LegacyGT.com

Push-button starter pic in the Summer 2008 SOA Drive magazine?

SOA has a picture of a push button starter in their Summer 2008 issue of their Drive magazine. As of now, I thought there were no models that had that feature in them at this point. I know the 2009 Impreza line-up has not been unveiled yet, do you think this is a possible option/feature for the WRX/STI for 2009?

you really put it beyond them to shove a JDM promotional photo in the magazine? I don't

Maybe they will go keyless, though.

BTW, Superhawk, the whole point of the start button is that the key is bluetooth or RFID enabled, and you don't have to take it out of your pocket, or a lady doesn't have to take it out of her purse, or whatever.

The car recognizes the key within three feet of the steering column, and allows the start button to be active.

Sometimes there is a key cylinder, but it isn't mandatory to use, if the system is set up that way.

Some of the nicer systems recognize the key up to 10 or 15 feet away, and unlock the doors as you approach, without having to touch a keyfob or button, and re-set the interior to your memory settings. Theoretically it could allow retained accessory power and convenience lighting settings, as well, and all sorts of things.

But SOA hasn't done that, and the Spec B and 3.0R Limited barely have memory seats, and the GT Limited and 2.5i Limited don't... Let alone the WRX Limited, or STI.

JDM STi has and we don't? Thought we did. I really don't see the point when you still have to put a key in and turn it on anyways, just one more thing to do.

The point of push-button start is that you don't have to put the key in. The "key" is a proximity fob remote. Push a button on the door handle to unlock the car, push a button on the dash for start/stop/accessory.

The keys stay in your pocket the whole time, or if you don't want to sit on them, they can get tossed in a cubby in the center console.

Tons of American cars have this, from those as common as the Camry to limited editions like the Mazdaspeed6. Other advantages too: The Acura RL will not lock the trunk lid if you throw your keys in the trunk and try to close it.

The point of push-button start is that you don't have to put the key in.

Tell that to BMW.

Personally, I'd rather see Subarus have standard 6 Speed auto and manual transmissions before something like push button start. Just seems like it would be more useful, but thats just me.

The point of push-button start is that you don't have to put the key in. The "key" is a proximity fob remote. Push a button on the door handle to unlock the car, push a button on the dash for start/stop/accessory.

The keys stay in your pocket the whole time, or if you don't want to sit on them, they can get tossed in a cubby in the center console.

Tons of American cars have this, from those as common as the Camry to limited editions like the Mazdaspeed6. Other advantages too: The Acura RL will not lock the trunk lid if you throw your keys in the trunk and try to close it.

Yes I have been aware of such things for many yrs. My buddy is a Toyota tech and they were talking about this on Lexus' a while ago B4 it was ever released by anyone. I just didn't think Subaru would do something that cool, I would expect a, insert key, turn key to on, push red button to start type of deal from Subaru. Toyota set it up so you don't even unlock the doors, they just open automatically when you got close enough.

BTW, Superhawk, the whole point of the start button is that the key is bluetooth or RFID enabled, and you don't have to take it out of your pocket, or a lady doesn't have to take it out of her purse, or whatever.

The car recognizes the key within three feet of the steering column, and allows the start button to be active.

Some of the nicer systems recognize the key up to 10 or 15 feet away, and unlock the doors as you approach, without having to touch a keyfob or button, and re-set the interior to your memory settings. Theoretically it could allow retained accessory power and convenience lighting settings, as well, and all sorts of things.

I drove an '09 Nissan Murano with push-button start, their keyfob has to be inserted into the dash or it won't start. It's an elongated oval with a couple of notches in the sides. You stick it into a slot in the dash and it enables the Start button. No proximity detection at all.

I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to engage Accessory mode though. I wanted to listen to the radio without starting the car, but couldn't. It was either running or completely off. No Accessory position.

Oh well, I only drove it one day (loaner vehicle).

I can see a key AND starter button on a classic sports car, kind of for nostalgia. I can kind of even see it for a car like S2000, which is trying to foster a sense of driver involvement.

But on a modern mainstream car, if Nissan, BMW, or others are making cars with start buttons AND require a "plug in" or key insertion, that is pretty dumb, and defeats the point.

my wife liked the idea of the Mazdaspeed6's keyless operation, and the thought of not having to fish around for her keys while carrying groceries, or whatever.

