LegacyGT.com

ContiExtremeContact PSI?

meliaant

Hey folks...having four new ContiExtreme's put on my '05 2.5i tomorrow, and am wondering what the consensus is for best PSI? Any advice would be greatly recommended, thanks!
If you ever catch on fire, try to avoid looking in a mirror, because I bet that will really throw you into a panic.

Ironically, a larger tire (such as 225/45/17) should require less air pressure to maintain the same contact patch. But obviously the tire has a squishier sidewall which is helped with extra pressure. :)

You really should be dialing it in yourself....people on here can provide a good starting point, but you need to drive it around and adjust up and down in 2 PSI bursts, front and rear, to see what you prefer.

Joe

P.s. My 215/45/17 General Exclaim UHPs had the weakest sidewall I've ever driven on (they are 18 pounds each, the lightest streetable tire in 215/45/17). I had them at 38-40 PSI all around but I definitely had to dial-in to find the right amount of steering response, subjective handling feel, and ride comfort.

these are on my short list for my next set (seeing them as a good all round a/s bargain).

if you guys wouldn't mind just quickly sharing (since i've got you all here together :)) along with your psi, how you like these:

1. dry (nice sidewall feel?)

2. wet

3. snow/mix

4. wear

much thx.

thank goodness for Town Fair Tires 30-day refund policy; I'm bringing back the Mastercraft Avenger Touring LSR they talked me into (had to go low $, grad student) and sucking up the extra dough to put the Conti's on...the Mastercraft do ride nice, but man did they completely destroy all handling capabilities in the car...felt like I was driving a '95 LeSabre...yuck...but, ironically, the same tire in T-rated was installed on my wife's Murano, and they couldn't feel any nicer...funny how some tires & some cars just flat out don't work well together.
If you ever catch on fire, try to avoid looking in a mirror, because I bet that will really throw you into a panic.

I'm curious why Avon is so highly regarded on here, which is a subdivision of Cooper, but Mastercraft, also a subdivision of Cooper, is not...

I'm sorry, I was needlessly harsh. The truth is that tires are very individual. Some brands, like Michelin, might have crappy compounds/tread designs on some of their models....but their construction techniques are top notch on every tire. Other tires, like General, are going through a transition right now....most of their older designs are still pretty crappy, but some of their newer tires (like the General Exclaim UHP) are made with great construction technique and solid compounds, though the tire itself is fairly thin by design.

Cheap tires are what they are. They are most likely as good as any tires produced 15 years ago. They are usually made using less expensive constructio techniques (such as the the tire being molded into 2 halves and then glued together, rather than being made in 6ths or 8ths). They do fine most of the time.

But it's the equivalent of cheap valve stems from China rather than Germany. Have you ever seen a valve stem failure? I have. Left me stranded. It was due to cheap valve stems being used.

Joe

they are good in snow/ice BUT DON'T GET OVER CONFIDENT like i did this week end, or you'll be repainting your front bumper like i am this weekend too! though i must say i didn't need any help getting out of the ditch and off the culvert i landed on(i think it was mostly the awsomeness of the car that got me out)

on that note, anyone got a spare left fog for sale?

Archived