LegacyGT.com

Stalls and won't Start

My daughter has a 97 legacy gt that was having some issue with running come to find out bad fuel pump replaced it, was running great as we test drove roughly 15-20 miles and as we slowed down it cut off and has been unable to start. I ran codes and it said to replace the crankshaft positioning sensor which I did and still no good, also checked timing all good there. When I try to start it the motor runs but spudders and dies. This i a great car but it has me at my wits end need HELP!!!!:confused:

new or used crank sensor?

look for a loose vac hose uinder the hood.

look for loose vac lines.

especially a large one, the size of your thumb, running from the passenger side intake manifold to the black plastic intake plenum on the under side.

it connects to the intake plenum on the very bottom and is hard to see.

good luck.

Yes, the large vacuum hose runs from the idle air control valve to the intake plenum. I accidentally pulled mine off while changing the air filter and the car would run for about 5 seconds and sputter and die. I didn't get a code then but i removed it another time enough to spray some Seafoam into the IACV to clean it and it did give me a CEL then (I just reset it once everything was connected again and the CEL went away).

wouldnt that pop a code as well though?

My car did the same thing a couple years ago. Guess what? The engine temperature sensor did not initiate a code. Key word is engine. Not the gauge temperature sensor. They are very close to each other on top of the engine. The gauge temperature sensor only has 1 wire.

RIP 96 Legacy 2.2 4EAT lost reverse @ 374,000 miles

i was inferring the sensor that the ecu uses to monitor the engine, not the one that reports to the gauge on the dash... youd think the one the ecu monitors would cause a CeL if there was no voltage or it was out of range. not saying it isnt possible, ive had more than one sensor not code and be bad.

Archived