LegacyGT.com

Did I just get stiffed? $600 labor for springs

djkxgo0k

I dropped my car off to have my tein s-techs installed on my car, as well as get the rotors turned and new brake pads installed. I was in a rush, so I wasn't able to ask before hand how much it would all cost me.

I brought in my own pads and springs, and I was expecting to pay around $200 for the labor.

When I go to pick up my car, he gives me a bill for $630. Does this sound right to anyone?? The mechanic is my dad's friend, and so I was not expecting this at all.

Did i just get stiffed?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Did mine in 5 hours...on jack stands with POS spring compressors (done by hand with a wrench...had some sore knees the next day) and me going to 3 auto stores to find the offset wrenches (1 hour of the 5)...I would say you got ripped

yup. private shop. when i asked him why it came out to so much, his response was "it took a long time"

...i talked to my dad and he said he's going to go have a word with him on monday.

what would you guys say is the average cost of a spring swap? i talked to my friend who got his wrx springs done for $60... and thats for all four. i was super pissed when i heard that.

It's not a rip-off, it's a rape.

Takes 2-2:30 hours when you take your sweet time. Skilled mechanic can do it in 1-1:30 h.

mr cakes just changed out the springs on my lancer, which are harder to do than the leggy...

it took him a whole 45 minutes, with a lunch break included, while messing around...

Current:MY05 SWP wagon - 253/290 :rolleyes: UP, AEM CAI, Invidia Q300, tuned@yimisport

OLD: MY06 GRP - 274/314 :cool:

When I go to pick up my car, he gives me a bill for $630. Does this sound right to anyone??

The short answer is NO.

How long do you estimate they actually worked on your car? Did they call you when they said it was done? IF so they couldve had that thing done for a few hours and waited until later to call just to make it seem like they worked on it longer.

the total amount of labor hours charged was 9.0 at $70/hr.

i knew that was just absurd. i'm going back there with quotes from other places and demanding my money back. i don't care if he's my dad's friend, this is bullshit.

sigh. when i was picking up my car, i was debating whether i should argue on the spot or just bend over and take it. i just paid and left. after i told my dad about it, he was super pissed. going back tomorrow to see if we can work something out.

He'll probably tell you that he spent 5 hours turning the rotors...

I paid 200 to get springs installed in numerous different cars.

That's Canadian dollars too... it's like $93.50 US.

He'll probably tell you that he spent 5 hours turning the rotors...

I paid 200 to get springs installed in numerous different cars.

That's Canadian dollars too... it's like $93.50 US.

That's what I paid to have my springs done.

I agree with Gire's conversion rate as well ..... unfortunately. :redface:

shit dude i did my springs at night in a garage with flashlights, renting a spring compressor from autozone with two friends. Free. Get some of your money back that's ridiculous.
06 TB EVO IX SE stock turbo monster subaru hater :lol:

Thats just insane!!! I've done a full set of coilovers, calipers, and rotors in four hours. A shop should be able to do coilovers and pads in two. I wouldn't pay more than two hundred.

Archived