LegacyGT.com

advance auto axles ncv 66503

So..... I had gone into my friendly local advance and ordered some front cv axels for my 05 obxt(big mistake) I go home and replace axles.(easy peasy) I drive for a total of 5 miles and s!@#'s f!@#$d. Brakes are spongy, abs light is on, both wheel bearings are more loose than a hooker at a navy bar.

I go back to advance and tell them whats going on. They say theyll call the manufacturer and call me. I get a call and they say if I can return the axles they'll refund me but they cant give me free parts for my wheelbearings(I dont want your crappy parts anyway)......That still dosent cover my abs wheelbearing problem.

Axles are stuck in the trans. I was being light and trying not to damage them but tonight im beating the hell out of them.

Now I know its not advance's fault. They just ordered what it said to order. But now I have a car with no brakes, abs, wheel bearings, that rides like a vibrating boat.

What should my next step be? Cause im not paying for this to be fixed.

\/\/Stay away\/\/

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/carquest-cv-shafts-cv-axle-shaft-assembly-ncv66503/20871023-P#fragment-3

Mods move to right place if im in the wrong place.

I'm not sure how the brakes would be affected by the new CV axle. Did you remove them in the process of replacing the axle?

As far as the wheel bearings, again, did you possible damage them while trying to remove or replace the axles? Did you torque the axle nut to the right spec?

These cars are known for bad hub/bearings, so that may have an issue before you replaced both axles.

Tell us why you replaced both axles ?

Read the sticky up top by JmP in there you'll find the hubs and axles we recommend.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/idea-web-links-saved-various-parts-219238.html

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Hey Max Capacity,

I did not have bearing issues.Unless they both coincidentally decided to go bad in the 5 miles after new shafts. lol......Anyway I made sure of that when I first lifted the car. I replaced both axles because of torn inner cv boots and knocking under accelaration.

I searched axle problems and saw that you had good luck with remans. I'll check it out the link now.

Thanks Max Capacity.

Sounds like your axle nuts came loose. Which allowed the wheels bearings to spread and destroy them selves. And because your bearings are shot. It allows the rotor to wiggle a bit, which will effectively spread and depress the pistons in your caliper. Making it seem your brakes are soft because you have to displace that spread with extra pedal travel/pumping.

The wiggleing effect can also cause abs ring to senor misalignment and cause the car to think that wheel locked up, and start pulsing.

All of these scenarios have happen to me and/or my dads vehicles in the same combination or as separate events.

I personally have never had a bad axle and I go to the local part store and buy whatever is cheapest. Currently my car has 4 brands of axles on it..

This sounds like it was all user error

idk how they were loose if they were torqued properly... with a torque wrench. I took a stock axle to advanced and they brought in another and the inner shaft on the new one is longer by less than a quarter of an inch.

They said they'ed give me a big discount on parts. Ill probably listen to max cap and try to break even from the return..... If I can get the remans out since they are stuck in the trans.

Did you get this part number SpecB?

Not to threadcrap or anything, but I don't know why people try to save some money by using parts other than OE. I get it if there is 100% no issue but there are posts and posts of people finding out the hard way that sometimes OE is the only way to go.

Its good theflystyle. Its a lesson learned. Always research before you buy. Thats what Im taking from this.

Ive done other cv chaft with remans and they were perfectly fine. I figured this wouldnt be any different. Plus a life time warranty is good too.

Archived