LegacyGT.com

I have a 2007 legacy with a 2.5i engine. We had an oil change, accessories belts changed, left front rim and a alignment done. When I picked the car up it was smoking from the left forward side (being burnt on the exhaust). I figured that they dropped some oil during the change. Drove it home and it was still smoking. It never did that before. When I checked the oil I found that it was over filled by a 2 inches on the dip stick. They took it back removed the extra oil and washed the engine. Test drove and gave us back the car. It still leaks. I brought it back and they told me it was a seal behind the timing cover. They also broke the top lug off of it. Ten days later they called me back and told me it is fixed. Dec 23 at 230. We picked it up still smoking. None on the ground. This is a recommended shop by my Subaru friends. Any ideas? Thanks

So they overfilled it, removed the excess oil and replaced a seal.

So for your knowledge the only way to replace that seal (cam seal) is to remove the timing belt and cam gear, pull the old seal and tap in a new one. The seal is cheap and it's not that bad to replace however if done wrong will throw oil out constantly in addition to causing a sludge build up in that area which could clog oil galleys over time and make your life miserable.

First things first go to another shop or the dealer and get a second opinion on the cause of the leak. If it wasnt leaking at all prior to service that makes pointing the finger easier BUT that the servicing party knows that, they may cut more corners to get you out the door.

To break down possible causes for your peace of mind:

1. Cam seal

2. Excessive oil spilled on the engine, will linger and burn over time

3. Vale cover leaking from the bottom portion

4. Axle boot split and throwing grease on the exhaust (since they serviced the tire)

Remember the oil level is fine as long as it is within the operating range of the dipstick (the crosshatch section) if you know your car burns oils you may go higher within that range but never more. My 2.5i burns maybe .25 qts per 3500 miles (my OIC) i fill to middle of range and check it every 3rd fill up ( i dont drive daily or weekly but if you drive more check regularly)

Once you look at the engine and pinpoint the leak let us know

Thanks, we washed the engine and then ran it. We found the forward oil transducer on the left head leaking. We recently had it changed at the Subaru dealer in Toronto. It was hand tight if that. Took it out, cleaned the area and saw what we thought was a casting mark. Reinstalled it by hand and went to tighten. The casting mark was a crack. Now I need to replace the head. I am debating whether I just pull the head or engine. The other head is clean and the timing belt was changed when they did the transducer. I know either way the belt does come off. What is the best way to proceed or is there a proper fix that I have not thought about? Thanks

So before you ever went to this place there was no oil leak, ever? If you went in problem free and left out with a cracked head that's a problem for them, if they (Subaru Dealer) determined it was cracked and the service merely exposed the problem then you should remove the head and repair the crack Since youll be doing that go ahead and replace the head gasket and belt, you can reuse the water pump the OEM pumps rarely fail.

The crack may be able to be fixed with the head attached, you could fill the crack with epoxy depending on the severity and depth of the crack

replace the head gasket (YES both sides) and belt (YES, Gates), you can reuse the water pump the OEM pumps rarely fail (This is true, but I put a new one on, and it's fine).

The crack may be able to be fixed with the head attached, you could fill the crack with epoxy depending on the severity and depth of the crack (HELL NO!!!, this I do not agree with)

The real way to fix this issue is pull the motor. I have head gasket leak, and pulled the motor and replaced everything I could. All pullies, All belts, plugs, OEM Subaru MLS Head Gaskets, Water pump, OEM thermostat, Coolant of course, and tranny fluid. If your 4EAT you will need a TQ seal from Subaru. ( cost 11 bucks I think). this ran me about $700-800 with all OEM, Gates, and Amsoil, parts and just my time.

Do not fix the crack, get a new head, I never cut corners. do it right or pay the price. I did all this at 107K miles. The car has 147K and the car is strong.

