LegacyGT.com

Help me find a clutch kit

allwheeldrive

So my clutch is gone. I mean completely gone to the point where the car will not move. So my next step is finding a clutch and someone to install it. I found the guy to install it (6hrs for a total of 525.00 of for labor)...not bad in my opinion. Now here is the kicker....

He wants 695 for an OEM clutch kit which according to him does not include a fly wheel. He offered me just over 1k for a Sacks conversion kit which would include a solid fly wheel (if my terminology is off pleas correct) and all the replacement parts.

If I go w/ the Sacks kit conversion it will come to about 1525 + tax.

The other option is I can order the parts and he will install them for the quoted labor price. The only problem I am scared to order and pay for the parts and then find out I need something else, or that I ordered the wrong parts.

What do you all think? I am trying to spend as little as possible but have learned my lesson on cheaping out on parts and will not balk as spending $ on quality products. Sooooo...OEM, Sacks, or piece it together myself?

If anyone is going to recommend the piece it together myself option, help piecing together the package would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance for all the help.

Dude, there is SOOOOO much information on this forum, a quick search will yield on the hell that you need.

If you are looking for the absolute quietest ride and same feel as OEM and really don't plan on doing any sort of power mods on your car, get OEM. The dual-mass flywheel makes a big difference since it dampens things a lot.

If you plan on doing power mods, you will need something better than OEM, such as an ACT HD clutch and single mass WRX 06+ flywheel. However, being that you're going with a single mass flywheel and lighter one, you may or may not get clutch chatter and other sorts of rattles coming from your shifter. Results may vary. I personally I have this setup and the feel of the clutch is fantastic, and the noise doesn't bother me that much at all.

There are other options available too, but the first thing you need to figure out before anyone can even begin making suggestions is figuring out what YOU want. And then search the forums some too.

http://www.fredbeansparts.com/index.php/all.html?subaru=272&search=View+Products&cat=23

$900 for ACT + WRX 06+

$800 for OEM

and there are plenty of other options available there and elsewhere.

Dude, there is SOOOOO much information on this forum, a quick search will yield on the hell that you need.

If you are looking for the absolute quietest ride and same feel as OEM and really don't plan on doing any sort of power mods on your car, get OEM. The dual-mass flywheel makes a big difference since it dampens things a lot.

If you plan on doing power mods, you will need something better than OEM, such as an ACT HD clutch and single mass WRX 06+ flywheel. However, being that you're going with a single mass flywheel and lighter one, you may or may not get clutch chatter and other sorts of rattles coming from your shifter. Results may vary. I personally I have this setup and the feel of the clutch is fantastic, and the noise doesn't bother me that much at all.

There are other options available too, but the first thing you need to figure out before anyone can even begin making suggestions is figuring out what YOU want. And then search the forums some too.

http://www.fredbeansparts.com/index.php/all.html?subaru=272&search=View+Products&cat=23

$900 for ACT + WRX 06+

$800 for OEM

and there are plenty of other options available there and elsewhere.

You're right about the loads of information and I have done research. Perhaps I should have included this in the origioinal post but didn't. This is a time sensative issue for me as I have no working car. I am in the middle of mid-terms in my last semester of college (writing a lengthy paper at this very moment) and do not really have time to surf the net comparing this package to that package, especially w/ my lack of automotive knowledge. That is why I am asking for help with the leg work. If that is too much...no worries. I have lurked on this and other car forums long enough to know how annoying it is when people just post questions w/o reading anything first.

What I am looking for: reliable drive quality, something that will hook up when I get on her (though that is rather infrequent) long life, and ability to go Stage II once I re-aquire a salary.

Let me rephrase it this way, are the prices I posted in the origional post (because that is what it comes down to...money, or lack there of) fair?

If you (other members) were in my position, considering my goals and situation, what would you do?

Working w/ a 2005 OBXT MT w/ 69K on her. I live in South Jersey.

For your needs the stock 07+ Legacy set up is the way to go. Actually if your current flywheel is in good shape, the cheapest thing is a replacement 05 Legacy clutch and pressure plate.

But will it hold the power if he goes to Stage2? My stock clutch went out within 3 months of going stage 2, and as far as I can remember, it never really held the power even at the very beginning if I launched the car a bit too hard.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived