LegacyGT.com

Radar detectors

ladysmanfelpz

Anyone have a radar detector in their subaru? Now before people get all worked up about them, they are there for peace of mind and not to drive like you live in Vice City. Want to try one out, but just want to try a cheapy first. What is a good starter one? I've been looking at the whistler xtr 140. Also where did you mount it on your subaru?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First of all, my question to you is, are radar detectors legal in your state?

In places where they are legal I have seen them attached on your windhshield. There they have the best chance of working how they are supposed to work. This would be applicable to any car not just a subaru.

i own a valentine one, i only speed when it is safe to do so, but it is for peace of mind. they are pretty expensive but they have a lifetime warrenty and lifetime updates. i have had a detector since i started driving, not one single ticket. best of luck.

Whistler = no. When it comes to radar detectors, spend the big bucks or just don't speed. And yes, you're buying it to speed. Don't play it like you're not, just to appease judgmental forumgoers.

I use an 8500x50, which I think is probably the cheapest decent detector you can buy. It's saved me many times and paid itself off, BUT I did get a speeding ticket once with it on. Going around a corner with a rocky mountain wall on the inside meant that my detector didn't go off until I rounded the corner and was right up in the pig's ass. Tagged for 105 in a 90. So they aren't invincible, you still need to be aware of your surroundings and think about when to speed and when not to.

oh hell ya i want to speed. I know i just can't go out there and cruise as fast as I want. But I could follow the fastest car on the road and follow him comfortably because I would know when he is getting tagged and i could slow down. I live in Washington. Would a cheap one be fine for the highway tho because that is all i really want it for?

From personal experience, the ONLY radar detector that saved my ass in my younger days was the Valentine V1. Don't even waste your time/money on anything else. Everything else I tried made me felt like I got played.

Here's something nobody tells you, if you plan to use the V1, do NOT tint your rear windows pitch black. You'll thank me later. Good luck.

oh hell ya i want to speed. I know i just can't go out there and cruise as fast as I want. But I could follow the fastest car on the road and follow him comfortably because I would know when he is getting tagged and i could slow down. I live in Washington. Would a cheap one be fine for the highway tho because that is all i really want it for?

Seriously.. slow down. If there's a cop on an overpass around the bend, all he needs to do is tag the car in front of you, see that you were keeping up and radio you in too.

You won't have time to slow down and there's a good chance he won't even need to hit you with the radar to know your speed.

Seriously.. slow down. If there's a cop on an overpass around the bend, all he needs to do is tag the car in front of you, see that you were keeping up and radio you in too.

You won't have time to slow down and there's a good chance he won't even need to hit you with the radar to know your speed.

Good luck with that holding up in court

Good luck with that holding up in court

I can't see why it won't. If you're keeping pace with a speeding vehicle of known speed, then you're clearly speeding.

Police often use visual speed estimation and only use the laser gun to verify the estimated speed. Typically the estimate is accurate to within a few MPH.

And if Smokey is using laser and tags you as you come over the crest of a hill, forget it, you're toast :lol:

^^Truth. My radar was useless when I got spotted by a Police airplane calculating my speed from 500 feet above me. Then radio a ground officer sitting on an overpass waiting for me to pass by. Tried to fight it in court, but the spotting officer and arresting officer both showed up and bent me over in court.:mad:
My wife's balls are delicious.

A radar isn't a 100% solution, but it gives you some statistical advantage over your current situation. Even if it only ever saved you from 1 ticket it's still probably saving you money in the long run. Who can say that their radar has never done *anything* for them?

I didn't start driving faster when I got my V1. I had just recieved 2 tickets in the last month (right after I got my LGT ;) ) and was driving way slower anyways. I just wanted to have every chance possible of not getting a ticket. I could still get popped as they say you gotta pay to play.

I can't see why it won't. If you're keeping pace with a speeding vehicle of known speed, then you're clearly speeding.

Police often use visual speed estimation and only use the laser gun to verify the estimated speed. Typically the estimate is accurate to within a few MPH.

And if Smokey is using laser and tags you as you come over the crest of a hill, forget it, you're toast :lol:

^^Truth. My radar was useless when I got spotted by a Police airplane calculating my speed from 500 feet above me. Then radio a ground officer sitting on an overpass waiting for me to pass by. Tried to fight it in court, but the spotting officer and arresting officer both showed up and bent me over in court.:mad:

nothing is fool proof

There's already a ton of discussion on this topic, ladysmanfelpz:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/do-you-guys-hide-your-radar-detectori-140702.html?t=140702&highlight=radar

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/radar-lidar-chat-speed-detection-and-speed-detection-countermeasures-131253.html?t=131253&highlight=radar

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/avoid-speeding-tickets-119273.html?t=119273&highlight=radar

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/which-radar-jammer-do-you-have-recommendi-115601.html?t=115601&highlight=radar

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/budget-cheap-radar-detectors-100165.html?t=100165&highlight=radar

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/best-radar-marketi-55047.html?t=55047&highlight=radar

You need to figure out what you need - and that's based on your budget, your local and most-traveled area(s) enforcement habits and hardware, as well as your personal preferences.

But that's hard to figure out, if you don't know the basics:

First and foremost, you have to understand the fundamentals of speed-detection tools and tactics, both in-general as well as how they relate to your area, along with a good understanding of exactly what a RADAR/LIDAR detector is capable of (and what it is not).

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Archived