LegacyGT.com

Time to buy 2010 legacy but which one? 3.6 or GT need some advice

funlvr1965

Im sure I'm not the only one that had to face this dilemma that the new designs in the Legacy line seems to have caused. I keep going back and forth between the GT and the 3.6, test drove a 3.6 yesterday and the cvt seems to work pretty good and more power over the slow 2.5i with 6speed I drove previously. The problem is that the cvt tranny is a new design and my wife and I want to pick something thats going to be fairly reliable, I have already heard of people that have had problems with their cvt transmissions already, one woman ended up getting another car from Subaru but not before she went through a frustrating ordeal. I REALLY love the look of the GT and saw one yesterday when I went to testdrive the 3.6 but it was sold. The GT itself in a way is untested because the tranny in it is a new design, its not the same one from 2.5i which is from the wrx from what I understand so is that gonna crap out on us later? an also premium gas must be factored into the cost of ownership as well. I would also like to know what people are going to do about the fact the Subaru didnt include a water temp guage (jeeez) or a boost guage, any way to get the dealer to install at least a watertemp guage? Would love to hear peoples experiences that have either the 3.6 or GT, maybe I should stay away from both of these....... thanks in advance. Oh by the way we currently have a 03 Accord EX coupe with VTECH ......niiiceee power and looking for something thats awd but similar or more power...thanks, Ill subscribe and monitor response.

you might want to take a look in the '10 Legacy/Outback section here: http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=92

hope that helps

Thanks for the read, I read one of those threads previously and thats where I saw that a young lady had a brand new 2.5i with a bad cvt, in the end she got a new car. Also wondering how reliable is the 2.5 turbo engine and how long if properly maintained should I expect the charger to last before seals and bearings start to give out and require a new one? I have had supra twin turbos and Rx7 single and twin turbos and turbo along with engine reliability was very good, as long as you keep the boost within what the turbo can handle.

I have a little experience with this, if not direct experience. I own an '05 GT, and my wife an '01 OB H-6. The '01 H-6 is a 3.0, and 212hp or so, versus the new '10 H-6 which is 3.6 and north of 250hp. So, like I said, not direct experience, but I can say this...

The H-6 is a very nice engine. Smooth acceleration, and even more so with the 5EAT versus the 4EAT (4-speed automatic) in the '01. Which, by comparison, is pretty archaic and clunky. The newer 5EATs are a vast improvement. The GT is even more torquey and punchy, but it really depends on the kind of experience that you want.

If you're looking for smooth acceleration with few surprises, the H-6 could be great.

If you want more power potential and the kick of a turbo, well, then GT is it. :)

The new H-6 is probably very nice; I've experienced it in a new Tribeca, but not the new Legacy. Yet. We'll be driving the new ones soon, since my wife is car shopping.

Oh, and as for reliability, as others have said, it's a new game. Nobody will know for a while, particularly with the CVT stuff. But I really wouldn't worry about it, if I were you; Subaru has very few problems compared to most other brands.

I have a little experience with this, if not direct experience. I own an '05 GT, and my wife an '01 OB H-6. The '01 H-6 is a 3.0, and 212hp or so, versus the new '10 H-6 which is 3.6 and north of 250hp. So, like I said, not direct experience, but I can say this...

The H-6 is a very nice engine. Smooth acceleration, and even more so with the 5EAT versus the 4EAT (4-speed automatic) in the '01. Which, by comparison, is pretty archaic and clunky. The newer 5EATs are a vast improvement. The GT is even more torquey and punchy, but it really depends on the kind of experience that you want.

If you're looking for smooth acceleration with few surprises, the H-6 could be great.

If you want more power potential and the kick of a turbo, well, then GT is it. :)

Thanks for your experience, I just realized that the 3.6r does not come with the cvt tranny, it comes with the 5EAT so I dont have that to worry about, the 3.6 is another thing though since I think the 3.0 in the tribeca has been out for about two years, seems like the tested engine has is the 2.5 GT but I think the tranny is new for 2010, from what I understand its not the tranny from the WRX so I think its a new design maybe someone could shed some light on the tranny. I spoke with someone in the service dept over at Subaru who owns and races a WRX and also to a friend of mine who is a pro racer but also owns his own tuner shop and they both say that the 2.5 turbo engine is a mature and reliable design. Will have to make a decision by next week the latest so trying to get as much info as possible. Thanks again

The new H-6 is probably very nice; I've experienced it in a new Tribeca, but not the new Legacy. Yet. We'll be driving the new ones soon, since my wife is car shopping.

Oh, and as for reliability, as others have said, it's a new game. Nobody will know for a while, particularly with the CVT stuff. But I really wouldn't worry about it, if I were you; Subaru has very few problems compared to most other brands.

Archived