LegacyGT.com

Best year 2.5i for traction

I'm looking to pick up a 2007-2009 2.5i limited in the next few months. It will be my daily driver while the LGT becomes a weekend track queen.

What year 2.5i automatic has the best traction package in your opinion? I drive A LOT in Wisconsin winters. I put snow tires on and also about 200lbs of weight in the trunk of my LGT and it is a brute in the snow, albeit a little too much torque so the wheels spin. I'm looking for something equally as capable in the snow. Here's a break down of the different drive packages to save you from searching.

2007 - Automatic trans: electronically controlled, constantly varying, front bias.

2008 - 2.5i Limited: until July 2007, electronically controlled, constantly varying, front bias (90/10 front rear). Model code 8AE

Starting with July 2007 delivery, VDC is standard (below). Model code 8AF replaces 8AE. VDC includes on 4cylinder, 4 speed automatics a traction control system which senses a loss of of traction and applies the brakes to the slipping wheels to maintain vehicle motion (this is not the VTD system on the GT or 3.0R with automatic transmission). VDC all wheel drive traction control system measures variables such as steering input, braking and vehicle angle, and applies individual brakes and/or reduces engine power to counteract skids or slides to help keep you in control.

VDC on 4 cylinder, 4 speed automatics includes traction control system which senses a loss of of traction and applies the brakes to the slipping wheels to maintain vehicle motion. This is not the VTD system on the GT.

2009 - Same as 2008 model.

Any other features that would help me decide between these three model years? HK sound system, Aux hookup for MP3 player, etc.

I would go for 2009 3.0R if I were you while it has similar power to the EJ255 it has a more linear torque curve so when youre in that snow you dont have to get the RPMs up high to get power to the wheels.

The 2.5i is comically under powered otherwise it is a great car. If I were to buy another N/A Subaru it will be a H-6 :)

if you just need a daily driver get a 2009 2.5i. it comes with VDC compared to the 08. some 2008 do come with vdc but few i think. the 3.0r does have a better awd system, second i think to that of the sti, but any subaru should be pretty much be unstoppable with good snow tires (in reasonable about of snow).

Thanks for the replys! I'm not looking for a 3.0 at this point. I would strictly like to stay with the 2.5i as it will only be used for daily driving. I'm really leaning towards the 2009 at this point. Now I just need to find one that is reasonably priced. They are all going for around 18k which is a little much IMHO.

i have the 07, i would say as long as your winter tires are good and you have cognizant winter driving skill, it does the job. and with the lower power levels, i would really have to being hooning to get the rear to break loose on a set of new blizzaks last winter.

the vdc could help in certain situations but i can't specifically say that i was at a disadvantage not having it. it's really just a question of weighing the benefits of the extra goodies in the later years for the cost and if you value that enough for the money. it is your daily driver after all.

as for aux input, the 07+ feature that, along with fold down rear seats in the sedans so that's a plus. the sound system is "okay" if you listen to music via the aux input, the radio is just terrible though. the 08+ HK system is pretty awesome in my opinion and would be a nice plus.

The HK sound system is something I'm looking at too. I think my 07 LGT with the SRS WOW system is decent so if the HK system is similar to that, I will be happy. I added a factory sub in my LGT and it has satisfied me the last five years. I actually put some aftermarket Polks in and ended up taking them out because I thought the factory system sounded a little better...

Another must is the Limited package. I'm madly in love with my heated seats, windshield wiper warmers, and auto climate control in my LGT.

That being said, it puts the 3.0R way out of my price range. I'm finding several 09 2.5i limiteds around the $16K-17K range. Which is where I want to be.

Anyone have an 09 with the VDC that runs snow tires that can speak to the ability of the car in the winter? I would be putting something like Dunlop Wintersport M3 tirs on the car. I run them on my LGT and have very good luck with them. Just curious to hear your take on it.

Thanks in advance!

Don't worry about VDC / stability control for winter driving, it will actually get in the way when it's really nasty out. There are times when you need to spin the tires.

Also, if you're familiar with correcting slides in the snow you'll do a much better job than VDC will. If you're not familiar go out and practice someplace safe.

Does the 2005-2009 Legacy 2.5i 5MT have a rear LSD like the LGT? If so that's the best 2.5i transmission for the snow. I'm 95% sure the 4EAT has an open rear diff (and open front like all non-STI Subarus), and as you know it's mostly FWD as well.

If the 2.5i you get does not come with a rear LSD I bet you can pick up a used R160 with a VLSD from a LGT or WRX for very cheap. Would be totally worthwhile if you drive in the snow much.

thinking about it now....the only times i got stuck was when i got beached with snow directly under my car

would you consider a forester or outback for your DD? might be the better option, more ground clearance and utility with the larger interior cargo space etc.

Don't worry about VDC / stability control for winter driving, it will actually get in the way when it's really nasty out. There are times when you need to spin the tires.

