LegacyGT.com

FSM says GL-5 gear oil.

And my opinion is to stick with good ol' dino oil for GL-5, not the fancy (and expensive!) synthetic stuff. Synthetics may have a slight edge in the lubrication department, but they aren't as good at transferring heat away from the gears. Some gear / axle / locker manufacturers will void your warranty for using synthetic.

^ It probably doesn't matter about heat transference if the luberication never breaks down. And why would syn. be worse at heat transfer? That said, if you changed conventional twice or 2/3s as often, it would still be fresh enough for no worries. The thing that gives me more confidence with with syn. is that I know syn. will never become useless. I could drive it well over conventional specifications and know that its still doing its job instead of becoming its own worst enemy.

It probably doesn't matter about heat transference if the luberication never breaks down.

This is where people get themselves in trouble. Synthetic's effective life if longer than dino's, but it isn't infinite.

Also, even if your synthetic oil lasts for 10,000 or more miles, your filter is just as dirty after 3,000 miles as it would be with dino oil. Do you replace your filters every 3,000 and then just top off the synthetic oil? My guess is no.

Synthetic oil has its place, but in my opinion that place is not in cars that are driven daily, back and forth to work and the store. Of course there are exceptions, like if you're running autocross with the thing, and there are some applications where synthetic just works better, like in my Jeep's manual transmission, but in general, conventional oil is just fine.

You guys hav confused the shit out of me. lol.

hit up your subaru dealership and ask for Extra S. it comes as factory fill on 6mt, and is known as liquid gold in the subaru world. if your still confused search the forums for extra S.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived