LegacyGT.com

Passenger seat belt issue

Hello all,

So i replaced the passenger side seat belt as it retracted when the air bags went off. Unfortunately, the car apparently does not see it at all and the passenger seat belt chime keeps going off every time I drive the car.

Here's a quick summary of what's happening and what has been attempted to solve the problem:

-MY vehicle is a 2007 GT Limited

-OEM seat belts from a crash/accident free donor 2005 legacy was used to replace mine, the airbag module, front sensors and the steering wheel airbag came from the same vehicle.

-Passenger side seat belt chime goes off the whole time car is in operation. The seat belt X2 light on the ceiling console flashes as well.

-Drivers side seat belt warning does NOT go off and works as intended.

-The airbag light is on on the instrument cluster.

-Seat belt chime disable procedure was attempted multiple times with no success.

The airbag light and the annoying passenger seat belt warning is the only two things left to fix right now.

Could it be that I took the seat belt off of a 2005 that did not have the tension sensor on it that's causing the chime to go off?

I don't know why it is doing it but I can help with the chime. Turn the key all the way on but do not start the car, within 30 seconds of powering on insert and remove the seat belt buckle 25 times then shut off the car. the side you do is the side you shut off - driver or passenger. To turn back on just repeat. Again not a fix but hopefully a little sanity till you sort it out.

Are you sure that something else wasn't damaged in your car?

FWIW, my AIRBAG dash light was stuck on last year. I fixed that by re-soldering all the components in the overhead display and cleaning up the connectors. I think your problems are deeper than this, but worth doing anyway I reckon.

Logically speaking, your car *thinks* someone is sitting in the passenger seat. So the sensor that determines this may be getting a false signal (or disconnected/damaged etc).

If my seat thinks that someone's sitting on it, wouldn't buckling the belt solve my problem?

I have already tried leaving the belt buckled in/on and I still get the annoying chime.

Its more of the car can't see or detect that the seatbelt is there or buckled on.

I remember having only two connectors. the abs connector on the seatbelt unit and the tension sensor plug at the bottom mount. I have both plugged in.

Noted on seatbelt not silencing alarm. I think you're getting closer. Sounds like a job for an ohmmeter.

As far as connectors go, look down inside them to make sure the pins/receivers are pushed in and not making contact when inserted. Check also that the spring fingers of each contact are splayed apart, corroded (green) or otherwise suspect.

Im still trying to find the wiring schematic for the passenger seatbelt system from the FSM.

Dealership wanted at least a whole day to diagnose the problem and even they cannot guarantee to find the root of it.

Broken and or damage wires is definitely not the cause of the problem. I also checked all the connections as well.

Symptoms are leaning a lot towards a faulty occupancy sensor. Since I have an 07, the lower seat from might need to be replaced completely.

2005 uses a different approach for passenger seat belts and conections. That is where I would start. Found this out when I jumped balls deep into the 06 Limited interior swap and the owner before me also found this out when he went balls deep in an 07 Shrek B interior swap. 05 passenger seat bottoms have the sensors on them differently, it's hard to explain but visually you can see it when you flip them over. The only connections that work are power seat motors, rest won't connect and I ended up buying an 05 seat to remedy my airbag and seat belt light issues. the 20 something clicks worked on and off but I ended up gutting the chime all together.

06 and up seat w/o spot for seat belt.

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k280/merc6/LGT/51D7489A-1D42-4986-8293-4D0BA3ACA1BD_zpsbgbinuvt.jpg~original

05 with spot for seat belt.

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k280/merc6/LGT/B604015F-28C1-433E-8970-F694CBC8FB77_zpsb56ojarp.jpg~original

Merc can you tell me how you gutted the actual chime and if possible, can you describe where it is located and or what it looks like?

I'd like to temporarily disable the audible chime while I'm hunting down the root of the problem.

The 20 clicks in 30 seconds is not an option in my case as it does not work for this particular problem.

**2005 seats have 4 sensors on them for the occupancy sensor system and 2007's have the sensors on the rails. I do not think that the 07 leggys are compatible with the bladder type sensors found in imprezas of the same year range.

So, i went ahead and purchased a used but year/VIN specific air bag module and installed that in today. All symptoms went away immediately as soon as i turned the key to ACC.

The passenger air bag light now moves from the off to the on indicator when someone sits on the seat.

The passenger seat belt warning light is also functioning perfectly now.

Most of all, the airbag light on my cluster is now gone!

I still removed the chime from the module underneath the steering column cause i really hate that it goes off constantly when your working on your car with the key in the ignition.

Archived