LegacyGT.com

Hear liquid "swooshing" when I take turns...

Ok I may be crazy but since I parted out my car I can distinctly hear liquid "swooshing" back and forth when I make turns.

I can't imagine what it could be. I would think it would be impossible to hear the gas tank but that is kinda what it sounds like except it sounds like it is coming from the trans or the engine.

I thought it was only happening when it was cold but I just heard it pulling into my driveway. I can only hear it at low speeds and sharp turns.

Any thought? I have had loud exhaust on for 2 years so maybe this is normal for how quiet it is stock

First thing I thought of was water under the glovebox. It was a rainy day and on my way home I stopped short and water spilled out onto my passenger side floormat. Never found the cause of the backed up water but the main suspect is blocked AC drain tube.

If you remove the panel below the glovebox you might see how the water can collect. There is a tube going from the center console down to the footwell area you can find if you remove the panel and pull back the liner.

Well I will check what you suggested, but I just went out and basiaclly shook the car and man you can totally hear the gas in the gas tank like as if it were right next to you.

It is actually loud being it was quiet in my garage when I did it. So I am now thinking that it is probably the movment of the gas in the tank that I am hearing but I guess I haven't heard it in 2 years b/c of the exhaust.

Amazing...

you shouldnt hear the gas in a new car... they have stuff inside of them so the gas can move around, but not slosh. The best way to find out if it is the gas is to get the tank almost empty and see if that is it or not. After that I would make sure there isnt something wrong with your tank cuz even on classic cars you cant hear the gas slosh unless the car stalls or something. My friend has a 68 Land Cruiser with the gas tank right under the passenger seat. If he stalls the car 4 wheeling or something you can hear gas moving around, but its still not that loud.

Well I checked the coolant tank last night and there was nothing in the Resevoir. So I filled that back up to "Full" and it seemed to be better this morning. I think you guys are right about it being coolant related though.

When I removed my Samco Hoses I had to flush the coolant and refill. Maybe when I did that I didn't add enough back to the coolant tank and there was too much "space" in there so I heard the coolant that was in there swooshing around? Either way I will keep a look out. I know I have no leaks and the car isn't overheating ever.

I guess if neither of those are happening it can't be a big deal

I had exactly this problem on a rental Toyota a while back...I was away and they didn't rent LGTs:mad: It turned out to be the air-con condensor resevoir...it wasn't draining properly so it sloshed around when I turned and braked, I found the resevoir drain and tweaked it with a stick....there must have been dirt in the drain tube...about 3 litres of water gushed onto the ground ....... END of problem.:wub:..check it.

Identical thing happened to my 06 Civic SI at around 25k miles....except it went away when A/C condensor was not on (bear in mind that your A/C turns off if you have the front defroster on...). Anyhoo, it got to the point where water was splashing on what I believe to be the condensor....

In other words, after 30 minutes of driving with A/C on during the heat of this past summer, the water would be sloshing around...gaining more water....and then eventually it would slosh onto what sounded like the condenser (it made a very loud hissing sound when it did this). Drain was clogged. Unclogged it, problem solved :)

Did you burp your radiator system when you replaced the hoses? If not, and you've got enough air to cause any sort of sloshing sound, then God help you. But I doubt it's that....people are saying radiator, and that's fair, but you need to have significant fluid moving around alot of space to hear something INSIDE the cabin while driving. The gas tank is insulated and shaped in such a way you should almost never hear it. The coolant system would need to have alot of air in it to make a sloshing noise...

I vote for A/C drain clog :)

Joe

Honestly i am not running with the AC on when I hear it. It is usually in the morning when the car is freezing and I am backing out of the garage that I hear it. There is no wetness on the carpets, nothing in the spare tire. In fact it hasn't rained here in a while and I haven't driven through any high water.

I will listen hard to see if it was the res tank being low that caused it. Again the car was not overheating at all and the needle was never moving. I have seen the effect of air in the system on this car and that needle will move all over the place so that isn't happening.

I don't know exactly where else to even look if I do in fact still hear it. Ill check back later when I listen for it again

Ok the adding of fluid didn't stop the sloshing of liquid. I am almost convinced the sound is coming from like inside the dash area. It sounds like there is 1 gallon of water in a 10 gallon fish tank and when I hit the brakes hard at slow speeds or take a sharp turn as slow speeds I can hear that "1 gallon" of water sloshing from side to side.

Ok the adding of fluid didn't stop the sloshing of liquid. I am almost convinced the sound is coming from like inside the dash area. It sounds like there is 1 gallon of water in a 10 gallon fish tank and when I hit the brakes hard at slow speeds or take a sharp turn as slow speeds I can hear that "1 gallon" of water sloshing from side to side.

That's definitely the AC drain line clogged up. It proceeds to fill up the HVAC plumbing once that happens. I'd get that drained quick before it freezes up and destroys stuff.

When mine clogged up I got the same fish tank sloshing sound under the glovebox area. ALso, I could hear the HVAC fan running through the water when I cranked up the fan speed. Sorry I can't help you locate it since my dealer fixed mine.

Yeah I saw that tube and I was squeezing it but that doesn't seem to be the source of my water. There is NO water in the car. That entire area is dry as a bone. There is noting dripping. Nothing on the carpet.

I don't have a compressor and I couldn't figure out how to "blow air through the tube" but it can't be my issue since there is no air there. My water must be pooling somewhere and I just have no idea where.

My car is out of warrenty and I don't want to get hit with a large expense for something stupid.

Any other thoughts on what I could check....where does that tube drain to? Where does ouside water drain to when it runs off the sunroof or down the windshield?

The tube drains the evaporator box. In some situations, the evaporator core can get really icy. When the ice melts the water drains through the tube. If something prevents that drainage, some think the next lowest drain point is through the blower motor/cabin air filter, which seemed to be true for my car.

Sounds like you've already checked everything I'm aware of. Good luck with your search and fix.

Archived