have to downshift out of 5th going up big hills.

Archived