LegacyGT.com

Best way to deal with rock chips!!

I live in Reno/Tahoe, my car only has just over 7k miles on it and I've got a TON of tiny rock chips. Hard to see until you get real close, then my nausea kicks in. How can I deal with them. I put paint sealer on when I got it (not the dealer, ME, and bought the good stuff, Klass).

I plan on getting a clay bar setup to do before the next polish and sealant work (prob. not till April/May.

Is the clay bar gonna help? I know it wont fix the chips, but will they be less visible after clay/polish/sealant?

OCDetails, I bet you have some good advice, can't wait to hear it!!

Actually, polishing the paint usually makes the chips stand out even more. There isn't anything you can do to diminish the appearance of chips in the paint other than touching them up. Just the general hamburger that all our bumpers get turned into is probably just easier to repair by dotting touch up paint on top and not really worring about sanding and all that stuff. My goal with rock chips is just to make them less noticable and keep the paint from continuing to chip. For that just dotting touch up paint on the chip works fine. Paint sealants don't do anything to protect the paint from rocks. It is just durable UV protection that keeps the paint from fading and oxidizing. It can also help reduce swirls in the paint, but rocks won't stop for nothing.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

• 4 weeks later...
What color is your car? I have found that taking the colored waxes made by either Busch or Turtle Wax and laying a heavy coat on the bumper, making sure that it gets into all the rock chips, can diminish them somewhat for the short term. Make sure you let the wax set up for a fair amount of time, then buff it off with a MF towel.

Like twowheels00, I too have some rock chips that I'd like to touch up on my Black '05 OB but I can't seem to find anything to touch it up with. Do I have to resort to a dealership?

Anyone have any experience with a touch up product that works well

How many ways do you think there are to touch up? It's not like waxing your car where you have a thousand options. There are three ways to touch up your bumper... You can either do it the fast and easy way by just dabbing the spot with the paint and leaving it at that, or you can do it right and prep the surface and sand the paint down and polish afterwards. The thrid way is just a faster way of doing it right and is a little easier once you get used to it. This should spell it out for you. Touch up work is not necessarily the easiest thing in the world. It takes patience and practice.

OCDETAILS BLOG

• 2 weeks later...

OCD, never seen someone with so much detailing knowledge! you are definitely a fantastic resource here.

i have a question regarding fixing damage to paint. due to my inattention, i backed up into a cement block, just to the point where the rear bumper touched the cement, thereby causing some chips in the paint. arrggh! the car is only 2 months old and i'm stressing about the damage.

if i got the porter cable 7242, could i touch up and buff out the paint to make it look new? if i have some superficial scratches, do i simply buff them out without touch up paint?

tia from a detailing noob:)

If you can feel the scratches with your fingernail then they are too deep to polish out. Subaru Legacy paint is pretty thin and it doesn't take much to scratch it all the way off. Brushing on touch up paint for this kind of damage isn't really the way to do it either. On rashes the best way to fix it is to air brush the paint on. That isn't something I would encourage a beginner to do, so you will probably have to take it to a body shop and have them take a look at it. They can fix it for probably a couple hundred dollars.

OCDETAILS BLOG

Probably closer to 300. Most minor damage that doesn't require heat to reshape or bondo to repair cracks can be done for less than $300. Just make sure they take the bumper off the car first. Otherwise you'll have to clay off all the overspray. Make sure the rest of the car is smooth as glass when they give it back to you. If it feels rough then it is because they got paint overspray everywhere and they need to take care of it. Give them that expectation when you get estimates and see if it changes the number.

OCDETAILS BLOG

Archived