LegacyGT.com

Learning View Help...

monkonmonk

All,

Recently I noticed that my car was not reaching full boost from my Infamous Stg2 Tune. This had happened previously but was accompanied by a check engine light. I was informed by this forum and Shamar it was winter/bad gas. I got a new tank of gas clear it and all was well with the world.

This time, however, I have no check engine light and no other strange things, noises or the like to accompany my lowered boost levels.

I took a learning view when I got home just now and I am hoping someone can shed some light for me.

Thanks.

Monk

LearningView_3-17-2013 4 38 17 PM.csv

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You probably could baby it, but don't blame me if something blows up.

Do a log of your drive while you're at it.

How did you check for leaks? Visually? Because that won't tell you anything.

Visually, tissue paper and the back of my hand is all I have done right now. I can't hear anything strange, the motor is super quiet other than the exhaust at idle.

I checked everything along the intake route pre and post turbo.

I will look up some sort of procedure for checking intake leaks.

If I reset and just let the car idle...if there is an intake leak will the IAM still change?

Thanks.

Oh boy. This is NOT how you look after a modified turbo car. CEL comes on, you find out WHY.

From your LV I'd look for leaks, as iNVAR suggested. Just because you find nothing at idle doesn't mean they aren't there. You need to have a proper leak test done at high pressure. There are many tutorials on this process and also for making the test equipment. Any performance shop that works on Subarus should be able to help with this.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

Oh boy. This is NOT how you look after a modified turbo car. CEL comes on, you find out WHY.

From your LV I'd look for leaks, as iNVAR suggested. Just because you find nothing at idle doesn't mean they aren't there. You need to have a proper leak test done at high pressure. There are many tutorials on this process and also for making the test equipment. Any performance shop that works on Subarus should be able to help with this.

I did find out about the CEL, and I was informed by this community and my tuner about the bad gas. I had not had a problem since.

Yesterday evening I noticed the low boost and stopped driving the car, took a LV and immediately posted due to it not being incorrect.

No, I don't understand a lot of the tuning aspects, but I believe i take pretty good car of my modified turbo car.

I will build a leak tester today, how much pressure is a high pressure test?

Thanks,

Monk

Test to say, 2psi above peak target boost.
Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

rtbrjason, There is about 1/2 tank as of now. I usually have noticed the blip in the past at or around empty (gas light on).

spec.B Dream, What would go wrong, or wear, mechanically that would require an update in a tune?

All set to do my leak test tonight, should be getting something around 7pm or so.

Leaks are the most common. Also, a dirty MAF could do it.

How long was your tune "good"? Was is "good" long enough for you to know it was really good, or has it always had minor issues that have piled up over time?

If you took LearningViews daily or weekly for months and never saw a problem, then you can know it was good and something physically changed with your car. If you didn't do that, or didn't log frequently, you may have never actually had a good tune. Sometimes issues take a while to build up before you know there was a problem.

FWIW, my Infamous stage 2 tune was never "good". It was good enough to show a clean log immediately after a flash, but over time it would start knocking. I sent wot pulls to Shamer showing the knock, and he claimed it was clutch chatter. I was a newb at the time and didn't push back on this response. Over time, that knock impacted IAM and boost, and by the time I had a local tuner look it over, it was not very happy.

Dirty MAF usually reads low, meaning you spray more fuel, leading to negative fuel trims. ;)

Doh. Blonde moment, carry on.

You can check MAFv is the range of 1.00 to 1.70v at idle, or just clean the sensor.

Spec, I would define good as an average of about 6-8 months before something happens. I will defeinitely make note of this event and start to log more. I did not register it due to the tune because of it happening almost exactly with gas changes here in the great state of Ohio.

fahr, I did not find anything with the leaks, but not sure I was doing it right, so I am going to confirm tonight. I will also check MAFv tonight as well and report back.

Thanks again guys for all the comments and help.

Monk

I don't think bad gas is as common as this forum will lead you to believe. If there is nothing wrong mechanically, your tune may need updated.

I don't think it's all that common but it has happened to me. If you suddenly see timing being pulled in a large range of cells where there was none before then that's at least a possible culprit.

Alright, I loaded the system to 5psi and it took roughly 6 seconds to lose 2 psi. After that I loaded it to 10 psi and it took roughly 9 seconds to lose 4 psi.

Do I need to go higher? At what pressure do I need to be concerned about the oil fill cap?

Thanks for the help.

You need to go at least 2psi past your peak boost target.

I will check for max boost tonight.

In trying to get RomRaider hooked up to my computer I accidentally reset the ECU and the LV this morning was as if I had just reset it.

i had to drive it to work today so I took it easy and stayed out of boost.

I did two boost checks on the way to determine the reset, one in Intelligent mode and the other in Sport #.

LV taken after completing that, I just wasn't sure if this would show you guys anything else.

thanks again.

734226922_LearningView_SS_3-20-2013121907PM.jpg.23fbf358dbfb8ee1123e82b0eaccf1a5.jpg

Not good. That's quite a big FLKC value, in the most dangerous area. IAM never went to 1.00?

Please, stop driving the car until you figure out the root cause.

First, I came home after driving my car to work today (sorry fahr side). when I went to take things apart I noticed that I had not tightened the intake to the airbox. Maybe that has something to do with the 2nd bad LV. I don't know but am trying to share everything here.

As for the boost leak check.

My max boost per Infamous was 18psi. I got right to about 18psi and this happened...

See attached of a hard line to rubber hose connection that blew apart and shot oil around all over the place.

Additionally, here is a photo of my setup. I have been closing the ball valve when pressure is reached and then counting for bleed off.

Oil cap and dipstick are in place.

Thoughts now?

Thanks again.

IMG_0100.JPG.4aa691f3748e1579fe5ded134396f5df.JPG

IMG_0101.thumb.JPG.513473c5a4e0b55bec3a25a6fc012271.JPG

Archived