LegacyGT.com

Oil leak on Top of Engine

Hello,

I own a 2007 Legacy 2.5i. I have owned it since new, and the car currently has 82,000 miles on the odometer. I noticed a small oil oil spot beneath where I park and upon looking at the engine, I noticed a small pool of oil underneath the intake manifold behind what I think is the camshaft position sensor. This appears to be dripping down onto sub-frame cross member just rear to the oil pan. I de-grease my engine bay one a year, and I recently cleaned it, which it what made the oil so noticeable. I took a peek under the engine, and I did not notice any weeping from the headgasket, although I am no expert on that. I took a few pictures of the area, so hopefully that will help. The engine is stock, I do regular oil changes, and I haven't had any other engine problems. The antifreeze in the reservoir is clear green. When the engine was running at idle, I did not notice nay active leaks, but I have not checked it while under higher revs (was late last night when I checked) Thanks for taking a look.

897178545_2013-09-27012enh.thumb.jpg.7d3aee66491a885236355948a1acc811.jpg

engine1.thumb.jpg.3cb59fcd917f81c84e7dc640f6cd8f92.jpg

I'm not sure if the 07 SOHC had AVCS, but if so...

I would wrap a paper towel around the oil switching solenoid, and go for a ride. Check it afterwards.

A top side pooling of oil is odd on a n/a. Pretty much has to be a pressurized leak. Only other areas I can think off are oil pressure switch (under altenator), PCV hose/valve, or a split in your crankcase.

What is your oil level at?

I'm not sure if the 07 SOHC had AVCS, but if so...

I would wrap a paper towel around the oil switching solenoid, and go for a ride. Check it afterwards.

A top side pooling of oil is odd on a n/a. Pretty much has to be a pressurized leak. Only other areas I can think off are oil pressure switch (under altenator), PCV hose/valve, or a split in your crankcase.

What is your oil level at?

Hi,

Oil level is full, although I check it about once a month. Also, no CELs and the engine seems to be running normally. I am 95% sure the 07 sohc engine does have AVCS, but I am not familiar with the location of the oil switching solenoid. Thanks for the insight though

Hi,

Oil level is full, although I check it about once a month. Also, no CELs and the engine seems to be running normally. I am 95% sure the 07 sohc engine does have AVCS, but I am not familiar with the location of the oil switching solenoid. Thanks for the insight though

After looking at the manual, looks like the solenoid is that white plug in the pictures you attached.

And np. That's what the community is for. ;)

So I wrapped the solenoid with paper towel before I left for work yesterday, and I checked it this morning. There was not much oil on it, but I dont think it was wrapped enough around the base of the sensor. So I will try again today. I will say, however, that there is still a small ring of oil around the base of the solenoid, so only time will tell at this point.

I have the same issue, 2007 legacy 78k, I noticed oil spots and also have small puddles of oil in the low spots on top of the engine. Upon further checking I saw small droplets of coolant on the bottom of the engine when I changed the oil.

Is this the head gasket issue that I've heard about?? I can also send pictures later if that would help. But any help would be great!

I had the exact same problem. All you gotta do is unplug the sensor unbolt it and replace with a new one which is about 30$.. no more leak. i remember the sensor being called an oil pressure switch

The oil pressure switch is the one in the middle, under the altenator. It is also another likely candidate for a "top-side" leak...

Yup i had to change both they looked very similar they both went so bad that it started triggering the check engine and lost my cruise control sometimes the leaked oil drip in places it would smoke up the engine bay and that's when i did not postpone the fix anymore lol

The oil pressure switch is the one in the middle, under the altenator. It is also another likely candidate for a "top-side" leak...

I received the sensor today (Oil Pressure sensor), and that is the wrong part apparently. I should have paid more attention to djfunk's post! It's a pretty cheap part , so I will hang on to it just in case. Anybody know what the white sensor part is?

Cornelious, the attachment is from the 2008 pix. Item 'B', upper right corner. Pretty sure the 07 should be the same naming, at the least...

opposedforces.com was actually working and lists the part number as 25240AA060. I pulled it up on some parts sites, and its labeled as "oil pressure sending unit".

The part number listed for the "oil pressure switch" (under the altenator) is 25240KA040. Looks like they're both MSRP'd at the same price, so that's nice.

Hope you can get it sorted out.

MODS: If attachment is in violation, please let me know. I'll remove it, or you can of course do so yourselves.

Vari_Valve_Lift_OPress_Switch.thumb.jpg.ce354e0de93ec193ad1dcded0b19282b.jpg

Cornelious, the attachment is from the 2008 pix. Item 'B', upper right corner. Pretty sure the 07 should be the same naming, at the least...

opposedforces.com was actually working and lists the part number as 25240AA060. I pulled it up on some parts sites, and its labeled as "oil pressure sending unit".

The part number listed for the "oil pressure switch" (under the altenator) is 25240KA040. Looks like they're both MSRP'd at the same price, so that's nice.

Hope you can get it sorted out.

MODS: If attachment is in violation, please let me know. I'll remove it, or you can of course do so yourselves.

Djfunk,

Thanks for the part number....I don't think I would have found it otherwise. Rockauto.com has it listed as "Intermotor; Blade Terminals; Terminal Gender: Male; Light Type; Number of Terminals: 1; Connector Gender: Female" Looks like the correct part, odd name though..

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Well, it has been a month or so since I replaced the oil sender unit, and I think the leak has stopped. I just completed an oil change last week, and I noticed that the sub-frame piece just behind the oil pan is covered in old oil, but it is not actively dripping anymore. Thanks again everybody for all the assistance.

• 2 months later...

Now what would cause oil pooling on top of the block on the passenger side? I dried up the pools and within about 5 days the pools of oil were back. I'm not seeing anything other than possible bad head gasket.

Mine is a 2007 Outback with the 2.5

Anyone know of a good Subaru mechanic in or around Waukesha, WI? I don't have the time to work on the car right now.

Now what would cause oil pooling on top of the block on the passenger side? I dried up the pools and within about 5 days the pools of oil were back. I'm not seeing anything other than possible bad head gasket.

Mine is a 2007 Outback with the 2.5

Anyone know of a good Subaru mechanic in or around Waukesha, WI? I don't have the time to work on the car right now.

There is another sensor that is behind the alternator more to the passenger side of the engine. It looks just like the sensor that I had to replace (Oil pressure sender unit) and I believe it is called the oil pressure sensor. I would start there, its a $15 or so part from the dealer.

Archived