Also, if you're familiar with correcting slides in the snow you'll do a much better job than VDC will. If you're not familiar go out and practice someplace safe.

Does the 2005-2009 Legacy 2.5i 5MT have a rear LSD like the LGT? If so that's the best 2.5i transmission for the snow. I'm 95% sure the 4EAT has an open rear diff (and open front like all non-STI Subarus), and as you know it's mostly FWD as well.

If the 2.5i you get does not come with a rear LSD I bet you can pick up a used R160 with a VLSD from a LGT or WRX for very cheap. Would be totally worthwhile if you drive in the snow much.

I've driven A LOT in the snow so I'm very comfortable doing it. The more I think about it, if it gets really bad, I'll just drive the LGT. I'm eventually going to install a front limited slip unit in it so it should be nearly unstoppable except for the ground clearance and beaching it as katalyst mentions below.

I don't think I would go as far as to install a limited slip in my DD. I just want to put gas and oil in it and go. The LGT is for modding! :spin:

thinking about it now....the only times i got stuck was when i got beached with snow directly under my car

would you consider a forester or outback for your DD? might be the better option, more ground clearance and utility with the larger interior cargo space etc.

I would not consider a forester. I'm just not a fan of the style of them. I was heavily considering the outback and it is still not out of the question. I know the outback came with rear LSD in it. Maybe I need to revisit that idea again. I really could use the space to haul larger stuff. Outbacks are a little more prevalent compared to a Legacy.

http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/1445/photo0197j.jpg

I have an '09 2.5i SE, and drove it a bit in the snow this past winter with the stock Yokohamas on it (I got it toward the end of the season so I didn't put winter tires on it). It handled hills very well considering the tires. The photo above was taken after I drove up my driveway as a way of teasing my roommate. His Plymouth couldn't make it up the hill at the end, which is just long enough and steep enough to give FWD cars a problem.

More recently, I've taken it through some muddy dirt roads while on the job, and it handled them like a champ.

you know anohter thing that just came to mind, is that the interior cloth in the 05-07 seems to be better quality with thicker weave that appears to have more durability. the cloth in the 08-09 models is rather soft, not sure if that makes a difference to you but seeing as how you'll probably run into unlimited models that might be a small factor.

i was debating between the 07 vs 08 when i got mine, the pzev motor in the 08 seemed to run a bit rougher as well. that might have improved with that TBS ECU reflash though.

Good to know! It seems I'm narrowed down to a 07-09 Outback 2.5i Limited. I want to stay 07+ because of the Aux in feature and the SRS WOW or HK system.

Good to know also on the pzev motor. I will try and stay clear of them.

Looks like I'll be flying somewhere to buy a car. I found one this weekend (09 Outback 2.5i limited) but they want too much for it and are not willing to negotiate. None of my local dealers have any of these in stock. I have three dealers looking for one for me now. I priced airline tickets and fuel back from several locations and can come out ahead on the deal. I don't like buying a car site unseen, but may take the risk.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, in keeping with my philosophy of "go big or go home" I bought a 2008 Legacy 3.0R.

I got EXTREMELY lucky and found one on Autotrader with 29K miles on it in Ohio priced way below NADA. Not only this, but it is Subaru Preowned Certified! I just flew down and picked it up today. I LOVE IT!!!

I think this will suffice for me...

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=106589&stc=1&d=1318187621

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=106590&stc=1&d=1318190223

IMG_6119.thumb.jpg.8b48e87534acd350cbfd2a9107bf50c1.jpg

IMG_1185.thumb.jpg.06f33b732f6d806f35dac864ca51bdf9.jpg

Well, in keeping with my philosophy of "go big or go home" I bought a 2008 Legacy 3.0R.

I got EXTREMELY lucky and found one on Autotrader with 29K miles on it in Ohio priced way below NADA. Not only this, but it is Subaru Preowned Certified! I just flew down and picked it up today. I LOVE IT!!!

awesome man, i love the H6 engine, it's going to be a great car for DD

congrats on the purchase!

Can someone elaborate on this?

Heated seats, heated side mirrors, heated windshield wipers. Not sure what was meant about an open rear diff... I would want a limited slip rear diff for traction. However if it's open, it might not spin out as easily? :confused:

I disagree. The 2.5 is a very competent motor when not turbo charged.

Agreed. The 2.5NA is a very capable engine. I owned three outbacks with the 2.5i, pulled a trailer with it and had no problems what so ever. I would have purchased a 2.5i in an instant (in fact I almost did) had the 3.0 not come along for the same price as a 2.5i.

awesome man, i love the H6 engine, it's going to be a great car for DD

congrats on the purchase!

Thanks! I'm looking forward to the first snowfall to see how it does. I've done a ton of reading on the 3.0 and have not found one disappointed customer.

Archived