LegacyGT.com

New Mods...New Clutch noise...need advice on replacement parts

2005 LGT 5MT wagon

A turbo swap, catless up/dn, fp, tune ect. has led to the desired power increase but also to a new clutch noise.

I am going to start saving for a new clutch and flywheel and I need some advice on what to get.

Mods are likely producing 250hp to the wheels at 17lbs of boost. I can check with my tuner later for exact numbers.

Current clutch/flywheel have only 45K on them. Judging by the sound I suspect the throwout bearing.

Creeks/squeaks when depressing clutch, especially when cold starting engine. Weird subtle whistle/whine noise between 2K - 3K rpm. mostly noticeable in 3rd gear, also heard in first. Seems to be happening during "load bearing" pulling for the motor between -10 - 0 on boost gauge.

Thanks in advance for your input

Spec Stage 2 clutch + spec Light Weight flywheel + tsk3 sleeve kit. Or clutch master fx series clutch with a 06+ wrx single mass flywheel. Or an Act clutch. Lots of threads regarding clutches just make sure to get the TSK3 sleeve for the output shaft on the transmission. You can get it from Fred Beans parts or other site vendors.

I would not do a LWFW again, to much noise.

When it comes time, a Spec 2 clutch and 07-09 Legacy GT FW, same FW as the 06+ WRX.

Your making more power now, so the noise level will increase. These tranny's are known for being loud.

Have you replaced the fluid with Extra-S every 30,000 miles ?

The TOB and clutch pedal make noise from time to time. My wagon did it the other night backing out of a driveway. The next shift, it was fine. Hasn't happened again, it will in a few day's or weeks.

You know how 10y/o's can get a little cranky at times...LOL

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Definitely due for a fluid change. Would be awesome if that did the trick. Thanks for the input guys.

My fear is the previous owner did the clutch swap and I wasn't there to supervise. :) Got receipts for the clutch and flywheel at purchase.

This car is effin awesome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

well who knew how difficult it would be to get my hands on extra-s

Subaru dealership (supposedly a really good one) parts department said they had never heard of it! Problem being the tranny is already drained. I almost put lucas oil 75w90 synthetic in it. Did a quick search on performance and nfw its going in my car.

Dealership has a 75w90 performance oil. They also have 75/80 extra mt in a 5 gallon bucket.

this sucks, i just want to fill it back up and get on with my life

Do your self a favor and buy it from Fred Beans.

I'm stopping by my dealer tonight, I'll ask my buddies at the parts dept about it. What most dealers use is not Extra-S.

If they can't find a good answer, use Motul 300.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

The 20L can is K0322AA093

I just emailed my buddy at the parts counter with it. When I asked him he said they have a long list of fluids now. I told him I have the can and would send him the p/n.

I'll let know what he say's.

Here you go,

I just looked into this, they stopped doing the 20l cans of it. Now they offer only quarts and call it high performance 75-90 gear oil. the new part # is SOA427V1700 for the qt. it retails at $10.23 per qt and I can sell it to you for $8.18 per qt.

there is also a note saying that I have to get it drop shipped from a third party supplier, so im not sure if there is a minimum purchase quantity. Ill have to check with Subaru on that and get back to you

2005 LGT 5MT wagon

A turbo swap, catless up/dn, fp, tune ect. has led to the desired power increase but also to a new clutch noise.

I am going to start saving for a new clutch and flywheel and I need some advice on what to get.

Mods are likely producing 250hp to the wheels at 17lbs of boost. I can check with my tuner later for exact numbers.

Current clutch/flywheel have only 45K on them. Judging by the sound I suspect the throwout bearing.

Creeks/squeaks when depressing clutch, especially when cold starting engine. Weird subtle whistle/whine noise between 2K - 3K rpm. mostly noticeable in 3rd gear, also heard in first. Seems to be happening during "load bearing" pulling for the motor between -10 - 0 on boost gauge.

Thanks in advance for your input

I wouldn't be so fast to point the finger at the TOB. Plenty of us have squeaky clutch pedals that emanates from depressing the clutch, but it has to do with the all the linkage, not the clutch itself. A bad TOB will chirp or hum constantly when the clutch pedal is depressed (you might even be able to feel it vibrate through the pedal if its bad enough), but depending on how you drive coupled with the new power, saving for a clutch is a wise decision.

As for the noise between 2 and 3k...that sounds like turbo noise to me, since it happens under load. Its not anything bad, unless it were to get worse.

And as a FYI, the LWFW is by far the worst mod I've done to my car. It's wonderful for rev matching but HORRIBLE for noise and daily driving. Go with the right WRX SMFW.

What kind of noise are you guys getting with LWFW's? On my other cars LWFW's were a pain to daily drive, but never had noise.

Driveline noise. The tranny sounds like a 1940's truck in the first 3 gears. When you lift going down a hill, the noise increases.

I highly doubt that unless he already had an aftermarket clutch in it. In that case, it would've started chirping immediately when the clutch was originally installed.

I highly doubt that unless he already had an aftermarket clutch in it. In that case, it would've started chirping immediately when the clutch was originally installed.

Sorry linked the wrong one.

This is what I meant to link:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4296772&postcount=4

Same picture different text.

I am really hoping this solves the issue as I have a new clutch with only a year (15k-20k) miles on it. When the clutch is pressed that's where it sounds like the squeak is coming from.

Driveline noise. The tranny sounds like a 1940's truck in the first 3 gears. When you lift going down a hill, the noise increases.

Does it get louder if you push the shifter all the way to the left or right? Maybe that's the noise my car has been having...

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

On thehighway I thought to check this. I have very little if any play when pulling the shifter to the left and have to push hard to get it to push to the right. No change in the sound.

I did notice there is still a whine when I drop in into neutral and coast to the exit.

I have said before, the Spec B's tranny has no noise, so the wagons tranny seems much louder compared to it. The 5mt is a lot more noisy with the LWFW.

Subaru High performance 75/90 in it. This might be a good update for the tranny/dif fluid change pictorial thread

Noise is unchanged

Linkage noise is present but not the concern

Thanks for the links and input fellas!

On thehighway I thought to check this. I have very little if any play when pulling the shifter to the left and have to push hard to get it to push to the right. No change in the sound.

I did notice there is still a whine when I drop in into neutral and coast to the exit.

I have said before, the Spec B's tranny has no noise, so the wagons tranny seems much louder compared to it. The 5mt is a lot more noisy with the LWFW.

It only really happens for me as I'm decelerating in gear (downhill). If I do the same while accelerating the noise is higher pitch and quieter.

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

Subaru High performance 75/90 in it. This might be a good update for the tranny/dif fluid change pictorial thread

Noise is unchanged

Linkage noise is present but not the concern

Thanks for the links and input fellas!

Keep us updated please! Curious what you will find. I tried lubing a bunch of stuff today. Didn't really seem to change anything.

Really don't want a new clutch soon.

• 6 months later...

Archived