LegacyGT.com

2001 Outback thermostat

Y2KOB

This morning was the first real cold day we've had this fall. My thermostat stuck closed and didn't open until the needle was in the red zone. Once it opened things cooled down fast with no problems. I figured that it was a good idea to change the thermostat but when I looked at the motor it seems that the intake needs to come out or at least move up a few inches to get at the thermostat housing bolts. Am I correct? How big a job is it and what other parts do I need besides the thermostat and gasket? Intake gaskets? Lastly any recomendations on where to buy parts? Thanks Rich:mad:

If you have a 4 cylinder, thermostat is under the water pump in the front of engine.

You have to drain the cooling system and loosen the two bolts that hold the housing. If that hose is soft, replace it while there.

Be sure to watch the orientation as you remove it.

Best to refill with front on stands or ramps, to let the air get out of the coolant line. Do search here or in Endwrench for good procedures for refill.

Buy a chiltons.

Any good thermo will work well. Just get the same temp range which is 170.

O.

Thanks for the help, I'm shoppoing for the Chiltons right now. Another question if you or some one else knows. I buy a lot of my parts on line from Rock Auto, good prices and fast delivery. They list two 4 cyl engines for a 2001 Legacy or outback, one is the EJ253 and the other is EJ 251. They carry a full line of parts for the EJ253 and nothing at all for the EJ251. According to my owners manual I have the EJ251 motor. Would mechanical parts like water pump and thermostat be the same for the two engines? If not where is a good place on line to buy parts for it?

not sure of the minor differences between 253 and 251, but the block is the same, therefore housing is in same place.

If you've had good fortune with Rock, no reason to change now.

If you are unable to save your coolant, get the conditioner from Subaru to add to your refill.

O.

Archived