LegacyGT.com

Development study: JDM bezel conversion.

HighlineCA

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

EB50,

A) What speakers do you have? That makes ALL the difference in the world.

B) Have you done any sound deadening in your front doors? Again, this made huge differences with my install

C) have you considdered doing a cubby install? I was playing around with the Alpine PXE-H650, and while many people like it, I wasn't happy, as it didn't have enough adjustments. I ended up putting my old Eclipse 8053 instead of the cubby on the dash.

I'm sure a combination of the above can make you very happy with the stereo.

(BTW, i haven't put them in the marketplace yet, been too busy, but if you need speakers, I've got a set of Boston Acoustic Z6's that are Legacy ready. They're built into spacer brackets, and tweeter brackets, just bold on. (3-4 longer screws may be requried.)

PM me if you're interested, or if you want some advice on how to get your setup sounding better. There's no reason that you can't get a good stereo with some elbow grease as opposed to getting a new car.

Edited by ean611
punctuation error

EB50,

A) What speakers do you have? That makes ALL the difference in the world.

CDT Coax fronts and JL VR rears (VR fronts blew)

B) Have you done any sound deadening in your front doors? Again, this made huge differences with my install

Edead V1.0 on all doors, trunk

C) have you considdered doing a cubby install? I was playing around with the Alpine PXE-H650, and while many people like it, I wasn't happy, as it didn't have enough adjustments. I ended up putting my old Eclipse 8053 instead of the cubby on the dash.

Yes but i have my nuvi 660 in there

I'm sure a combination of the above can make you very happy with the stereo.

(BTW, i haven't put them in the marketplace yet, been too busy, but if you need speakers, I've got a set of Boston Acoustic Z6's that are Legacy ready. They're built into spacer brackets, and tweeter brackets, just bold on. (3-4 longer screws may be requried.)

PM me if you're interested, or if you want some advice on how to get your setup sounding better. There's no reason that you can't get a good stereo with some elbow grease as opposed to getting a new car.

EB50, ah, sounds like you've got a good setup in there!

The factory head unit is your weak point, and you have a few choices.

A) You can get an Alpine PXE-H650, it may help

B) You can get a Rockford 3sixty.2, it is like the Alpine unit, only better, as you can set it up yourself.

C) Cubby install. Yeah, it takes away space for your nav, but you can then mount your nav in front of where the stock radio is, as you'll never be using that area of your dashboard.

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

So I just stumbled upon this.

Am I correct in interpreting TDogg's request for the nav system?

Is he looking for a double din bezel to put something like this: http://www.kenwoodusa.com/Car_Entertainment/Mobile_Video_n_Navigation/Navigation/DNX7120 where the stock Nav is?

I do not have Nav and I have the little cubby hole and the mpg computer. I want to swap it all out for a double din nav.

Where do I get the bezel to do this? Does HCA make these?

There was at one point a kit. Tdogg already did the research on it. Its unavailable. Either not being imported or discontinued.

We can make that bezel to fit that upper location. The difficulty is we do not have a LGT here to build off of. The clearance behind the cubby is extremely limited. As said to Tdogg, it can be built if we plan it all correctly (having a tester here for a few days and being able to make a mold and brackets to mount the radio). Please contact us for further details.

To add to your list ean, I would look into the Audiocontrol DQL8 as well. Its features are super extensive and also supports USB tuning.

John - $950 is the bezel/hvac mod: Our own mod. The JDM mod will be less (uses JDM controller as a base and modified by us). FYI - Japanparts is not moving on their price. Its $300 regardless.

Sorry havent kept up in this thread. Been super busy getting everyones projects home.

Thanks,

Rich @ HCA

I agree. This is been a long time in the making, and I'm still looking forward to the whole JDM thing. $1k for the bezel/havac mod is too rich for my blood since you have to start from scratch afterwards.

I'm also interested in the ballpark price of the JDM conversion!

There was at one point a kit. Tdogg already did the research on it. Its unavailable. Either not being imported or discontinued.

We can make that bezel to fit that upper location. The difficulty is we do not have a LGT here to build off of. The clearance behind the cubby is extremely limited. As said to Tdogg, it can be built if we plan it all correctly (having a tester here for a few days and being able to make a mold and brackets to mount the radio). Please contact us for further details.

To add to your list ean, I would look into the Audiocontrol DQL8 as well. Its features are super extensive and also supports USB tuning.

John - $950 is the bezel/hvac mod: Our own mod. The JDM mod will be less (uses JDM controller as a base and modified by us). FYI - Japanparts is not moving on their price. Its $300 regardless.

Sorry havent kept up in this thread. Been super busy getting everyones projects home.

Thanks,

Rich @ HCA

If the price was right, I'd like to have an upgraded nav bezel and eliminate the integrated buttons, therefore allowing use of the new Kenwood system for integrated Bluetooth and iPod. However, if it's too expensive, it may just be worth the route to get a Parrot, drill a hole through the console for wiring and be done.

Let me get this clear ... the $950 mod is the one you offer NOW, the "JDM mod" is

the one still under development (and intended to be substantially cheaper) ?

Edited by JohnEylesj

or just get the JazzyMT board or one of the other solutions out there for us and that way you at least get aux in.

Perhaps another option (not necessarily cheaper if you buy a new one)

would be to get the stereo/HVAC for a newer car (whichever year

that aux-in and USB became standard) and drop that into your '05

or '06 ? Assuming it fits and is otherwise compatible ...

u havea 2.5i? does that have dual HVAC?

I think the "regular" 2.5i has the "manual" controls and thus can use

CrotchFeel's (or similar) mounting kit.

But the 2.5i Limited has the "automatic/dual" controls and thus

awaits Highline's project !