LegacyGT.com

Car was in the ditch, what should I be looking for?

ovr9000

Looking to buy a better winter car, and I came across this add. It seems like a decent deal to me, but I'm worried about what else could be wrong after he put it in the ditch. Any help as to what to look out for during a walk around / test drive would be much appreciated

maybe look for if it pulls to one side, the steering wheel not being stright when the car is traveling straight. see if the core spport for the radiator is bent/damaged in any way.

The red flag to me is that after investing $6k in it over the last year or so, he cant fork over the $800 he claims will fix it all. must be something he knows that he is not telling.

Either way at that price it might not be a bad investment. good cheap fun, find another turbo car for under $3k...

The red flag to me is that after investing $6k in it over the last year or so, he cant fork over the $800 he claims will fix it all. must be something he knows that he is not telling.

That is exactly what I was thinking. Who does all that work and then decides to abandon the car when it needs less than $1000 worth of work? My guess is that there is frame damage and/or something got owned on the underside. I think it's still worth a look, but I'm not getting my hopes up about this one

He seemed like a pretty good guy who also has a love affair Subarus (06 2.5 wagon and a spec. b). There was a little bit of frame damage just in front of the rad, but no leaks, underside looked fine, carfax checks out and the car drove fine as far as I could tell. Unfortunately, 4 other people were there right after me so my offer of $2800 probably isn't gonna cut it haha.

He seemed like a pretty good guy who also has a love affair Subarus (06 2.5 wagon and a spec. b). There was a little bit of frame damage just in front of the rad, but no leaks, underside looked fine, carfax checks out and the car drove fine as far as I could tell. Unfortunately, 4 other people were there right after me so my offer of $2800 probably isn't gonna cut it haha.

So someone offered first? With cash in hand people are willing to negotiate a lot easier.

I bought it today for $1600 today, but the frame part that the rad attaches to is bent and pushed up about 3/4 (hence why the hood doesn't sit flush. The latch itself is fine). It might be fixable, but most likely it'll end up being a donor car for a 2002 wagon that my dad's friend owns. The wagon is in need of an engine transplant and worst comes to worst I'll have a parts car for the wagon whenever something dies. I'm still hoping it can be fixed though, I don't fancy doing an engine swap if I don't have to

Archived