LegacyGT.com

Airbag, Steering wheel controls and Horn stopped working!

alaskajoel

Alright, so i did the radio controlled steering wheel mod and it worked great..for about a day. I was driving, took a tight right turn, heard a small snap, and all of a sudden the radio controls, and horn stopped working and the airbag indicator turned on.

There is that little circular deal behind the steering wheel that has all the plug-in on it, and i'm thinking it got busted somehow inside...has anyone else had this problem, and if so, how did you fix it? If i need to replace that circular deal behind the wheel, does anyone have a part number? :spin::spin:

Thanks in advance you guys.

^ I just saw this thread.

el5y's guess is my guess, too.

I'm being optimistic - maybe a clip on the roll-connector just popped loose.....

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Yeah I'm hopeful but it sounds bad... I read through the whole install thread before doing my swap and I was so scared of doing this that once I took the wheel off I taped the roll connected in place until I was ready to replace the wheel.

Eric

^ Yeah, the roll-connector is a scary piece. :)

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15958&highlight=steering

That's from July of 2005, when I first pulled the steering wheel off our LGTs (post #36). ;) It was later incorporated into the groundwork for the "Steering Wheel Controls" reference post that trabbic cited, in the beginning of the wheel retrofit thread (which, beginning with posts #34 and 42 there, dating back to about November of 2005, nearly four months later, I started contributing, too).

Before the Legacy, I'd never pulled a wheel that used the roll connector - you can see my own surprise in the original posts. :redface::lol:

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

• 1 year later...

Hey guys,

Bringing back an old post here. I did the GT momo wheel swap on my 06 2.5i. I think I might have broke the roll connector when I took off the steering wheel. The tape/ribbon within the connector came out and got all tangled up. I tried to wind it back up perfectly but must of messed something up. I can now hear crinkling when turning the wheel and the airbag light is on, horn doesn't work, and cruise control doesn't work.

Does this sound exactly like a roll connector problem?? Is it completely broken? If I took it apart and tried to re-wind and line it up correctly would it work fine again or do I need to replace the roll connector?

How safe/unsafe is it to drive around with the car while the roll connector might be messed up? Would this cause a major problem if its something wrong enough that requires replacing the roll connector?

Thanks for any help its much appreciated,

Adam

Hey guys,

Bringing back an old post here. I did the GT momo wheel swap on my 06 2.5i. I think I might have broke the roll connector when I took off the steering wheel. The tape/ribbon within the connector came out and got all tangled up. I tried to wind it back up perfectly but must of messed something up. I can now hear crinkling when turning the wheel and the airbag light is on, horn doesn't work, and cruise control doesn't work.

Does this sound exactly like a roll connector problem?? Is it completely broken? If I took it apart and tried to re-wind and line it up correctly would it work fine again or do I need to replace the roll connector?

How safe/unsafe is it to drive around with the car while the roll connector might be messed up? Would this cause a major problem if its something wrong enough that requires replacing the roll connector?

Thanks for any help its much appreciated,

Adam

If your airbag light is on, the connector is busted. I've done this once, and a buddy of mine with an 08 wrx did it once as well. :lol: If it is busted, the only thing you can do is replace it. I took my old one apart to see if I could do anything, but no dice.

In terms of safety, it's not like your steering is going to fail on you...You won't have a problem getting from point A to B, but it's never a good idea to drive without an operational airbag or horn. Fredbeans is by far the best place to get it from.

• 3 years later...

Archived