LegacyGT.com

Weird noises

So I just got a stereo installed in my car (aftermarket sub and amp with the factory deck) and I have noticed ever since when I accelerate it makes a noise like air is coming into the car (Kind of like the heat/ac is being turned on, but no air is coming out). I have absolutely NO idea what the hell it is… any ideas? Keep in mind I never noticed it before I got my stereo installed.

:confused:

Thanks.

Did the install involve running a power line through the firewall? If so, maybe they didn't re-seal it well and you're hearing the result of some missing sound insulation.

Yeah good point. They usually have to do that for every install..

How should i go about seeing if thats the problem?

Lifetime warranty on install but the place is like 45 mins away from my house. :mad:

gut tells me its a poor ground. Does the noise go away when the stereo is turned off? If so, that rules out the actual "air noise" theory.

No it does not go away when the stereo is turned off.. thats how i noticed it..

The setup i have is a a

hi-ref x800 amp

image dynamics 12

and then i got a mempis audo controller.

I might just give them a call to see whats up....

Well, if the system is off, a ground hum coming through the signal wires shouldn't matter. Although the most likely explanation is that there is indeed a ground issue, it should go away when the system is turned off.

That brings up a second problem, IMO, which is that your aftermarket amp is not turning off when the headunit is turned off. They likely used an ignition switched 12V source for the amp turn-on when they should have used something switched by the OEM headunit like the antenna amp trigger.

ignore him, he'll go away.

Well, if the system is off, a ground hum coming through the signal wires shouldn't matter. Although the most likely explanation is that there is indeed a ground issue, it should go away when the system is turned off.

That brings up a second problem, IMO, which is that your aftermarket amp is not turning off when the headunit is turned off. They likely used an ignition switched 12V source for the amp turn-on when they should have used something switched by the OEM headunit like the antenna amp trigger.

I think you hit the nail on the head

Archived