LegacyGT.com

Lightening the Legacy?

I am looking to lighten my legacy. I want to do so at a low budget, meaning not buying outrageously expensive carbon fiber parts. More like what can i live without and shed some lbs. I weighed my car at the track and it came in at exactly 3300. I had to road trip it there so the spare, and a few extra things were in there. I have 13.5 lbs wheels so that shed some weight. Any suggestions will help. Want to get to about 3100.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What did you expect? It's a sedan! DSMs weigh the same thing and they're much smaller.

The car will do everything you'd ever want it to do if you just give it the right mods. That'll be much more enjoyable than stripping it into some sad version of a "tuner car."

Trade all glass for lexan....

That should do the trick!

Seat belt systems weigh a ton....very large bolts....

I had a saleen mustang and I gutted the entire thing... it was fun...

Oh... and I saved about 80lbs with teh Air Conditioner removal....

it was sweet!!!!

I loved my little two seater!

Remove AC, remove rear seats, remove spare, remove electric window motors (you won't be able to wind down the windows unless you can source the manual winders), remove headliner, remove music system and speakers, remove trunk linings and remove interior carpets.

You're probably better off just picking up a junk CRX, Civic Coupe or DelSol

Aside from any junk in the trunk, I suppose you could remove the passenger seat for the track. There's probably just a few bolts and a couple of wires holding it in place.

Don't know if the JDM bumpers are any lighter than the USDM ones. But, switching to that might save a couple of pounds.

Aside from that, you could bring your own fuel in DOT approved containers and just keep enough in the tank to do however many laps you need. At what 7 lbs per gallon (est), a full tank will weigh around 119 pounds. If you only intend to run 20 miles, for example, before stopping/pitting, you can shed most of that weight.

Probably don't need the owners manual, trunk carpeting, or floor mats.

It is. My Impreza had one.

CF hood is not always lighter than the OEM aluminum ones. My Z has an aluminum hood and all the aftermarket CF hoods are heavier than the stock one. In general, the hood is not a load bearing structure so it doesn't have to be very strong, it just has to strong enough to maintain its shape. CF's advantage is it's strength to weight ratio, not its weight. So for something that doesn't need to be very strong, CF is really not going to give you a whole lot of weight saving.

Wow this has really turned into a flame. I was just looking for a few pointers on some obvious things I could remove that dont obviously spoil the looks or drivability of the car. The light weight battery suggest was nice, seeing as Ill probably need a battery in the new future. I do track race the car, so lightening it will help me in the turns as well. I also drive the car to work. Thats why I love this car. I call it a SUC a sport utility car.

remove the hood, cut the roof off, cut the trunk floor off and put carton board as the floor, trash all the seats except the driver's, throw out stereo/AC/entire dashboard, take off the bumpers - all of this will be FREE

CF hood is not always lighter than the OEM aluminum ones. My Z has an aluminum hood and all the aftermarket CF hoods are heavier than the stock one. In general, the hood is not a load bearing structure so it doesn't have to be very strong, it just has to strong enough to maintain its shape. CF's advantage is it's strength to weight ratio, not its weight. So for something that doesn't need to be very strong, CF is really not going to give you a whole lot of weight saving.

Well fine, I dunno bout you guys' but my '99 hood is heavy. So CF would save me a good 20 - 30 lbs.

You guys are WAY off....remove driver!

B

That could be great from safety standpoint as well. Statistics show that 98% of driver injuries occur while the driver is in the car. (The other 2% weren't wearing seatbelts, but I think this could help them too.)

I started a "What if" thread on how light the Legacy GT could get just for the sake of science. Not endorsing weight reduction on LGT but if you want to check it out just look for threads started by my user name and check the posts starting with xenonx. After he posts the science begins!!!

how do you make a legacy light? - buy an Ariel Atom or Lotus Exige

You beat me to it, but I was going to suggest he just buy a Miata. For a 5-star safety rated, AWD, 2.5l turbo - 3300lbs is already pretty light by today's standards.

Archived