We took the car to a well respected shop that was highly recommended by some friends that are long time owners. The car did not have any leaks or smoke before we brought it there. I do understand it is a car and sometimes things happen. It all about the timing. The timing belt and transducer was changed last year. The car was taken to the independent shop in mid December to replace a bent rim,hub wheel bearing and a oil change. They replaced the accessory belts an gave it an alignment. When I picked up the car it was late. When I started it i could smell burning oil. Just thought they had spilled some. While driving I thought it stopped but when I got out to get the mail I seen smoke and could smell it when I got back in the car. The next morning I checked the oil and found it over filled. Still smoked. They took it back drained the extra oil and washed the engine. Not well though. Gave it back. My son picked it up and told me it still was smoking. Gave it back. Ten days later December 23 they told me to come pick it up. STILL SMOKING. We will prepare the engine to a point and decide which way to go. I am leaning on pulling it vs changing the head in position. My moto is if you do do it right. Not sure how I will deal with the shop. I will not pay any additional bills since they all they did was drain the oil and poorly wash it. It took us about 20 mins to wash and detail the engine, road test and trouble shoot. It looks like a very easy task and I am some what familiar with this style engine. Has is somewhat similar to a piston aircraft engine but not. Thanks again

The real way to fix this issue is pull the motor. I have head gasket leak, and pulled the motor and replaced everything I could. All pullies, All belts, plugs, OEM Subaru MLS Head Gaskets, Water pump, OEM thermostat, Coolant of course, and tranny fluid. If your 4EAT you will need a TQ seal from Subaru. ( cost 11 bucks I think). this ran me about $700-800 with all OEM, Gates, and Amsoil, parts and just my time.

Do not fix the crack, get a new head, I never cut corners. do it right or pay the price. I did all this at 107K miles. The car has 147K and the car is strong.

I normally would never suggest epoxy I was giving options under the impression the owner needed a lower cost/temp solution while he figured out who to blame :)

I still find it odd two simple services have now resulted in the owner having to essentially rebuild the top end of the engine.

I would be more upset but yes if you are going to rebuild it might as well do it right. Replace both head gaskets, valve cover and tube seals, cam seals timing belt and pulleys.

If you need a new head you can probably pick up a used one rather than a new casting from Subaru.

We pulled the engine and will proceed with clean up. Looked into replacement engine (remanufactured). Being a 2007 with vvt heads are a little harder to find. Now thinking about getting a left overhauled unit. A few places have them. Getting a used head (not inspected) to me is a gamble. We will replace the other head gasket,some pulleys and timing belt. The car has 290,000 Kms (175,000 miles) it has been a real good car. It has a little rust on one door and some just behind the windshield on the roof so a new engine may not be the best way to go. I do not want to go after the shop and blame him for the oil leak. Some things just happen, it is not a new car. Any suggestions or am I on the right track?

You are on the right track. Change everything you can. Use OEM Subaru MLS new head gaskets (These are steel or metal. I have them on mine. they are not the paper ones they used), Do all pullies/tensioner, water pump, belts, plugs, wires, plug seals, all seals you can see, get torque converter seal if 4EAT tranny (Ask me how I know:(), Use top fluids when reinstall. I recommend Amsoil. I have it in every place fluid goes, including my PS fluid and coolant. I know people yak about using subaru fluids cause this and that, and that's Horse Sh*T. just to get you to buy there stuff. My car runs great and there is not a single Subaru fluid in the car. All Amsoil. keep us posted and take your time.

We pulled the engine and will proceed with clean up. Looked into replacement engine (remanufactured). Being a 2007 with vvt heads are a little harder to find. Now thinking about getting a left overhauled unit. A few places have them. Getting a used head (not inspected) to me is a gamble. We will replace the other head gasket,some pulleys and timing belt. The car has 290,000 Kms (175,000 miles) it has been a real good car. It has a little rust on one door and some just behind the windshield on the roof so a new engine may not be the best way to go. I do not want to go after the shop and blame him for the oil leak. Some things just happen, it is not a new car. Any suggestions or am I on the right track?

I understand that! My 2.5i has 173K on the clock if the engine let go I wouldn't be upset either its served me well. As far as the head if you can get a decent price on the bare casting go for it but you may be able to find a loaded head for not too much more money.

Replace all that is shot and that engine should be good for another 175K!

Archived