Obviously some like Acura are doing it the right way.

Even the new Lincolns are advertizing capacitance-touch flush buttons on the b-pillar to unlock the car with a code. (rather than Ford's previous add-on keypads that advertise to people to mess with them...)

I drove an '09 Nissan Murano with push-button start, their keyfob has to be inserted into the dash or it won't start. It's an elongated oval with a couple of notches in the sides. You stick it into a slot in the dash and it enables the Start button. No proximity detection at all.

Wow .. I can't think why they do that. That sounds no different than the chip in our keys. In which case, the car actually has LESS protection than cars that have both a key and a chip, and no added convenience.

I just did a little reading, and, according to the following thread, you have to get the tech package (with the Intellikey) for it to work without inserting it into the dash, though you still have to push a button either on the fob or on the door handle (with the fob nearby) for it to unlock. The one I drove apparently didn't have the tech package, so it didn't have the proximity sensor.

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f16e370/306

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
So an update if anyone is interested, I contacted Subaru about why I never get this magazine and they asked for me VIN and told me that it is for owners of Subarus 7 years or younger, which mine was when I got it. Anyway, they offerded to put me on the supplemental list and they even sent me the Fall issue, which I recieved two days after I filed my complaint. I'm pretty pleased.

Such a garbage gimmick. As long as you require a key to plug in...it is useless.

I would have settled for some kind of discreet key chain or wallet card which by virtue of its proximity to the car, correctly identifies "the key" and lets you start the engine at the press of a button. Much like the immobilizer feature inside the key.

But as things stand, my buddy with 335i still plugs in a key then pushes a button. Sorry, but that is more actions/effort than me plugging and twisting a key.

Guest heightsgtltd

This version is a gimmick.

Other versions let you have a fob in your pocket and you push the button when in proximity

Hmm - reminds me I was going to convert the taco, too...
06LOB2.5i MT, JDMRSB, GYTTs, HPS, LGT Mufflers & Leather Wheel, SubiMomo Knob, Inalfa Moonroof, Clutch Switch Bypass, DeDRLd, DeChimed, & Straight Headrest.

Such a garbage gimmick. As long as you require a key to plug in...it is useless.

I would have settled for some kind of discreet key chain or wallet card which by virtue of its proximity to the car, correctly identifies "the key" and lets you start the engine at the press of a button. Much like the immobilizer feature inside the key.

But as things stand, my buddy with 335i still plugs in a key then pushes a button. Sorry, but that is more actions/effort than me plugging and twisting a key.

i agree, its an added step to start the car.

when i was in the market for a s2000, it was:

1. insert key

2. turn key to ignition position

3. clutch in

4. push button to start

makes for bad get-aways...

It is a sports car thing, with the S2000 system. It recalls sports cars and race cars of yesteryear, where there was a procedure to start them, and men were men... etc...

Old race cars had a procedure. Not necessarily a key, other than the electrical cutoff switch. But you had to turn on the electrical system, and flip a couple of switches, then push a button to engage and spin the starter. It built character. :lol:

The Legacy system, at least what I remember, I thought the red start button was on the dash next to the steering column, and the ignition area on the steering column was blocked up with a plastic plug, and there wasn't a need to use the key physically. But, perhaps I am remembering incorrectly, or some other car.

Don't worry. I got the push button on my JDM Legacy and no, you do not need to take your key out to open the door or to start the car.

The door handle has a small push button on the side of it which will unlock the door when you press it (it needs to sense the key that you are carrying of cause).

Once you enter the car, as long as your key is in the cabin, the car will sense it and you simply push the button to start the engine.

Wow .. I can't think why they do that. That sounds no different than the chip in our keys. In which case, the car actually has LESS protection than cars that have both a key and a chip, and no added convenience.

I don't see why Nissan would do that in an '09; my wife has an '05, and it has the smart key...you just have to have it on your person (pocket, purse, etc.), and it detects it within 10 feet, allowing you to unlock doors and open rear hitch by the push of a button...you don't have to insert the key into anything you don't want to:lol:

If you ever catch on fire, try to avoid looking in a mirror, because I bet that will really throw you into a panic.

Archived