LegacyGT.com

LGT featured in R&T's SPEED Magazine

Just checked out the newest (May) SPEED magazine from Road & Track. Near the end they have a feature on the LGT, they added 18" rims with stickier tires and some strut bars (and brakes from the STi) and they got a 5.5 to 60 and 14.1 in the 1/4. Its also pulled a 0.91 G on the skidpad, higher than the 0.88 they got with the Sti (!), and resulted in lower stopping times. They say "with a hundred more hp the LGT could go from a 330i killer to an M3 abuser"

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Skidpad and braking numbers are always questionable.

They both rely on the inconsistent interface between the rubber and the road. One set of tires can do phenomenal one day and crapier another depending on the type of surface. Unless you are talking about RE-92's they seem to be consistently crappy in my experience.

But it is not rocket science to realize that increasing the friction between the rubber and the road will increase lateral G handling.

SPEED mag is pretty good, I like it...Yeah I hear what your saying re: the skidpad numbers but thats what they got in at least one instance, stopping distance was also reduced a nice bit. (I forgot they also put in STi brakes....)

Skidpad and braking numbers are always questionable.

They both rely on the inconsistent interface between the rubber and the road. One set of tires can do phenomenal one day and crapier another depending on the type of surface. Unless you are talking about RE-92's they seem to be consistently crappy in my experience.

But it is not rocket science to realize that increasing the friction between the rubber and the road will increase lateral G handling.

Oh I know....thats why I question them. Is it a consistent .91 or a one time shot that almost sent the car into a spin? Thats all. If they got the LGT to hit .91 I'd like to see what they got the Rx-8 and S2000 to hit.

OBAMA......One Big Ass Mistake America!

Im just making random comments... not being argumentative.

But 0.91 is phenomenal. Stock rubber would NEVER be able to pull that off not on the dryest, warmest day of the season driving over a crazy glue spill. NEVER!

Im just making random comments... not being argumentative.

But 0.91 is phenomenal. Stock rubber would NEVER be able to pull that off not on the dryest, warmest day of the season driving over a crazy glue spill. NEVER!

That is higher than the 8 and S2000. Not likely.....they must have had great conditions considering when they put the LGT up against the TXS they both were below .80?

OBAMA......One Big Ass Mistake America!

Really depends on the surface.

Chasis design nowadays focuses more on making the best use of the tires because they are the weakest link in any car. Body roll reduction, lowering, chaisis stiffening is all done to make the car transfer the most inertia in the most predictable manner possible to the 4 round rubber things.

Inherently there is nothing wrong with the LGT chasis that would prevent it from pull high G forces. The LGT chasis compared to other cars is already pretty darn stiff. Contrary to popular beleif there is nothing wrong with a MCPhearson Stut design with a rear multilink. The BMW M3 has followed the same philosophy for YEARS over 3 generations and felt no reason to change.

Double wishbone suspensions look great on paper, and the design principles theoretically hold water... but in reality, at least in watered down production car form, they really arent significantly better than well designed McPhearson Systems. Its not like OMG the S4 handles so much better than the M3 cause the M3 uses an "outdated" McPhearson setup. Its actually the contrary...

It really all boils down to how the suspension is set up and more importantly how efficent the suspension is at using th 4 black things on the corner of your car.

When push comes to shove the legacy IS a bigger car and it FEELS less tossable but it dosent mean that it cant produce good numbers.

That is higher than the 8 and S2000. Not likely.....they must have had great conditions considering when they put the LGT up against the TXS they both were below .80?

AWD cars are inherently better than 2WD on the skidpad. Tires also make a huge difference. A race tire (Hoosier, Victoracer, etc.) on an LGT would probably push skidpad numbers closer to 1g. High skidpad numbers don't always translate to better handling anyway.

would page size PDFs be too big to attach to this thread?

I will probably buy the magazine for this article when I get to the news stand, so I'll see if I can get some PDF files generated, if they won't be too huge, and if people are interested.

I want to see what they did with the WRX STi's brakes, and if it was effective, and if it costs less than the $3k+ of having the Legacy STi shelf parts imported.

Archived